share your ND (negligent discharge) story!

I wont share my entire ND story, but I will say Jager bombs and malfunctioning bb guns do not mix.

Also charged with discharging a firearm within city limits at the ER.

Seriously? I would have fought that one tooth and nail. Airguns are NOT firearms. Damn Libtard hippies. bad_egg.gif

Rant aside, not sure if mine was an ND or just a "D-oh!!!" I bought my first SKS back in the 90's when they were still $50 new from China. I took it home, cleaned the cosmo out of it, and took it to the gravel pit we all shot at. I did the "load 2 rounds, fire, then load 3 rounds" test as the shop told me. Rifle ran those 5 like a champ. Well, zipped 10 off a stripper clip, pulled the bolt back to drop the BHO, let it fly, and "BRRIP!!!" The cycle rate on it was insane. Come to find out, I still had a chunk of cosmo in the firing pin channel, it melted during the initial check and re-gelled while I was testing my .380 Mak, and I had just experienced my first "slamfire".

Other one wasn't me, but another officer working under me. One of my duties as a field supervisor was to ensure the armed guards were trained and qualified. Also, I had to ensure they were taking care of the company weapons if they carried an issued piece(we used old S&W 59's we bought from the PD). One night, I was checking issued weapons, and the officer did the standard procedure. Drop the mag, clear the chamber, drop the hammer. When he dropped the hammer, he took out 2 computers and a desk lamp. We looked at each other like, "WTF?!?!", as I was watching him when he pulled the slide back and nothing came out(we always cupped our hand over the ejection port and let the round fall out the magwell, just as the instructor showed us). I broke the pistol down, and the ejector was snapped off, meaning the live round stayed under the extractor for the entire cycle. After that, we made doubly sure the chambers were empty, and no longer cupped the ejection port.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was 18, she was 22 and super hot. The damn thing went off in my pants and that was the end I what I thought was going to be one hell of a night...

When I was around 11, my old man dropped a deer and had me hang onto his .30-06. He had me put the barrel down on the ground on top of his gloves. He did'nt tell me not to pull the trigger, as I was l

Syndicate just reminded me (I don't know how I forgot) of my hillbilly-ass neighbors at my last house. They invited me to "shotgun bowling" in their backyard. Yes, it is exactly what it sounds like. W

Posted Images

^^^ uh, I am surprised you didnt just go to the judge alone, if it was an airgun. If that was it, it shoudl have been tossed out. The courts have ruled over and over that airguns are not firearms.

I wont share my entire ND story, but I will say Jager bombs and malfunctioning bb guns do not mix.

Also charged with discharging a firearm within city limits at the ER.

Seriously? I would have fought that one tooth and nail. Airguns are NOT firearms. Damn Libtard hippies. bad_egg.gif

Rant aside, not sure if mine was an ND or just a "D-oh!!!" I bought my first SKS back in the 90's when they were still $50 new from China. I took it home, cleaned the cosmo out of it, and took it to the gravel pit we all shot at. I did the "load 2 rounds, fire, then load 3 rounds" test as the shop told me. Rifle ran those 5 like a champ. Well, zipped 10 off a stripper clip, pulled the bolt back to drop the BHO, let it fly, and "BRRIP!!!" The cycle rate on it was insane. Come to find out, I still had a chunk of cosmo in the firing pin channel, it melted during the initial check and re-gelled while I was testing my .380 Mak, and I had just experienced my first "slamfire".

Other one wasn't me, but another officer working under me. One of my duties as a field supervisor was to ensure the armed guards were trained and qualified. Also, I had to ensure they were taking care of the company weapons if they carried an issued piece(we used old S&W 59's we bought from the PD). One night, I was checking issued weapons, and the officer did the standard procedure. Drop the mag, clear the chamber, drop the hammer. When he dropped the hammer, he took out 2 computers and a desk lamp. We looked at each other like, "WTF?!?!", as I was watching him when he pulled the slide back and nothing came out(we always cupped our hand over the ejection port and let the round fall out the magwell, just as the instructor showed us). I broke the pistol down, and the ejector was snapped off, meaning the live round stayed under the extractor for the entire cycle. After that, we made doubly sure the chambers were empty, and no longer cupped the ejection port.

I like to rescue SKS from Bubba's pawn all the time. I remember back in like 89-90 or so, people would say" these Chinese rifles dont start working good until they warm up." You wouldn't believe the Norinco's I have cleaned baked cosmo off the op rods and out of the receiver.

Closest I came was the night I got home on christmas leave from basic training. Grabbed my Colt AR-15, racked the charging handle, and was about to pull the trigger.......the charging handle was touching my nose.....looked at chamber.....doublefeed! Don't remember loading 20 in the mag, as I had cleaned it the day before I left for basic. Thank God for a mag failure!

The only AD I've had was with my grandfather's old Ithaca double barrel. One of the barrels can fire on it's own when the safety is removed. Caught me by surprize the first time as I brought the weapon up on a duck. On a 100 year old shotgun, something's got to break sometime!

Many years ago, a friend owned one of these old double barreled 12g's. May have been a little on the short side as well, haha... Anyhow, it was so long ago I can't remember the details except for the fact I was carrying it loaded, no finger on trigger, pointed at the ground, and.... BOOM. Fucker cut the webbing between my thumb and index finger with the breech lock. I never touched it again after that.

I've never ND'd but have witnessed plenty. I watched a buddy of mine in High School pull off a classic ND. We were in his room in the basement of his house and he just got a new deer hunting rifle. At the same time, his Mom was having a tea party or something in the living room directly above his room. He pulls it out, never cleared it, off with the safety, and pulls the trigger...BOOM! The round went up through his ceiling coming out directly under and through the glass coffee table in the room above which was full of his Mom's friends, then up into the ceiling in that room.

