AK 47 .223 10-15 round magazines?

Hello everyone,

I am looking into putting a bullet guide on my Saiga .223 so that I can hopefully get cheaper magazines. My problem is that I am not doing a conversion to more of a traditional AK on my rifle. I am looking for more of the low profile Dragunov look.. so I don't want a big ol 30 round mag hanging out.. Just seems like it would look goofy.

Does anyone know there are many 10-15 round AK 47 mags for a decent price for a .223? Or should I just deal with a 30 round or stick with Saiga specific mags?

I've done a little bit of searching and haven't found any that aren't more than the regular Saiga mags. Was wondering if maybe you can direct me to desired mags, if they exist.

Thanks in advance!

Given the parameters you have set out, you have two RELATIVELY low-cost options: Stick with the stock Saiga mags (they are plenty robust & commonly available at a fair price if you shop around). Or: the SGM line which offers 5, 10, 15 & 20 rounders (as well as 25 & 30 rounders) to meet your specific requirements (I'm not as certain about their robustness & they can be pricey! But they offer you a few more options. Either way, you will not need a bullet guide.

As always, YMMV.

Old SF MJT

Yeah, that's the thing.. Saiga/Surefire mags are usually at least 30 bucks.. Which I know isn't bad.. but you can get a lot of AK mags for 10-15 bucks it seems like? So that's one of the main reasons I was thinking of getting it to take AK mags, because its a little cheaper. Plus that way if SHTF, AK mags are a little more common and my dad has a ton of AK mags.

But the main reason to be honest, is cost. Who doesn't like paying less?

So are there inexpensive 10-15 round AK mags that I am missing, or am I just going to have to stick with the Sock/Saiga stuff? I may still do the bullet guide regardless just so it takes AK mags, and modify my Saiga/Surefire mags slightly so they will work with the bullet guide.

I've got a bunch of SGM 10 rounders, they seem pretty solid. Personally I think the S223 should just use Saiga 223 magazines they maybe a little pricey but they last forever, and feed and function every time.

• 2 weeks later...

There are several cheap US made .223 AK mags in the $10-15 range. Tapco Galil and Promag .223 AK mags are both dirt cheap and will work with the Saiga, but both require a bullet guide.

Don't bother with the Promag Saiga magazines with the built-in bullet guide. They're notorious for the bullet guide snapping off.

Unfortunately, none of those are available in less than 30-rd versions so far as I know.

Bulgarian Circle-10 5, 10, and 20 round 5.56 magazines pop up now and then in auctions and from K-VAR.

Or do the AR mag conversion and use cheap AR mags with your choice of round count.

If nothing else, the SGMs will work fine, but probably the most expensive option.

Edited by mancat