Lots of judgment getting passed out here. I regret making the topic, as a friendly request for advice

turned into a laundry list of conflicting edicts, and now is a summary execution of my character.

If the moderators would please lock it, I'd appreciate it.

Edited by Voltia

What I like to do with FTF is INSIST on CHL, and if not bill of sale.

My policy is simple. No guns brought out till BOTH of you have exchanged ID's, checked state, name, pic and expiration dates. Also I try to pick a busy location, preferably a place that sells guns. With a LARGE parking lot where we can meet in the open. That way if they are planning a heist they'll have to do it in plane open view of plenty potential witnesses. Also if it came down to nasty being in the open empty section less chance of striking unintentional target.

A buddy is good, but have him stay in the car, so you don't seem like your trying to rob him. It would be easy to misunderstand intentions, the more comfortable the both of you are the more likely you are to make good observations of the guns your potentially going to trade/sale/buy.

Day light, LOTS of people around, and a "piece" on your side (concealed), and your friend not be noticed by this guy, just in case an extra cap needs to be busted in his ass. Do you have any clue as to what he looks like or what he'll be driving, or wearing. I'd want to know something about who I was meeting, or did you just tell him you'd be standing out in the parking lot with a hand full of cash like you was looking for a $500.00 HO. Sorry if I offend you, but I work too hard for my money to have some thug TRY and take it, because one of us is going to have a bad day if he trys, and I want to do everything I can to insure it's not me.

Day light, LOTS of people around, and a "piece" on your side (concealed), and your friend not be noticed by this guy, just in case an extra cap needs to be busted in his ass. Do you have any clue as to what he looks like or what he'll be driving, or wearing. I'd want to know something about who I was meeting, or did you just tell him you'd be standing out in the parking lot with a hand full of cash like you was looking for a $500.00 HO. Sorry if I offend you, but I work too hard for my money to have some thug TRY and take it, because one of us is going to have a bad day if he trys, and I want to do everything I can to insure it's not me.

Good points too! I like to get there an hour or so early and sit back away from where I plan to meet just to see if they show up alone or not. But in doing so in the past I've learned that large parking lots tend to have a lot of lurkers at any given time.

Don't park next to medians or other things where you can be boxed in. Make them go to your choosen spot, by not being where you agreed to meet. Then park facing the opposite direction. Simple innocuous things.. can make the difference between a good target and a bad one.

Edited by poolingmyignorance

Personally, i doubt he really has the rifle. There are a lot of scammers on armslist, one of which was discussed a while back. Not sure how he could scam you with a FTF, but I won't deal with anyone who won't give a name and show a legal ID. Just my thoughts.

Going to try an face to face transaction tomorrow. Guy is selling a rifle I want,

so we'll meet at this hotel lot we discussed halfway between us.

Seems ok, although he doesn't want to give a name, and his cell phone is associated

with selling a lot of shit online atm. If I do this, I'll bring a buddy along.

I've got no real fear of buying from a dude who moves a lot of stuff, legal or not.

More worried about being held up, but that's what the friend is for, and the truck gun.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Sting. F2F needs to be resident of same state and be able to prove it. No names? Come on... I hope you are smarter than that.

Private sale of tools happen every day here in Montana. It's as common as going to a yard sale. You just assume everybody is armed and knows how to shoot well. It would be a really stupid state to rip someone off that way.

The no names thing is odd. I ask to see their ID and have them sign a piece of paper that says, "I'm not a felon and I can leally own firearms." I give them a bill of sale with my name on it. It's the buyer's problem if they state they are legal and are not able to own weapons.

If someone seems sketchy, tweaked, high or drunk, I do not sell to them. Only had one guy try to buy a revolver when he was drunk. Told him to call me when he sobered up and never heard back from him.

To be honest with you, if the guy does not want you to know his name. Run, don't walk, to a dealer who has the same rifle.

Good luck.

Going to try an face to face transaction tomorrow. Guy is selling a rifle I want,

Seems ok, although he doesn't want to give a name, and his cell phone is associated

I've got no real fear of buying from a dude who moves a lot of stuff, legal or not.

More worried about being held up, but that's what the friend is for, and the truck gun.

You are a dumbass for even thinking about this deal.

Open your eyes and see the red flags.

1. He doesn't want to give his name

2. Phone number is linked to "a lot of shit online atm."

3. Hotel lot "halfway between us"

At least do the deal at a gun range or someplace with good security cameras.

And no.....a Walmart lot won't work. Look how many crimes are already being committed in those lplaces.

Let the seller know you want to meet in a place with good cameras, and see if he starts craw fishing.

• Like 1

Lots of judgment getting passed out here. I regret making the topic, as a friendly request for advice

turned into a laundry list of conflicting edicts, and now is a summary execution of my character.

Edited by Voltia

Went through with it. Brought a buddy along who was on his way home from work.

Rifle was as advertised, dude was a little evasive, but was about 100 lbs smaller than

me and wasn't armed (which I was), so I wasn't too worried. My buddy stood back, I

looked the rifle over, called it good, handed cash over, looked some more while he counted,

we shook hands, and he left. Rifle is NIB and test fired, as promised.

I would have cared much more about his info had I been selling a gun, instead of buying one.

Since I don't know anything, literally, about the dude, anything he's done is his own business.

