Ok. I'd like to see the reports? And were they legal silencers? Or something someone worked up in their shop? I've yet to see or know anyone that's put their prints and pictures in file with the ATF willing to do anything remotely illegal with that registered item.

I'm not saying pochers haven't used silencers I'm saying they were proably illegal silencers to begin with.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's a total miss conception about giving up your rights under the 4TH. The ATF can ask you to produce the weapon at whatever time, they will call and make an appointment to meet you and they CAN NO

Look here in the "NFA section" and you don't need a licence. What you really want is a good trust designed for the purpose, and a tax stamp. The cans are feasible, but transferable automatics are very

So, from this, I take it the best way to protect a stamped item, if you are worried about your demise, and inheritance by others, is to run a trust? Is that the consensus?

I take it back one time I found a guy using a REGISTERED weapon and silencer I copied and pasted this from silencertalk.

Well, I looked it up. According to WestLaw searches, there have only been 2 reported cases involving use of a suppressor while poaching. Martin, (Texas 1994)- in October 1991, Mr. Martin got caught road hunting at 3AM with a full auto AR and a suppressor and two dead deer in the truck. Plead guilty to four misdemeanor charges and forfeited his AR and can. I assume both were registered since no other prosecution. He only fought the forfeiture.

Williams, (TN 1997)- In January 1991, Mr. Williams got caught poaching deer in Great Smoky Mountains National Park and plead guilty to a misdemeanor violation of 16 USCA § 403h-3- (poaching in GSM National Park). Later found guilty of 26 USCA §5861(d)- possession of unregistered silencer. Not a misdemeanor. Got 18 months, two years supervised release with a special condition prohibiting him from possessing a firearm or other dangerous weapon, and a $50 fine. Don't really understand the special condition.

One registered suppressor while poaching- only charged with misdemeanors. One unregistered suppressor while poaching, definetly a felony.

Ok. I'd like to see the reports? And were they legal silencers? Or something someone worked up in their shop? I've yet to see or know anyone that's put their prints and pictures in file with the ATF willing to do anything remotely illegal with that registered item.

I'm not saying pochers haven't used silencers I'm saying they were proably illegal silencers to begin with.

This. After the expense and time waiting, myself nor any of my friends are not going to even slightly risk loosing our toys.

So, from this, I take it the best way to protect a stamped item, if you are worried about your demise, and inheritance by others, is to run a trust? Is that the consensus?

Protection and lack of finger printing, sending in your pics, etc.

you are an entity and not an individual.

You can amend and add people at any time.

Just remember if you don't do the trust you can still leave then to an heir with a no tax transfer. A trust will allow you to let anyone as a trustee in the trust use and posses the items.

A trust is a fine idea but costs go up as you need to pay a lawer to do it right. Is used to save time in the process but nor anymore. You cansearcg the NFA tracker and that's a site where people can report on their times from mailing the forms to your check wing cashed to getting it back in the mail. Its a good place to look to get an idea of current wait times.

Always wondered why they were so afraid of suppressors.

Full Auto I can imagine a reason for at least, but cans?

Still like the idea of making ones own after getting the paperwork done, a two-for as you now are legal and educated.

I've picked up an atty's card yesterday from my LGS that does trusts for $300. I'mma go that way for sure as I want my family to be able to not only have the item if I croak, but more importantly be able to shoot it legally while I'm alive. Still gotta research cans as I only want to have to buy once.

John remember your NFA items they can still be left to your heirs if you die not matter the way you get them.

But a trust would allow the items to be possessed by any trustee legally. If they are owned by you and not a trust only you may posses them.

• Like 1

I've picked up an atty's card yesterday from my LGS that does trusts for $300. I'mma go that way for sure as I want my family to be able to not only have the item if I croak, but more importantly be able to shoot it legally while I'm alive. Still gotta research cans as I only want to have to buy once.

They can use your NFA items legally as long as you are present FYI.

• Like 1

They can use your NFA items legally as long as you are present FYI.
Yep. No ones playing with my toy$ unless I'm there.

I am mostly going to butt out of this thread, but I want to add that a huge benefit of a well designed trust is that you can have multiple beneficiaries while you are alive or dead. A married guy with the NFA item in his name risks leaving his wife in possession and control of an NFA item when he isn't in the house...

