Tac 12 Lower Receiver Question

I just received my Tac 12 lower and I'm a bit disappointed with it. I paid Firebird Precision to install their parts kit into it. The safety lever is loose and it rattles. There seems to be too much play in it.

Also, my factory five round magazine is barely able to be inserted into the magazine well. It's just too tight. The first time I inserted the magazine it removed some of the black coating from the inside of the mag well. It's also very difficult to remove.

Have any of you had similar issues with your lowers? If so, what did you do?

David

My safety had some slop in it after I installed it in the tac-12 lower. I ordered a new detent for it and the problems went away. Part number 84985a13 without lock element from McMaster-Carr. It has a slotted head for a screwdriver and it was $10.00 including shipping.

My safety had some slop in it after I installed it in the tac-12 lower. I ordered a new detent for it and the problems went away. Part number 84985a13 without lock element from McMaster-Carr. It has a slotted head for a screwdriver and it was $10.00 including shipping.

Awesome. Thanks. Would this be a modification that Firebird would approve of?

There should be no problem with this at all. You should call Jim @ Firebird about your magazine issue. I am sure he will make it right.

Yeah, I tried calling Firebird, but I get a message saying their mailbox is full and isn't accepting any new messages. Maybe someone from FB will chime in here.

Edited by Border Dave

Your mag lips may have been expanded out a little bit. Try inserting a shell and look to see the clearance on the sides of the shell, if there is ample room, you may try to slightly bend in the lips on both sides carefully and try inserting the mag then. The clearances on the Firebird lowers are much tighter than the factory lowers.

Hello Border Dave-

Sorry about the issues you are having with your shotgun. The Firebird personnel are providing law enforcement duties today, but I will make sure that Jim is aware of your posting.

I'm sure you patience will pay off.

Again, appologies.

Thanks for the reply. I'll just wait for a response from Jim.

Border Dave, what number were you on the waiting list??

Just curious so I can gauge how close I am.

Thanks.

I was number 149.

Your mag lips may have been expanded out a little bit. Try inserting a shell and look to see the clearance on the sides of the shell, if there is ample room, you may try to slightly bend in the lips on both sides carefully and try inserting the mag then. The clearances on the Firebird lowers are much tighter than the factory lowers.

Both my magazines are very new. I've only used them at the range twice, with very few shells put downrange. I don't think they've had time or the use to expand. If Jim wants me to measure them I will, though.

Thanks everyone for your input.

David

Edited by Border Dave

I was finally able to get ahold of Jim on Monday. He had me send my receiver and my magazines back to him for inspection. He also told me he's using a new detent pin (He might have used other words; not sure) on the safety/selector lever. Mine was apparently one of the last ones to get sent out with the old system. He's going to switch it out for the new one for me. Hopefully the magazine clearance problem doesn't lie with the magazine well, and instead is just a tolerance issue with my Turkish magazines. We'll see...

Dave I feel like I am having the same issue with the magazines. The mag release is somewhat difficult to engage. Also if there is any upward pressure on the magazine, it will not release. If you don't mind, update us with what you find out about your issues.

Edited by CalveryDemon

Dave I feel like I am having the same issue with the magazines. The mag release is somewhat difficult to engage. Also if there is any upward pressure on the magazine, it will not release. If you don't mind, update us with what you find out about your issues.

My mag release button was really notchy if pressed at the wrong angle. I forgot to mention it to Jim when I had him on the phone. I'll have to call him back.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem, figured out if I put the magazine in and pull down on it, it works no problems. Annoying, but workable until I figure out how to fix it.