I have seen some pretty dumb shit in the Military as well. We had a situation involving some live rounds that made it back from Iraq in 2003 that were still loaded in a guy's mags, then inserted into a rifle and fired during an exercise at the OPFOR. (Ammo back then wasn't "controlled" on the two way range so there wasn't much accountability for it plus the fact we didn't get the old shake down when we left for home). The dude went through a mag of blanks first then grabbed the "hot" mag for a reload. His first round blew the blank firing device off the muzzle, the second one fired, then the weapon had a FTF. The exercise was halted nonetheless. Shit really hit the fan during that investigation as someone else that was with us in Baghdad was interviewed and claimed he accidently brought live rounds home too which he stated were actually at his home which is a big No No with Military ammo.

I've never "carried" with a round in the chamber. As a new gun owner, and having young kids around (15 years ago) it was an additional safety measure and one I continue to this day. My .45 Beretta does have a cross-block safety.

Safety "off" and racking the slide only takes a fraction of a second and it's well worth my peace-of-mind. 99% of scenarios I might be in will allow me that 1 second, as a civilian.

Edited by Sim_Player

A fraction of a second is plenty enough for a bad guy to blow you way while you try to rack your slide. If your carrying and it's not loaded it's next to useless, what if your shot in the off hand? How are you supposed to rack it them?

Deacon are you blaming your NDs on the .45ACP round? Cause I've never heard that it's an unsafe round?

I don't think carrying without a round in the chamber is bad, but you MUST practice chambering as part of your draw. The israelies actually carry without a mag or round in the chamber. They load the mag, chamber a round, and fire as part of the draw. Okay, its obvious you are quicker if locked and loaded, but its a tradeoff.

I personally do the same (unloaded but mag in gun). I do it for the same reasons. Kids are like a disease when they are young, they find their way everywhere. You have to be careful.

And now, to prove this is not a derail.

With my new 1911, I decided to try locked and loaded. I go for walks at night to relax before bed. I figured to try the 1911 locked and loaded. I was actually scared, but read so many threads about the same scared feeling, i decided to do it anyway. All went great on the walk. When I get home i sit down and pull the gun to unload and put it in the safe. My finger brushed the side of the trigger. My heart skipped a few beats. No, not a ND, but it shows you how habit can force an ND. I learned my lesson, I HOPE!

I carry with a round in the chamber, in a retention holster - a Serpa blackhawk. It's simple and functional, I press a button, and draw the pistol out with my finger alongside the trigger guard. No round in the chamber = more time for someone to shoot you first.

I carry with a round in the chamber, in a retention holster - a Serpa blackhawk. It's simple and functional, I press a button, and draw the pistol out with my finger alongside the trigger guard. No round in the chamber = more time for someone to shoot you first.

^This. I carried for three years on an empty chamber until I felt comfortable with Condition 1 carry. I thought it was a reckless practice until I realized that if a situation occurs where I must draw, it would be highly unlikely that I would have the time to rack one in.

That said, I do not recommend it for everyone. First time gun owners are almost certainly better off not carrying one in the pipe. Once a person has the experience and is comfortable (and safety-minded), I see no problem with it. Just my $.02

A fraction of a second is plenty enough for a bad guy to blow you way while you try to rack your slide. If your carrying and it's not loaded it's next to useless, what if your shot in the off hand? How are you supposed to rack it them?

Deacon are you blaming your NDs on the .45ACP round? Cause I've never heard that it's an unsafe round?

No, I still love the .45 and would not even suggest it is a problem. Just a bit of tongue in cheek there since the only two ND situations I had were with that caliber.

Strangely enough I have carried my AMT backup in .40 for the last 15 years without any issues of any sort and it is always chambered and locked with no safety. But it is also DAO.

^^^ uh, I am surprised you didnt just go to the judge alone, if it was an airgun. If that was it, it shoudl have been tossed out. The courts have ruled over and over that airguns are not firearms.

"The courts".... Which courts, in which jurisdictions, and for the purposes of which statutes? General statements like that are wrong more often than not.

I looked at a bunch of the city ordinances for towns neighboring my last place, and almost all of them had identical language in the dishcharge of a firearm within city limits statute that expressly defined black powder, blowguns, cross bows and air rifles as firearms for the purpose of those ordinances. Look at your local statutes, regs and ordinances, and pay attention to the "definitions" section. That's where most of the work is usually done. One of the local elected sheriffs or police cheif (I forget which, but the incident was in Sunnyside WA, circa 2001) actually got busted for shooting a pigeon in his yard shed with a pellet gun. I always kept a close eye on these, because the Mrs. Rev. Lovejoys of the area were trying to add paintball guns to the list.

I never keep any my guns with a round chambered just a full mag inserted. I had some friends over and they wanted to see my new vepr 12. I pulled it out of the safe took out the loaded 5rd mag and put in a empty 12 rounder. Picked the gun up from the grip finger on the trigger(reflex) BOOM! Buckshot went through my shoe through the floor. Missed my pinky toe by a centimeter. Never been so scared in my life. Now I take the extra caution of not puttin my finger on the trigger and visibly checking to see if there's a round in it.

Once my friend thought he was a bad ass and could shoot a computer with a 3inch magnum slug. The gun was a 12ga pistol grip Mossberg. He took aim, shot, the gun slammed into his nose and broke it. He didn't hit computer.