A trust could theoretically be set up to benefit a whole organization, such as the local gun club, or at least the directors. (NFA of 1934 wanted businesses like banks and pinkertons to be able to buy MGs, etc. Just not you common rabble. It is much easier to make a non human entity like a trust obtain and share weapons.) I plan to make most of my trusted family members and a few friends beneficiaries, so I could leave any toys (& papers) I get legally with them, without having to be present. You must be present with papers if it is in your name alone. Big drawback, small savings, much harder to get approval by CLEO.

• Like 1

Get some CANS man. Good ones do not wear out. My Elite Iron Echo 6" .22rf cans now have over 10K thru them and once in awhile I just un screw the cap and take out the baffles, pop them apart and clean them; then re assemble. Superior sound reduction also. Stainless steel. Replaceable parts available from manufacture. Full auto rated. $Spendy$, but doable. Some day a Norrill 10-22 "auto pak"? Dream on dipshit (me). HB of CJ (old coot) all NFA rules apply. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

• Like 1

It easy to get a CLEO to sign off if you live in "free" America. And HB I think if your going to replace any silencer part it must go back to a class 2 SOT. Unless it's a thread adapter or a recoil booster it's a silencer part and totally controlled.

depends on how the can is made which is why I want to get the 5.56 Gemtech if there is a catastrophic baffle strike due to the design I can get parts, there's a video on it. Also the new Alpines and Outbacks have the same set up. There's a video of their new line with the QD set ups they have and it explains all of it, due to my phone being a raging ass on forums I can't get it to post.

Generally, no, they can't. Silencer parts are considered silencers in and of themselves, unless possessed by a licensed manufacturer, or they are part of a registered can. YHM will replace my can's baffle stack - if I send them the can and they keep/destroy/whatever the old baffle stack and send back the can with a new stack.

If you had a license to deal in class 3 weapons thEy still can search your hone without a warrant. If it's your place of business they cab inspect it but you don't give up your rights to deal in title 2 firearms.

To the OP... if you want to get into suppressors and full autos, a quick post like what you have done is fine for preliminary research but you have a long, long way to go. There are dedicated forums like NFAtalk.org that will answer every step of the process (you just have to read) and even the NFA board here has tons of useful information from people that have been through the process numerous times. The ATF website also has the majority of the paperwork and regulations available for download as well.

The hearsay on the Internet and in gun stores that all your Constitutional Rights go up in smoke is OUTRIGHT BULLSHIT and NOT TRUE!

The NFA stamps are not digital at this point and there is not an evil database of all the targets the government wants to snuff out first because we have NFA weapons. It took 11 months and two weeks to process my paperwork for a simple change of address on one of my suppressor stamps - I had gotten another stamp at my new address in the meantime before they processed my change of address.

You do have to go through lots of legal hoops and paperwork and it is expensive, but worth the benefits that SBR's, Suppressors and Autos offer if you are a true collector or use the weapons for other legal purposes like hunting, recreation, defense or training.

SOT is not something to take lightly as you will face serious legal and financial troubles if you are using it to build your own collection and not operating it as a business. If you are operating an SOT out of your house (rather than a commercial building), this is the only time where the ATF can legally inspect your home without a warrant.

FUN FACT: The Supreme Court ruled that felons cannot be convicted of NFA charges on a Form 1 - only state "Felon in Possession of a Firearm" related charges (most that have much smaller penalties) due to the NFA process requiring felons to violate their 5th Amendment rights and self incriminate themselves if they manufacture an NFA weapon out of a weapon they already illegally possess (Haynes v. United States, 390 U.S. 85 1968).

I think everyone here understands that a class 3 dealer deals in these weapons. Is there someone who clearly was refering to these as class three weapons, versus weapons that must come only through a class three dealer?

OMFG PEOPLE I am about to pull my hair out...there is no such thing as a class 3 weapon. fuck, for people giving out "advice" you should stfu and learn a little about it first.

Even dealers use that stupid misnomer. Title II weapons rule :D

there isnt even such thing as a class 3 dealer. "understanding" is subjective. if you want to talk legal terms and this by all means is a literal legal matter, then the proper term should be used. the classes only refer to a special tax...they are 07 dealers, typically...yes shandlanos, dealers even perpetuate the bs term

Is there something in the air tonight? So much down-the-nose talk. 4 posts on 2 sites tonight.

Beefcake, it would be much more productive to explain it all, rather than leave us out of your loop.

Meantime, I want me some class 10 weaps, they gotta be better, right! (insert cackling head her - i just dont have the option lately from this pad)

• Like 1