This is only my 2nd build and I'm still learning a lot thanks to you that taken the time to school me on my Saiga 223 and now my Arsenal SAM7R-61. Its been sometimes tough finding what I need for a milled receiver. I decided to go with the Vortex Strikefire with a extra high mount ring on a AKARS, and hope to get some pointers on the importance of a adjustable cheek mount on a Mako 6 pos.post-47153-0-80569300-1370132964_thumb.jpgstock.

consistent cheek weld with an optic is the difference between consistent shot grouping and inconsistent shot grouping. You need to pretty much be in the same place every time to make the same shot. have it vary... your impact site will vary.

:smoke:

consistent cheek weld with an optic is the difference between consistent shot grouping and inconsistent shot grouping. You need to pretty much be in the same place every time to make the same shot. have it vary... your impact site will vary.

000.gif

With a parallax free red dot your shot placement shouldn't vary, regardless though, a good cheek weld is important for speed of acquiring target and steadiness of your body/weapon, and will generally allow you to shoot much faster and more accurately.

• Like 2

000.gif

+1! Back in my Military days, my nose was on the charging handle every shot with an M4. Doing the same thing every time will prove it on paper if you are looking for tight groups. Even working out your breathing rhythm and squeezing off the shot in the same place every time will result in consistency. ObiWan is correct on the parallax free sight being more forgiving but locking down on the weapon is going to steady you better for accuracy.

000.gif

000.gif

With a parallax free red dot your shot placement shouldn't vary, regardless though, a good cheek weld is important for speed of acquiring target and steadiness of your body/weapon, and will generally allow you to shoot much faster and more accurately.

000.gif

+1! Back in my Military days, my nose was on the charging handle every shot with an M4. Doing the same thing every time will prove it on paper if you are looking for tight groups. Even working out your breathing rhythm and squeezing off the shot in the same place every time will result in consistency. ObiWan is correct on the parallax free sight being more forgiving but locking down on the weapon is going to steady you better for accuracy.

Didn't have ANY with my Tantal folding stock until I fabricated a riser. Shot placement suffered badly. I had never experienced NOT having a good cheek weld on a rifle until i made that purchase

Thanks for the info, makes me feel good about the selection of my now recent purchase

(Mako AR - 15 Buttstock with Cheek Riser w/ a

EMA Polymer 6 - position Buffer Tube Stock Conversion for Milled AK47 / 74 Receiver)

Oh hell, they just backordered the EMA buffer tube another month and a half... anyone know where one might be avail earlier than that?181185_ts.jpg196480_ts.jpg

Edited by redrocker35

I have a Beryl folding stock on my .223 and never knew what I was missing until I got my AR recently. I thought I loved the Beryl stock (I kinda still do).

Looking at replacing the Beryl stock with a Bonesteel or ACE hinge with AR stock.

in the good ol' days and for some (usually people with $) stocks were fitted to the shooter. now days it's more common with high end shotguns but if you're in a room full of people you can see that one size clothes don't fit everyone any better than one size of gun stock would.

I've got an old cheap 20 ga SKB semi auto that I use for clays and skeet that I've kept when some higher end shotguns have come and gone, just because it fits me and I can shoot it well. How well the gun fits has a lot more to do with how well you'll shoot it than a brand name or cost.

post-26137-0-21852000-1370351949.jpg

post-26137-0-40218900-1370351964.jpg

• Like 1

I wanted to be cool and go with a PSL type stock on my old Saiga 308...

IM000009.JPG

BAD idea.. The cheek weld was too low where I needed to get the proper EYE relief for the scope that I had mounted..

I ended up selling the stock and going back to my 'fake' Bulgy Folder.. and it worked SOOO much better..

PolyTriangle.jpg

Heres a 100 yard group from the S308.. God I miss this thing.. I was just ripping the trigger..

S308100yds.jpg

And a simple 3 shot group at 100 yards..

100ydIrons.jpg

Edited by YWHIC