Industrialist .223

This build started BEFORE the NY SAFE act so as a result some of the pics show what would not be in compliance. Partially for this reason, the current political climate, and the fact that I wanted to present this as a completed build I have not really shared many pics of it. That all being said, should I change my mind this whole thread may disappear.

You guys haven't been sharing your builds enough, so let me show you how its done...

I picked this .223 saiga sometime last year while work was doing very well for me. As usual I started hacking it apart almost immediately, what was unusual as the order and progression of things.

As usual, I didn't work alone, and beer was involved in virtually every step. Big thanks to Akastormi.

First up was removing the rear sight. This was gone using a 4 1/2" side grinder and a wide selection of hand files. Thats right guys, I have no machining equipment. (note the MSA adapter already fitted, Stormi did that one and I have no pics[he has milling bits he used in a drill press])

Also of note in these pics is the piece of pipe that would later become a bullet guide...

PB050028.JPG

PB050029.JPG

PB050030.JPG

Next up came a bulk piece of steel rail I got off Ebay, it too could not avoid the grinder and files...

PB050031.JPG

PB050032.JPG

PB050033.JPG

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fuck'n sexy bitch right there!

There you go, nice workaround !

Its almost mandatory. I like to push myself to just how far I can go, and see the result. I like what your doing with this thing NB.

Posted Images

The front edge of the rail was welded solid to the gun, two tack welds were added to the sides, and it was drilled, tapped, and screwed to the gun in the rear(using red threadlocker). excess threads were ground out from the inside where the bolt carrier would need clearance, and smoothed out for clean cycling. welds were then cleaned up.

PB050039.JPG

PB050045.JPG

This ones blurry, sorry...

PB050047.JPG

About this time I was back to waiting for parts. During this time I took the files to a MD arms Molot grip removing material from the upper back of the pistol grip, and removing the bottom finger grooves.

it wound up looking something like this when my gas block arrived.

IMG_20120709_220814.jpg

and later once epoxy was added to reinforce areas that were made thin, and to increase the size of the upper finger groove looked like this...

IMG_20120710_213311.jpg

Now we already said the gas block arrived, but it was for a 45degree gas block, and as we know saigas need a 90 degree. Measurements were taken, stormi drilled the new gas port through it using a press, and I set about moving the seat for the front of the gas tube with hand files. Slow, tedious work. came out perfect. The hood for the front sight post was split open, and shaped using hammers and a alan head bolt. Material was then re-added using a welder and a piece of brass as a backer, then shaped.

IMG_20120710_213258.jpg

IMG_20120710_221455.jpg

IMG_20120710_221509.jpg

The chosen handguard was a TP47IRS, but I didn't like the rails, so they got the ax. epoxy was used to fill the holes and reinforce the upper handguard that was now dangerously thin. I can't remember if the barrel had the slot for the front handguard retainer or not... either way, not a big deal.

PB090049.JPG

PB090051.JPG

I like what ya did with the rear sight rail replacement there, what kinda irons are you planning on using? Also why the adapter instead of the BASTARD thingy they make?

The BASTARD is AR grip specific, I really like the modified Molot/AR grip I made. Also, the custom bullet guide allows me to use either AR mags, or .223 ak mags. so there's a extra option there.

Sights were always planned to use AK tech sights rear.

Stormi using the old gas block to press the new one into place(well hammer into place). Once there it was welded into place.

PB090054.JPG

PB090055.JPG

With this all accomplished the gun looked kindof like this...

IMG_20120712_050344.jpg

IMG_20120712_050329.jpg

But there was something missing... what would we be forgetting?

IMG_20120712_050313.jpg

Oh thats right, we still never addressed the silly mickey mouse firing assembly!

Well my old welder died on me, and I had to get a new one. The new one has way more ass than the old one, as is evidenced by the fact that in working on the FCG I destroyed a G2 trigger... So then wait for another one(thank god for Gregs shipping policies). what was don was the trigger was put in a press with round stock in the trigger pressing it open. Then weld was added to the back side to reinforce it, and then material was removed from the front. this in effect gave a longer trigger, and a smoother contoured front surface. the back and bottom were then shaped as you see here.

PB050036.JPG

PB050038.JPG

the bastard can be ordered to use ak grips

News to me, so thanks for clarifying, however the BASTARD wasn't even out when this was started.

I spent hours fine tuning the trigger for travel, and polished the bejesus out of it to smooth it out. That accomplished I needed to make a trigger guard that could fit the enlongated trigger. Inspiration again came from a AR. Side rail was removed during the conversion process also.

IMG_20120712_231038.jpg

IMG_20120712_231054.jpg

With the tech sights added, barrel chopped back slightly, threaded, and crowned, Brake added, welded into place, and a cheek riser added this is where it currently sits in the process.

P9240062.JPG

P9240063.JPG

P9240064.JPG

Oh Big thanks to the guys from R&R, this is one of their old safetys made for a S-12. Was easy to fit, just needed a few measurements, and some material removed to fit the thinner receiver thicknesses.(got it off them for next to nothing in the WTS section of the forum a few years back)

P9240066.JPG

P9240067.JPG

Plan is for a FAL style charging handle, stock charging handle chopped, and dust cover modified to fit the space the original safety would cover.

Not sure if I should just weld the holes from the original safety, or use it to make a additional cross brace to stiffen the receiver some. Fires like a dream right now, great trigger, smooth operation, no kick to speak of and nonexistent muzzle rise. Haven't really gotten to check accuracy, and the sights are not sighted in.

Been trying to get a LINCH charging handle for it for a long time now, and Davis tactical keeps selling out before i can get one. Not even sure if I can use the charging handle on the dust cover like that, or if I will have to move it to the receiver like gunfixer did back in the day.

Going to need to get the mag release linkage for the crossover at some point also, and I planned on making a 1/4" funnel to be welded to the bottom of the adapter.

As far as the LINCH, I'm not sure I can adapt it over to the AK Tech sights top cover. A attempt will be made first using the LINCH top cover, and modifying that to fit the tech sights. If that does not work, the rail and handle will be stripped off the dust cover, and fit to the receiver on the left side.

For this reason the safety you showed me would not be a option, that space needs to stay open in the event this comes to pass. furthermore, the current safety can be manipulated with the trigger finger, and seems to fit well.

Haven't really thought about paint much. Too far off yet, still a lot of fab work to go.

Maybe something warhammer esq?

Thatd be pretty cool. I try to have an idea of what color scheme I want once the weapon starts to take shape. I like the way this build is looking, and look forward to the final results.

Like it or not, the effort deserves "sticky".

Thanks for sharing in such details.

Can't wait to see it in its final phase.

Great job!

I certainly won't be stickying this topic. I've never done that to any of my builds despite any tutorial effect they may have. Its simply a reasonably detailed documentation of a build meant to give others ideas, and myself a platform to bounce ideas off of.

As far as like it or not, Its certainly not going to win any points with the traditionalist crowd, and the individual interpretation really is my own. I don't expect anyone to claim its perfect, but maybe they'll feel inspired by what can be done. Indeed, even by my own standards the design execution comes across very "cold", and that was kindof the point. I wanted to utilize more chiseled hard angles than traditionally found on a Ak platform. Its had a interesting effect in my opinion, bringing more attention to the boxyness of the receiver, with the barrel almost resembling a featureless piece of round stock projecting itself away.

how many have you done?

Not many, But I get more complex with every one it seems. Keeps it interesting.

Its almost mandatory. I like to push myself to just how far I can go, and see the result. I like what your doing with this thing NB.

• Like 1