Cutting the Weld on the Folding Stock and Finish Touch-Up??

I am currently waiting on my VEPR-12 FSF to arrive and I plan to replace the correct number of parts with US parts and cut the weld on the stock so that it becomes a correct VEPR-12 folder again. Has anyone done theirs yet (come on, I know some of you have). If so, please post your experience thus far.

Also, what is the best way to touch up the finish on the VEPR-12 after the weld is cut/ground? Thanks!!

If I get mine tomorrow, I will hit that bitch with a dremel or file.

Once it's split open, will file the parts a bit and hit them with some paint temporarily. Will have it refinished as part of the build process. Something that doesn't melt off so easily.

• 11 months later...

I put a small flat head screw driver in the fold button to keep it open and like you gonna break a stick just kick the shit out of it near the hinge with the barrel on a slightly higher surface preferably one that wont scratch your barrel I also did a lil cutting with a hacksaw but I think it can be done without any cutting like someone else mentioned

That's a small weld but it penetrated deep and the washed some of the receiver into the weld making it noticeable after separation. Also I believe they use the out-of-spec folders for us fixed stock version. Good way to burn up crappy parts. Mine took a large amount of filing before it would lock in the open position. The material had to be take off the entire mating surfaces. Also the latch release on the left side did not engage into the internal lock on folder. So when you deployed stock and it locked, the release would not engage. There was no way to unlock it to fold. Just had to beat it until latch let go. Had to file even more off the mating surfaces to allow it to open and lock far enough to reach the external release.

Ik whan whan huh. But it does work now! And it's awesome. Now to fix the comb that won't stay put.

Mine was securely welded!

Mine looked exactly like that; a good bead with penetration.  It was pretty easy to get open using a jewelers saw and cleaned up with a file.  My flat black tough-up pen didn't match and I have a gloss black pen inbound.  I believe it'll be fine...  

IMG_2619_zpsa6dd48b6.jpg

IMG_2618_zps6d95ebf1.jpg

IMG_2617_zpsf0520631.jpg

IMG_2615_zps7dcec81b.jpg

IMG_2621_zps7bb81866.jpg

Edited by Kokopelli
  • Like 1

I simply filed the weld with the stock open till I was able to slap it with my hand and break the weld the it worked fine. No final filing.And wagnikov I wonder if they require a bit of hand fitting to unlock and lock properly and they don't do that and that's the reason you had issues? I had none.

I mean hand fitting at the factory.

You don't really need to grind it down.

The weld is so weak you could just tap the stock with rubber hammer and it will open up.

I already see a crack on my weld... Of course, I wouldn't go further without proper parts first.

Not mine, even after 10 minutes with a dremel and whacking it with a rubber mallet it was not budging.  My weld was even bigger than Wagnikov's

Nuh hun. Mine was BIGGER! Lol there may have been some with very light welds. I work with welding and steel everyday. I got a 9" wildcat if need be. But they are burning these welds in nice, and after filing flush and scoring down the parting line I had to hold down on the receiver and hang the stock out in the open and beat it with a dead blow 20+ times. Now don't get me wrong the gun was never going to win. But it was enough to loosen the pins where the two tubes go in the back of the folding mechanism. So yeah I was bummed. The hinge locks tight but the stock rattles now. So I'm going to remove the stock. Deepen the notch in the cheek riser(so it will stay put) and reposition the stock parallel to the reciever and weld it in place. I'm not trying to scare anyone away from restoring the folder. Just know, it will probally show some minor hints of the weld, may require fitting, and if your buying a hammer for the project buy the next size bigger!

I may be strange  but I use my guns pretty hard, and they get all kinds of beat up out in the field.

I wouldnt worry too much about a tiny defect left over from a  weld.

Looks like I may have to order one of these, looks like a fun thing to play with

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

I may be strange but I use my guns pretty hard, and they get all kinds of beat up out in the field.

I wouldnt worry too much about a tiny defect left over from a weld.

Looks like I may have to order one of these, looks like a fun thing to play with

Jim

this mine was very small and a needle file and one min took care if that. Refinishing?? Who cares it's like a tiny spot. Like miniscule compared to what will happen riding in the trunk