We can certainly continue the discussion, but I'm pretty happy with what I got. (I thought the one

mag was going to be a factory mag, not an off brand, but oh well.)

In response to a couple points above, you can buy a long gun, which this was, face to face, as

not a resident of the state you're in, if that applies to you or him. Pistols, according to the law,

must be both in home state, though I disagree with that law, personally.

Having a friend, and gun, is good. He had just himself and some basketball shorts that wouldn't

have concealed a screwdriver, let alone a pistol. My friend commented, oh, that's why your shirt's untucked,

after the dude left and I offered to show him the sidearm, so that worked for me.

No hard feelings about much of anything, though the dude was sketchy. I would not have met him at my place.

You probably bought a stolen rifle..

Or the guy is just paranoid.

Or you bought a stolen rifle.

• Like 1

Rifle was as advertised, dude was a little evasive, but was about 100 lbs smaller than

me and wasn't armed (which I was), so I wasn't too worried. My buddy stood back, I

looked the rifle over, called it good, handed cash over, looked some more while he counted,

I would have cared much more about his info had I been selling a gun, instead of buying one.

Since I don't know anything, literally, about the dude, anything he's done is his own business.

We can certainly continue the discussion, but I'm pretty happy with what I got. (I thought the one

In response to a couple points above, you can buy a long gun, which this was, face to face, as

not a resident of the state you're in, if that applies to you or him. Pistols, according to the law,

Having a friend, and gun, is good. He had just himself and some basketball shorts that wouldn't

have concealed a screwdriver, let alone a pistol. My friend commented, oh, that's why your shirt's untucked,

after the dude left and I offered to show him the sidearm, so that worked for me.

No hard feelings about much of anything, though the dude was sketchy. I would not have met him at my place.

You probably bought a stolen rifle..

Or the guy is just paranoid.

Or you bought a stolen rifle.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This whole thread is sketchy. You must have bought it at a good price to take all those risks. I'm sure you don't have any intent to run a NICS or contact your local law enforcement agency to check the serial number. You asked for all this advice and took very little of it From this statement I suspect your buddy wasn't even armed. "My friend commented, oh, that's why your shirt's untucked, after the dude left and I offered to show him the sidearm, so that worked for me."

It's very disappointing to know people are so willing to purchase suspected stolen firearms.

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter
  • Like 1

I hate to say anything, but the last three posters were 100% spot-on. I would bet dollars to donuts its a stolen gun. I am disappointed that one of this group would go that route, though I know this is the internet and there is a lot of people I don't know here.

Good luck with it, and don't get caught by an officer who wants to run those numbers!

I don't think this thread should be locked, or deleted because there is some good food for thought for others whom might find themselves in a similar scenario.

It worked out for you, which is fine, but honestly yes everybody passes judgment in some form or another. The one statement you made that I found a little disturbing was something along the lines of " He seems a little sketchy" and " I'm not concerned with his business, I just don't want to get robbed". Now I'm busting your balls about the stolen rifle thing. It's possible, but it could be that the guy is just a socially awkward, and maybe a little intimidated by the process.

Moral of the story is.. think before you post, and don't get butt hurt if it doesn't work out the way you planed. I'm sure there was something in this thread that was useful to you. If not, then you winged it and got lucky.

• Like 1

I sure do appreciate the forum's quoting system...

Voltia's 1st post:

Voltia's 2nd post:

Voltia's 3rd post:

As for the issue of locking this thread, I say keep it open as a reminder to all of what not to do.

• Like 1

Typically, when someone amends their posts to a "lock this" comment, other people are respectful

and cease from offering further comment. It is unfortunate that some people cannot grasp that notion.

I sure do appreciate the forum's quoting system...

Voltia's 1st post:

Voltia's 2nd post:

Voltia's 3rd post:

As for the issue of locking this thread, I say keep it open as a reminder to all of what not to do.

Damn.

Typically, when someone amends their posts to a "lock this" comment, other people are respectful

and cease from offering further comment. It is unfortunate that some people cannot grasp that notion.

Let's clearly state it so everyone's on the same page.

Once you put it on the internetz, it becomes the internetz...

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter
  • Like 1

Before we close it, lets at least clear up some bad info:

It does not matter whether it is a rifle or a pistol in regards to the private sale of a firearm between non-licensees. From the BAFTE website FAQ:

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(B)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

The out-of-state long gun purchases must come from FFL holders, and no out-of-state handgun purchases are allowed at all. Not trying to spank your peepee as MFWHIC put it, but just correcting bad info that someone else might think is factual.

NO it is still hear to read! I guess the topic is not closed.....no matter how much you say it is! Perhaps your crying about it keeps it open longer?

Your name calling in this thread may not go well for your cause!

I'm not sure how many times I have to repeat it, you stupid Eskimo, but the topic is closed,

How about we ask the moderator to send your IP address along with a copy of this thread to the local authorities? Then we'd truly find out if this topic is closed.

As for your racist comment. Say that to the wrong person up here you'd better plan on having your buddy carry this time. It would be more accurate if you called me a stupid redneck, honkey, or cracker. It just doesn't have the same punch when one white guy calls another white guy an ethnic slur.

Like Remek said, enjoy your rifle just don't get caught with it.