I am hoping that this year I will have enough preference points to draw a tag. In SC you have to have a line on the gator before your can dispatch. No long guns allowed on the boat. I took one of my old Matthews and put a Muzzy big game bow fishing rig on it. That should get to the boat. I am thinking of using my PMR-30 or m&p22 with a Boga grip float attached in case it goes over. My only concern with a round that small is ricochet off the skull. I have the standard pistol calibers too but I plan on getting some taxidermy work done so I don't want to use the 44 mag. Never hunted gators before. Anybody have any experience/suggestions?

Can ya beat'em with a Bat? That could be exciting!! I imagine you want the skin, and as little damage/holes as possible......I don't think Gators have notoriously thick skulls, so a .22 may just be perfect.

Note: I ain't never got me no Gators though......ate em, just not killed 'em. Sounds great, and good luck! Bring some meat to the Saiga12.com picnic!!!

.22 that's was they use on swamp people and they all kill hundreds a season I'd think they know what they are doing.

I have watched the the show..they also use long guns...trying to avoid the diggin lead out my face with a kitchen knife. LOL

22 magnum should work but I'd get a fairly cheap one like a Heritage Rough Rider 22LR/22M Combo Revolver in case it got dropped. If I lost a $150.00 gun I'd be saying damn. If I lost a $300.00+ gun I'd be saying DAMN / DAMN / DAMN....

Get a 22mag and run some rounds thru a chrono to see what they are doing, or maybe just use a regular 22 pistol with some stingers in it.

OH, I forgot.................Choot'em Killer, Choot'em :)

Edited by termite
  • Like 1

Gators are notoriously hard to kill, like most reptiles.

Most around here use a bang stick with a shotgun shell, but that does not help the skin.

Just be aware that they stun easy but wake back up sometime later.. I've heard it gets very exciting in the boat.

+1 Reptiles don't die the same way mammals do. Takes a lot longer and their nervous system can remain semi-active for a short period even when they really are dead. You've all heard the stories about how a severed snake head can still bite you... there ya go.

Good luck, and be careful! Hope ya get a big one!

The kill spot on a gator is about the size of a quarter, and having one on a line while its fighting back is a tuff shot with a pistol. Just means you have to get that much closer. A 5.7 would be sweet, but may be a tad overkill, as most folks in that part of the country seem to use .22 lr, mag and 17 HMR, but that is out of a rifle, so a 5.7 pistol may be a good choice, as a .22 pistol may or may not produce enough juice to offer a clean kill.

Everything I know I learned on swamp people, and they have showed everthing from .30-30 to pop a gator at range to the .22 mag revolver Liz used once. But the vast of hunters on there use .22 long rifle rifle that looks like it lives on the boat no less. So I would use what people that kill 200-300 a year use.

In fact I would use my browning take down .22 since it has been handed down through 3 men named samuel and will be given to my Samuel. That would be cool in my option.

3 generations have learned on that rifle and it's never broke anything. I'd bet over 100k have been shot through it and it still shoot 1" at 50 yards. And a fourth generation will learn on it. I think I've been the only person to detail strip the bolt it had a 1/2" of carbon in some places.

you dont need to get a cheapy gun all you need to do is add a lanyard with a brightly colored flotation device so if it is dropped you can recover it if your still alive

The kill spot on a gator is about the size of a quarter, and having one on a line while its fighting back is a tuff shot with a pistol. Just means you have to get that much closer. A 5.7 would be sweet, but may be a tad overkill, as most folks in that part of the country seem to use .22 lr, mag and 17 HMR, but that is out of a rifle, so a 5.7 pistol may be a good choice, as a .22 pistol may or may not produce enough juice to offer a clean kill.

PMR 30 weighs like 2 lbs loaded and I already have a Boga grip float I am almost sure that it will keep it a float...I am going to test in bucket this weekend..plus you have 30 rds so plenty of repeat chances to hit the quarter size spot...just my thinking. Just watching those boys on swamp people dig ricochets out of each other makes me a little nervousness. I sure that thing will be going ape shit at the side of the boat, arrows and lines going everywhere all in the dark.... I can't wait!

• Like 1

them there big lizards have hard heads. unless you want to simulate the TV folks, and maybe get your ass bit, use a 2/12" .410, and blast em. those folks do that every year for a living, dont be an idiot, go for overkill, and nail em dead.ir aint worth losing a hand over....

Ben makes sense however if you doing want to mess up the skin I would maybe test some .410 loads. I'm thinking a slug would do less damage than buckshot? I do t have much exp with the .410 but I think one hole is less damaging than a bunch of smaller holes.