It has been a crazy week to say the least. Last Sunday we weren't even thinking of buying a new home and by Tuesday we had an offer in and accepted.

I was kinda farting around online and stumbled upon this place that had just come up for for sale. The next day we had a realtor friend take us through it. As we pulled up to the house I knew we were gonna buy it before we even got out of the car.

This is pretty much our ideal home. It sits on 20 acres about 15 minutes from my work. It feels very secluded. The current owners have done well with fire/fuels mitigation and the structure itself is fire resistant. The construction is top notch. The layout is absolutely perfect for our needs. It is minimalist. It is super energy efficient. There are multiple sources of heat. It has 935 gallons of rain water storage. It has a nice start to a garden. We can have chickens, pigs and a cow or two. The views are amazing. I'm in love!!!

We will get it inspected on Wednesday. We have worked our asses off prepping our current home for sale, as everything is contingent on it selling. I don't see that being a problem. For the last three years I have poured all my extra money at my current house. That was probably the best decision I have ever made because it has put us in a position to buy this without getting stretched too thin. Having said that, it's pretty high end for a guy that digs ditches for a living.

Here's some photos for your viewing pleasure.

84cb35df5d0838c660a32ffa6f7c6045_zps4ae2

e7246514f4bf4f66ca1eeac7a056de13_zps76fb

05ac0815039016953f8b94e3d15f47cf_zps1eb9

bac8d32d1f25820281a081dae294234e_zps6245

ddf669bace3ad2671bd06e023d52ec34_zps14cf

859b7426498c12e3c967e333c474d7fc_zpscdd7

681584764862b38a7d30d7dff099838c_zps15f9

6cef30f119856e8685868a4b387f48b9_zps4bb0

73f8952d92b301bc9aab0a8e1b3613ef_zps4464

6536cfa5924900d33bb02e349888325e_zps4964

4208cd10e3a809198ee2cbf57fa37873_zpsfb62

5155b38755fb6d8d012136c157667e85_zps6aee

Woohoo!

• Like 6

Wow! Beautiful, that's close to my ideal home if I had the money to build my own. Congratulations! I bought my first house last year, it's 5 years old and a little under 3000 sq feet, I was pretty proud since a lot of guys my age live in someone else's house.

Can you shoot there????!

Can you shoot there????!

Not really. That is certainly a negative. I can shoot short range (pistol, shotgun) but probably won't. However, there is BLM land close by that offers unlimited shooting opportunities.

That house is awesome. The previous owner was a total hippie but, that is to your advantage if you are into all that survivalism stuff. A few firing lines and some sand bags and you can turn that into a compound! :) The bathroom is cool. Nice shitter, looks like a toto. You could probably get away with mopping off the entire bathroom and then hosing it down. I always wanted a bathroom I could pressure wash.

Hope you get a go on the inspection. That's a really rad home.

Congrats on finding your dream. I totally understand what you mean by having the light bulb flash on when you know it is the one. Wife und I found and bought ours 2 years ago. When I first came upon it I didn't have anything to write the info down with so I chucked the realtor's sign in the trunk -- thereby killing two birds with one stone. Hoping all goes well.

Very nice SB. What state is this in?

I've got around 3600sf and sure would like to down size but still have too many damn kids living with me. Now my oldest who lives in my finished basement which is basically a 1 bedroom apt has a new girl friend that I'm guessing will be spending more and more time here. Uggghhh... They move out. Then they come back and bring more people with them.

That is awesome Sunnybean. I'd be on that balcony every morning with my cup of coffee soaking up the view. I am looking to do the same thing with land, just haven't found the right property in the right location yet. My wife laughs at me because one of the requirements is it has to have at least 500 yrds line of sight on the property for a rifle lane. Yeah, I know I'm picky. Good luck with the sale of your existing place.

Thanks for all the positive waves. After a week it's still pretty surreal. I feel like the luckiest guy in the world.

To answer some of your questions, it's located in Montana. Yes, there are three full baths and not one shower curtain/door. 3100 sq. ft. for the two of us. My wife works from home and this place will allow her to triple her current operation. No on the bomb shelter but as soon as I can rent a compact excavator it will have a nice root cellar. There is a detached two car garage. Now that I think about it, digging a magazine into the hillside might not be a bad idea. Yes, no lawn! The mower, spreader, and fertilizer have already been spoken for. The owners have done an awesome job of pulling all the weeds. The vegetation will be easy to care for across the entire property.

Congrats...Same thing happend to us a few years ago. I understand getting the feeling. Signed a non contingent contract on a Fri. Put our old house on the market on th following Sun..It hasn't all been roses. I have two young boys and everytime see a lizard without a tail I know it was the right choice. Good Luck and enjoy!

I've got a life long friend that lives in Roundup, Mt. About 45 minutes north of Billings. He's offered me one of his properties (can't remember the exact acreage) at the price he paid for it ten years ago. It already has power, all I would need to do is grade the lot myself, get a friend to do the septic, slap a double wide on that bitch, and live it up. We did some figuring one day, and depending on how fancy we got with the home, could put this all together for just over the 100k or so mark. My wife is an ICU nurse and not ready to slow down just yet so she's not on board with this or I'd have already been gone.

I could live up there no problem. Work in billings 7 month's outta the year and stay home for the winter seeing my buddy said he could easily get me a job running equipment at the plant he works at.

So.... yer killing me SB. I'll just have to live vicariously through you and my friend till the kids get outta school in a few years.

I'm kinda surprised that you have 20 acres yet you cant shoot??? I know on my friends land, there's a spot we can see the nearest neighbor, but shooting is still not even close to being a problem.

My wife's mom and stepfather are moving to a place in Roundup. I would say I was looking forward to visiting, but I can't stand my wife's stepfather. One of the few people in life who repeatedly pushes my "punch in the face" button.

Edited by mancat

My wife's mom and stepfather are moving to a place in Roundup. I would say I was looking forward to visiting, but I can't stand my wife's stepfather. One of the few people in life who repeatedly pushes my "punch in the face" button.

Head up there, knock his ass out, then enjoy a few hours with the ladies.boxing.gif

Roundup is out there for sure. The Main Street is like a ghost town but there are some neat areas around there.

I would describe the town as economically depressed. He doesn't care as he lives outside town on a bunch o property.