http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/05/29/police-confiscate-vets-rifle-charge-him-because-he-fired-warning-shot-at-wanted-felon-trying-to-break-into-his-home/

"An Oregon man has had rifle confiscated and is facing criminal charges after he attempted to stop a wanted felon from breaking into his home by firing a warning shot.

Police in Medford, Ore., say the incident occurred at around 11:30 p.m. on Sunday. Officers responded to an apartment complex in the area after receiving a disturbance call. During their investigation, cops heard a gun shot and a man running away toward the complex’s parking lot.
Authorities say 40-year-old Jonathon Kinsella, a wanted felon, was attempting to flee the scene when he was arrested on outstanding warrants, including for burglary and assault.

Military veteran Corey Thompson, 36, told KDRV-TV that the wanted felon was trying to beak into his home via the back door. Defending his property, Thompson said he warned the criminal that he was armed and he was giving him his one and only warning shot.
“This is the end result. You break into someone’s house, there’s consequences,” Thompson said.
Wielding his AR-15 semi-automatic rifle, the veteran made good on his threat and fired one warning shot. The bullet did not strike the suspect or anyone else.
“When I’m dealt with a stressful situation, being a veteran from Iraq and the Afghanistan war, it’s natural. I just jump into combat mode. I told him, ‘I’m going to give you a warning shot’,” Thompson explained.
However, police later determined he wasn’t justified in firing his weapon. Medford Police Lt. Mike Budreau said “there was nothing that the suspect was doing that was aggressive enough to justify the shooting.”
Apparently, for police in Medford, a wanted felon trying to break into a law-abiding citizen’s home isn’t enough to justify a warning shot.

Thompson was charged with unlawful use of a weapon, menacing and reckless endangering. The veteran’s AR-15 was seized by police because they claim it was used in the commission of a crime."

Unreal....

Not unreal at all. You don't fire your weapon inside a fucking city, unless you're in danger and you have to do so.

You don't fire a warning shot. You fire at center mass.

• Like 3

The ccw class I took voluntarily ( not required here) taught me to never ever fire a warning shot. If you have to pull it, you best hit the perp somewhere and with castle law ( here anyway) you need to wait until at least some appendage is in your house. Then you are fully justified.

• Like 1

It's normal for a veteran to give an American a warning shot before they have to kill them.

Lay off the bullshit on this guy. He did a nice thing and should not have to deal with this bullshit. Would the city rather have this guy ace the fucker which he could have done blind folded?

They need to drop the charges and give the two tour vet his fucking rifle back.

• Like 4

It's normal for a veteran to give an American a warning shot before they have to kill them.

Lay off the bullshit on this guy. He did a nice thing and should not have to deal with this bullshit. Would the city rather have this guy ace the fucker which he could have done blind folded?

^^^THIS^^^

+1

• Like 1

In the unlikely event that I felt that firing a warning shot was the prudent thing to do I certainly wouldn't admit it. It will be...... "I was in fear of my life and had a AD", or "I fired at him and missed". But never call it a warning shot. What we have here is proof that a warning shot can be effective. The perp got the message and ran away only to get caught and the homeowner didn't have to kill anybody. It's too bad the homeowner always has to be perfect in these situations that he did not cause.

Damn, I actually have a trip planned for September to drive my VW bus to Medford OR, to see friends.....it will be the most heavily armed VW bus since "Back to the future!"....I will be sure to give no warning shots if I have trouble. Sad times when you try to save the life of a Scumbag, and get punished for it, but I don't personally believe in a Warning shot, and mostly for legal reasons just like this.

• Like 2

Welcome to the new Administration.

It has nothing to do with who's the president.

This sort of shit has happened here in Omaha, NE before - during the reign of G.W. Bush, and the same thing happened - arrested for discharging a firearm within city limits.

It would be good to know where he fired.

Every self-defense course I've taken where firearms were part of the curriculum has made it clear - you do not fire a warning shot. If you need to discharge your weapon, it should be because you or someone else is in immediate danger of death or serious injury and you must do so to preserve life and safety - which means shooting the threat.

