This reminds me very much of the time Anchorage PD bomb squad blew up a $450,000+ cardiac monitoring machine on the runway of the Dillingham AK airport, after they knew exactly what it was, and they were being ridiculed on the air of local radio for still coming out.

• Like 2

IMO, you guys are being a bit unfair to LAPD on this one.

An employee of this office hit a panic button, then on responding to the panic call, LAPD is faced with a very real looking bad guy. Put yourself in the shoes of responding officers, what would you do?

What exactly is the problem with them taking this very seriously until they figure out what's going on?

The idiots are the ones who pressed the panic button for no reason and are even more idiotic for having their stupid toy soldier in the window for responding officers to flip out about. The city of LA should press charges and lay some heavy fines on the game company (again, my opinion).

There are plenty of valid reasons to dislike LAPD (well publicized screw-ups), but this isn't one of them.

I can't believe they didn't put a couple thousand rounds into the building and then enough smoke grenades to burn it to the ground just to be sure.

They would have.......if LAPD could have afforded to buy replacement ammo.000.gif

IMO, you guys are being a bit unfair to LAPD on this one.

An employee of this office hit a panic button, then on responding to the panic call, LAPD is faced with a very real looking bad guy. Put yourself in the shoes of responding officers, what would you do?

What exactly is the problem with them taking this very seriously until they figure out what's going on?

The idiots are the ones who pressed the panic button for no reason and are even more idiotic for having their stupid toy soldier in the window for responding officers to flip out about. The city of LA should press charges and lay some heavy fines on the game company (again, my opinion).

There are plenty of valid reasons to dislike LAPD (well publicized screw-ups), but this isn't one of them.

I read somewhere that the panic button was a lie on the part of the LAPD. going to see if i can find it again.... Wait dor it! Or find it. Winner is the coolest guy of the day!

And you tell me the terrorist haven't already won?

I don't recall, precisely, but that might have even been pre 9/11. It was tragic comedy listening to the live coverage. The city had basically taken Disaster relief money from Billy Jeff's second term that was supposed to help fishermen that were screwed by lack of treaty enforcement. Instead it got spent on public works around town, and making the PD 7 times as big. One of the things they did was signed a contract with Anchorage PD to have their swat and bomb teams on call, so the mayor and Cheif were just jumping for an excuse to call them out and prove that it was a justified budget item. They made some hilarious statements about why they could not discuss the situation afterwards "for security reasons..."

The equipment was in bound for Naknek Kingsalmon's hospital and had conspicuous labeling all over it to the effect that it had a low battery alarm which would beep until they could plug it in. Further, this had all been cleared in advance, since it was a special high risk package with special handling requirements. (As if a real bomb would ever beep...), So naturally the brain dead girl at the ticket counter became concerned by the beeping. She told her supervisor, which initiated an official protocol, which everyone followed to the letter. Never mind that within minutes, they were talking to hospital staff (and the manufacturer) who were confirming that it was supposed to do that. Several hours later, the bomb squad arrived, and blew it up. One of the local city councilmen was a cantankerous old coot named Jackson McCormack, and generally is the lone vote not to spend money. He was on scene, and owns a construction company and a little radio station which broadcasts 1940s country and Pure Tinfoil Talk Radio, of the most ludicrous sort. I think I was winterizing the boat at the time, so I listened to the local public station and Jackson's all through the whole thing. That multiplied the comedy between the official government line, and the dissenting line combined with on-scene reporting from Jackson and the fact that most fishermen have the radio gear to listen to LE radio if they want to...

You know if they had the people in the office in custody it would seem the words "Its a damn mock up you idiots" would be uttered a few times.

Or are they saying they didnt ask any questions?

No way to spin this one.