#1 macbeau

macbeau

Pawn on the two-way range of life

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

Let see them TOMAHAWKS!

The Cold Steel "Rifleman's Tomahawk" really isn't a tomahawk in my book.  Too long (22") and heavy. - more of a two-handed affair.  That, and it's cast and not fordged.

I am a huge fan for the H&B Forged 'hawks. 

Macbeau...

Attached Files

• Captain Hero likes this

"Inside every liberal is an American trying to get out." -- Macbeau (2004)

"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash." -- Sir Winston Churchill (1943)

"Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country," --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington, DC. (1991)

"Statistics in the hands of an liberal are like a lamp-post to a drunk - they're used more for support than illumination." -- Bill Sangster (1989)

"We have four boxes used to guarantee our liberty: The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box". -- Ambrose Bierce (1887)

Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.
- Unknown...

#2 Ronin38

Ronin38

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

I thought this thread was more recent, but it's from last year...  ;)

http://forum.saiga-1...t-from-a-friend

• Gary likes this
"I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, 'wouldn't it be much worse if life *were* fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them?' So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."  -Marcus Cole

#3 protected static

protected static

Minor Imp of Spaghetti Code

• PipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

I took a tomahawk-making class earlier this year, taught by Darryl Nelson of Puyallup, WA. This is some of his work:

darryl rams head

This is the 2nd one I made. It's a 'mouse' 'hawk, made from folded and forge-welded angle iron, with a hammer poll. 

Hot: My mouse hawk, hot
Cold: My mouse hawk cold
Done: My mouse hawk, hafted

The first one I made, I fucked up the eye when I welded the head shut. It wound up being too big for a mouse handle, but too small for a full-sized handle. I also had a hard time getting the edge to curve properly. Other than the goofy handle sticking up an inch past the eye (which I suppose I could trim), it looks a lot like #2, but uglier. Dollar bill included to give a sense of size.

My first Two hawks

This is the third and last one I made. It's forged from rectangular bar stock; the eye is hand-punched, with a hooked poll, and a charred haft:

My 3rd hawk, with spiked poll and punched eye

I almost fucked up the eye on this one as well; I stretched one side out too much, weakening the eye. Some judicious welding kept it useable.

The class was a hoot. And they all throw nicely, even the first one with the goofy handle and edge.

With a gun for a lover and a shot for the pain at hand.

#4 Gary

Gary

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

I thought this thread was more recent, but it's from last year...  wink.png

+1.  This has already been done Macbeau.  grimace.gif 

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." ~Edmund Burke

"Life's too short to shoot an ugly gun!"

Posted Image

#5 macbeau

macbeau

Pawn on the two-way range of life

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

I thought this thread was more recent, but it's from last year...  wink.png

+1.  This has already been done Macbeau.  grimace.gif 

Hmmmmm....?

Looks like a thread that should have been moved to the Blades section...

That...  and I am looking for folks here who actually have and use their tomahawks; not just who can find cool ones on the internet.

I actually use my hawks on a regular basis and prefer them in general field-craft (or as a weapon) over a knife alone.

Macbeau sends...

Edited by macbeau, 31 May 2013 - 02:02 PM.

"Inside every liberal is an American trying to get out." -- Macbeau (2004)

"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash." -- Sir Winston Churchill (1943)

"Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country," --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington, DC. (1991)

"Statistics in the hands of an liberal are like a lamp-post to a drunk - they're used more for support than illumination." -- Bill Sangster (1989)

"We have four boxes used to guarantee our liberty: The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box". -- Ambrose Bierce (1887)

Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.
- Unknown...

#6 Ronin38

Ronin38

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

Well, you just posted some pictures, you didn't ask for test results or usage videos!   ;)

I have just a regular hatchet, axe and 5-lb. maul. Also various edged forms of ass-kickery (some high-quality and some wall-hangers), so I think I'll hold off on getting a 'hawk... for now.  :)

"I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, 'wouldn't it be much worse if life *were* fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them?' So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."  -Marcus Cole

#7 Captain Hero

Captain Hero

Dont Give Up The Ship!

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,188 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

I used to have a Cherokee tomahawk head that my dad gave me, but I donated it to a museum when I was 13, cuz I was afraid I would lose it.

But I do want an Eagle Talon from RMJ tactical.

Attached File  hm_l_pane_eagle_talon.png   101.02KB   0 downloads

• macbeau likes this

Captain hero u always have a slutty avatar, u don't get laid do u u fat fuckin retard. Serve ur fucking country and suck a dick.

#8 SHOTGUN MESSIAH

SHOTGUN MESSIAH

Mountaineer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:10 AM

I'm liking my Smithy, damn fine Hawk for the money. Very sharp and thick full tang.

swhawks_zps4fb8955d.jpg

• macbeau likes this

Freedom from Fideism, Hypocrisy and Oppression of religious beliefs & practices    NOW LETS TALK GUNS

#9 Lupin8or

Lupin8or

I like weapons. And beer.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

Got this originally to be a thrower, something i didnt have to worry about messing up. Now it stays in my work truck in the door. I friggin love this thing! Itll easily cut/puncture car doors n whatnot lol.

Attached Files

#10 Captain Hero

Captain Hero

Dont Give Up The Ship!

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,188 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:24 PM

Well, I now have another blade I feel I need to pick up, the new hawk from ZT.

Attached File  zombie-tools-traumahawk-1200.jpg   34.43KB   0 downloads

Captain hero u always have a slutty avatar, u don't get laid do u u fat fuckin retard. Serve ur fucking country and suck a dick.

#11 Odd Man Out

Odd Man Out

DOES NOT SUFFER FOOLS LIGHTLY...

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:33 PM

LIKE IT -- Only wish it could've mirrored the bottom curve on top -- .

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. Matthew" 10:33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users