He made a bad judgment call. If he fired in a safe direction, that could be a mitigating circumstance. But a rifle bullet goes a hell of a long way, and unless he had a bullet trap or a berm conveniently in his line of sight, firing a rifle put innocent lives in danger - and that's not alright. That's criminal.

• Like 1

The only place I was taught to fire a warning shot in the military was Turkey 1990, of course they thought that the MWD's were lethal force. This goes to show no good deed goes unpunished in society.

• Like 1

Welcome to the new Administration.

It has nothing to do with who's the president.

This sort of shit has happened here in Omaha, NE before - during the reign of G.W. Bush, and the same thing happened - arrested for discharging a firearm within city limits.

It would be good to know where he fired.

Every self-defense course I've taken where firearms were part of the curriculum has made it clear - you do not fire a warning shot. If you need to discharge your weapon, it should be because you or someone else is in immediate danger of death or serious injury and you must do so to preserve life and safety - which means shooting the threat.

He made a bad judgment call. If he fired in a safe direction, that could be a mitigating circumstance. But a rifle bullet goes a hell of a long way, and unless he had a bullet trap or a berm conveniently in his line of sight, firing a rifle put innocent lives in danger - and that's not alright. That's criminal.

That may be true, but this shit has taken off since '08 and will continue to do so.

• Like 2

He fired his shot into the ground, he was not endangering anyone or anything except maybe his shoes/feet. I hope those cops get hit by a bus, and no I don't hate cops my brother is a cop. I hate the shitty cops that give the good cops like my brother a bad name.

• Like 1

I don't do warning shots either. If I'm hollering at the guy that I have a gun, then he knows I'm inside and armed, and he continues to try to force entry... Well, if/when he does get inside he deserves what he gets, imo. At that point it would be completely justified and legal, too.

He fired his shot into the ground, he was not endangering anyone or anything except maybe his shoes/feet. I hope those cops get hit by a bus, and no I don't hate cops my brother is a cop. I hate the shitty cops that give the good cops like my brother a bad name.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

umm... Hate to break it to you, but firing into the ground doesn't, by any stretch of the imagination, ensure that it stays there. Shit bounces. If you want to see what bullets can do when they hit the ground at an oblique angle, play with tracers some time - you'll see plenty bounce and spin.

umm... Hate to break it to you, but firing into the ground doesn't, by any stretch of the imagination, ensure that it stays there. Shit bounces. If you want to see what bullets can do when they hit the ground at an oblique angle, play with tracers some time - you'll see plenty bounce and spin.

There's reasonable, and there's paranoid. A guy firing into his basement or crawl space (assuming it wasnt a trailer, but if it was, then he was firing into ground anyway), would most likely damage only his basement. The only proximal fear is damage to his basement/crawlspace. C'mon, you are beginning to sound like school officials afraid if someone says the word gun, everyone will suddenly pull out a gun and kill each other.

• Like 1

The cops gotta learn to discriminate bad from good behavior.

Well I'm not so sure I want them doing that, that could be part of what's going wrong in this country. I would rather the cops just enforce the law and let the courts wory about the rest. Cops used to say it all the time...tell it to the judge. If the people don't like the laws then they need to get them changed. One problem is that the cops have too many fuken laws to try and enforce, because the pricks who make the laws now have a full time job making fuked up laws. scorn.gif

Now I'm ready for the #2 pencil in the my fuken neck beaten.gif

Cops do it all the time. They give you a warning if you have good driving record, or there is an extreme circumstance, or they are just in a good mood. The fact is, if the cop does not believe you are guilty, they are technically required not to issue you a ticket (but intent is not an easily provable thing). All I am saying is they have some leeway. They had it here, and saw the assailant running away. They should say, hey, he is not guilty of discharging a firearm in city limits, he is guilty of sparing this guys life. Lets cut him a break and realize that here, given the options, that reasonable behavior was followed.

One way a bad law is gotten rid of is by police refusing to enforce. This is a prime candidate for such refusal to enforce.

Oh, and it is so simple, even captain picard understood this: No absolute law is a just law.

+1, not just a vet but mankind, with so many on going crimes in this country who can blame them. Hell a guy here in Palm Beach county answered a Craigslist ad for a job and was shot and killed by the person who placed the ad...