Fellas's I need your expertise....

I can pick up a new Vepr-12 for $1250 "non-welded stock" NOW

OR

Should I order new welded stock from Atlantic... Any pro and cons vs. The two guns...

What one would you buy...

Any help and a push in either direction would be greatly appreciated...

What do you mean by non-welded stock? A folder with no-weld? Or a non-folder?

Welded Folder vs Standard Stock - differences are - one is a folder with a skeleton stock, other is not. Folder can be made to fold. Non-folder can be easily adapted to AR stocks.

Folder has a ambi-safety. Standard stock models do not.

Those are the only differences.

Depends on why you're interested in one. I bought it because I want to have one as factory correct as possible. Its also cheaper because its already a factory folder, plus the ambi safety. Also consider that you will need to buy another stock so consider how much additional $$$ you're going to spend to make it into a folder. FWIW, there's not much of a difference in LOP between a fixed trunnion variant with a NATO length bonesteel arms folder vs. the factory folder.

2aa174ef15ba80e90e2f1e8de428c123_zps8035

Depends on why you're interested in one. I bought it because I want to have one as factory correct as possible. Its also cheaper because its already a factory folder, plus the ambi safety. Also consider that you will need to buy another stock so consider how much additional $$$ you're going to spend to make it into a folder. FWIW, there's not much of a difference in LOP between a fixed trunnion variant with a NATO length bonesteel arms folder vs. the factory folder.

2aa174ef15ba80e90e2f1e8de428c123_zps8035

Another key point is the factory folded stock is at the correct angle for proper cheek weld.

You'll have to gun the receiver to get it correct with an aftermarket.

Get the folder. Learn to love it the way it is. Cut the weld with extreme attention to detail and leave it almost bone stock except for 922r parts. Bolt on whatever you want for a muzzle brake, pistol grip, and handguards, but save the old parts and take good care of the box and accessories. Buy at least 4 5rd factory mags and 3 8rd.

My crystal ball says you will thank me in a couple years.

Also, be careful what you attach to that rail. larger/heavier optics can tear up the polymer due to recoil stress. I suggest a T1.

Edited by Thor's Hammer
  • Like 1

Get the folder.

but save the old parts and take good care of the box and accessories. Buy at least 4 5rd factory mags and 3 8rd.

My crystal ball says you will thank me in a couple years.

Also, be careful what you attach to that rail. larger/heavier optics can tear up the polymer due to recoil stress. I suggest a T1.

This guy nailed it.

I have had two if each flavor and I will be keeping the folders. The factory folder is very comfortable and very solid. Also, I really prefer mine to be as close to the original version as possible.

However, as stated above, the fixed stock version allows you to put an AR stock or any other AK type stock in it so it may allow you more options.

Whatever you prefer, they are both great tactical shotguns so have fun