Industrialist .223

I do like fluted barrels. perhaps you could do a pattern of dimples all over the barrel with a drill on your kitchen table. Like that knight's armament honeycomb pattern, or a golf ball. Then you will have the classiest Kalashnikov ever. *

* or the most pathetic botch job

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fuck'n sexy bitch right there!

There you go, nice workaround !

Its almost mandatory. I like to push myself to just how far I can go, and see the result. I like what your doing with this thing NB.

Posted Images

No sense in worrying about fluting the barrel till I get the rest of this done properly...

Been fiddling with the LINCH cover, and I'm hitting delays.

Removal of the rear of the dust cover allowed some flex in the top cover, This makes sense as you've removed a end from a semi-box structure and weakened it. This however is a issue when you want to mount your charging handle to this structure. Obviously this wasn't going to work, and sure enough while it works fine with a straight pull, rough treatment like it can expect sometimes causes the pin in the linch to jump the bolt carrier.

PB190090.JPG

this set me to covering the basics: strengthen the connections the LINCH cover has. First up, the original dust cover for the Tech sights had holes not slots to hold it in place. this would be the first area for improvement. Some washers were welded to the dust cover to increase contact. Couldn't find any washers that sat tight enough, so I used undersized ones and drilled them out. The idea here is to add metal to the washers on the inside, and some on the outside to eventually blend this reinforcement in. In the process like seen here its ugly. I'm only able to add a small amount of metal at a time due to the thin metals and worrying about the heat treated rails. eventually it will be built up, and shaped.

PB190082.JPG

PB190088.JPG

This accomplished, I tested it. Better, but same effect. So metal was added to the front to give a extremely tight fit in the front groove where the dust cover meets up with the front sight block. Originally I thought I would use my .50 cal bottle opener as a backer to absorb heat and not bind... Brass right? WRONG. Its only washed to look like a real .50 BMG casing, and I welded the bottle opener to the dust cover. I ruined more of the finish removing it from the LINCH, but saved the Linch. It still opens bottles, not like I really need another bottle opener in the garage anyway...

PB190083.JPG

PB190085.JPG

Still under rough treatment it would occasionally jump the carrier.

The pin is heat treated, so I don't want to mess with that...

I'm thinking the answer is to build up the area on the carrier to give better contact. More updates once I get back to a TIG machine with some 309 wire...

While I respect anyone who will jump into the fray and do custom work on guns... I think Kalashnikov, were he still a young man, would beat you with a vodka bottle.

It seems you really wanted a rear mounted sight... there's a certain dust cover, with rails, that can accept a rear peep from the same company... under 200 and you have essentially what you've already done.

Idk why you're having such a tough time with making a left side charging handle, but I wish you the best.

Im not saying what you're doing is wrong. I like it. Might not me my style, but I like it. That said, it'd be nice if these rifles had an optionto effectively use picatinny front and rear sights... although, I'm also curious as to why its so hard to find low profile sights.

Really wasn't looking for more rails. I have only what I need for a micro, even went through the trouble of removing rails from the handguard

As far as sights, I've done the dust cover mount. Not what i wanted for this build.

While I respect anyone who will jump into the fray and do custom work on guns... I think Kalashnikov, were he still a young man, would beat you with a vodka bottle.

It seems you really wanted a rear mounted sight... there's a certain dust cover, with rails, that can accept a rear peep from the same company... under 200 and you have essentially what you've already done.

Idk why you're having such a tough time with making a left side charging handle, but I wish you the best.

Im not saying what you're doing is wrong. I like it. Might not me my style, but I like it. That said, it'd be nice if these rifles had an optionto effectively use picatinny front and rear sights... although, I'm also curious as to why its so hard to find low profile sights.

Simply put, basic conversions can get boring after a while.

That's a good way of putting it.

Another is I'm a habitual tinkerer, and can't keep myself from modifying things to make them "mine"

Yep. I like seeing folks go the extra mile and make it truly one of a kind and unique. Thats what I like about this project NB.

ER309 added! More than needed, so I could remove and make it look pretty again. Engagement with LINCH pin is SOLID. Couldn't ask for more, so the standard charging handle has been shaved off. That's commitment.

Now I need to do some welding on the dust cover, and some cleanup and this may be ready for paint.

The only thing that might hold me back at this point is the funnel.

PB200103.JPG

PB200105.JPG

PB200106.JPG

Thats fuckin cool. I wanna see how it will shoot.

You and me both.

I can't speak for accuracy yet, but as the gas system has shown it will cycle most anything, and standard 193C will eject about 9 yards to the right and slightly forward. Dents the brass every time. Might have to make a buffer for that...

Thats fuckin cool. I wanna see how it will shoot.

You and me both.

I can't speak for accuracy yet, but as the gas system has shown it will cycle most anything, and standard 193C will eject about 9 yards to the right and slightly forward. Dents the brass every time. Might have to make a buffer for that...

Sweet. I dont know if I would. Most .223 AK's Ive shot seemed to be a bit overgassed, but nothing too bad IMO. But all of mine will sling the casings regardless of the loads. Im glad that its cycling most shit youve thrown at it. Thats always a good sign.

• 3 weeks later...

...okay gents.

I know I promised video, but frankly we all know I'm usually drinking while I work...

I left the camera in the back of "porkchop"s truck, and haven't been able to get in contact with him.

the video wouldn't be as exciting as I would have hoped.I had laid out, the sterling 180 40rnd mag, H&K 30rnd mag, rebuilt GI mag 30rnd, used and worn GI 30rnd, civilian 10rnd mag, galil 35rnd mag, and stock saiga 10 round mag...

I made it perfectly through 7 rounds of each mag the first time to find that the camera wasn't rolling. It was glorious, and a utter failure at the same time. From that point on I had issues with the Galil Mag, and after repeated attempts, even had a issue with the old GI mag.

there was even a issue with the FCG retaining spring.

Murphys law was in full effect.

Still, I'm taking this as a lesson. the homemade bullet guide will be massaged further, and alternative FCG springs will be looked into. maybe even E-clips.

Today wasn't what I wanted, but it was one of lifes learning steps.

This is awesome. Great job. How hard would it be to just buy the fal parts to any saiga dust cover?

I have a uncle that's a master machinist so if it can be made he can do it. I read some one said something about a elongated track? And curved inside. Would that be that hard to make. Id like to do this fal mod but if its something where I can buy a fal charging handle and pin and weld it all up id rather do that. Also love the ejection port looks great.

and good luck getting it straightened out.

You need the FAL handle, a hardened pin of the right size and angle(angle being the hard part here), and a elongated FAL track preferably contoured to the dust cover. It would be a descent amount of work, still there were people looking to buy just the elongated tracks at one point I believe.

Thanks for the best wishes. Its difficult to get the bullet guide to Not interfere with use of stock mags with the built in bullet guide, have the extra material milled out for the Mag adapter, and still want to use a rock and lock mag that now has a sloppy fit. Still Until this I was successful at just that, Early on I showed this at Mike Indys and used 3 different rock and lock mags without error. I was honestly disappointed in the hiccup seen as a result.

The first step is going to be trying to elongate the bullet guide back without having it go lower to smooth out transition. If that doesn't work it'll have to go lower and mags with built in bullet guides will be a issue as the bullet guides would have to be modified or removed. Theres just not that much more room in that direction as the factory mag locks up very tight against the bullet guide.

Still its promising that with the exception of one time with a ancient tilt follower GI mag(known to be less dependable) I have not had a problem firing from AR mags, and that is the style of magazine I own the most of, and will be using predominately.