Now that I have 15 rd magazines working, I find that my chokes are working loose between 15 and 20 rds fired.

The chokes are all Carlson Extended Tubes (Winchoke). The threads are nicely lubed with Birchwood Casey Choke Lube and torqued down a bit with a Briley wrench.

The chokes are Cyl, LM and Full.

Since this is to be used for 3 gun, I don't think its a good idea to check the choke in the middle of a stage so I need to do something.

Unless there are some good ideas out there, I'm looking at the hassle of teflon tape.

So, any good ideas?

Thanks.

Bill

But in my case I'm concerned that the tube will work loose far enough during a single high round count stage to do some harm.

After the 15 to 20 rds, I need to rotate it about 1/16 of a full rotation to get it tight again. No telling how far it will unscrew after 30 or 40 rounds and I do not know how far it can be unscrewed before it causes problems.

Bill

You folks jogged a few brain cells. I now remember a friend from my sporting clays days had this problem with his Beretta O/U.

His solution was to lube up the choke tube, then heat up the end of the barrel with a hot air blow dryer. After seating the choke, he would heat it up a second time and give it a little more torque.

The only problem was the blow dryer was needed to get the choke loose when it came time to clean the gun. And unlike a lot of other shooters, he put in a LM and left it in.

Thanks.

Bill

Clean (wipe) the lube out of the threads. Shoot several rounds with the choke out. Screw the choke in tight, yes tight, while the barrel is hot. Reverse process to remove the choke or use a heat gun for both.

You do NOT what to fire a shotgun with out a choke in as you could possibly damage the unprotected barrel threads.

i;ve got briley extended ported i switch out usually between Mod and full depending on the stages. they work loose also on big stages, this might be a bit getto of a fix but isometimes run a piece of brown pasting tape around the crease berween barel and choke on start of matches. that extra bit of hold seems to do the trick.

I have a brass rod I use to tighten my goober, never comes loose, I don't make it gonzo tight, just a little beyond what my hand can

Damn, I didn't realize you were into that sort of thing. haha.gif

Edited by JeremyT