Tactical Brass (Hull) Catcher.

A few people asked about my brass catcher from one or two of my videos so here is the story.

I had started looking around for a brass catcher for my AR after the recent component crisis.

I found one that had an ABS top, was folding and quick mounted to a right side Pic rail. Unlike other catchers you can access the chamber just by pushing the unit to the side and out of the way. Clearing a jam or checking for a clear chamber is easy!

From <LINK REMOVED>

edit: (OK since I can't link the source, the company is Tactical Brass Recovery. I'm sure you can all find it)

While looking at their stuff I really started to get tired of having my good Win AA hulls that I load my slugs in getting all stepped on at my local range during practice.

I called the owner Lew and told him about our cool guns and the problem I was having. We went over a number of issues and scenarios. I sent Lew photos of the gun and he went to a local shop to see how many hulls he could fit in a catch bag. Finally I had Lew make the me the catcher you see.

It is the standard mount with a Shrike bag (larger than the standard AR bag)

The Tactical Catcher has worked perfectly since I've received it. It will hold a box of hulls and is just perfect.

It removes or attaches so quickly that I can use it for my AR and my 1919 easily during practice sessions.

I have recently used it during a 3 gun Match and it got rave reviews from my squad mates.

If your looking for something to catch hulls or brass I suggest you give it a try.

Check out the two videos below to see it in action!

http://youtu.be/N-IGluyN0ko

http://youtu.be/7lKFMIxx7s0

IMG_20130223_0954371024x768_zpsbe3efc3c.

IMG_20130223_0954571024x768_zpsc4ea4cd3.

Edited by ToysRUs
Link to non-forum Buisiness
  • Like 1

Let me state this one thing.

I am not affiliated with this company in any way other than they helped me make this item work on our guns.

It kicks butt on any other brass catcher I have ever seen and I think it is a great addition if you want to retain your hulls/Brass.

• 3 weeks later...

Great idea and product but a little pricey

Pricey???

Have you compared it to the $50 ones out there that don't really work?

Modular, customizable, safe, worth the money for a product that works.

i figure 88.95 shipped is a great price if i buy one and only one and can use it on multiple weapons. hopefully it will last a lifetime.

I'm a sucker for anything in the ACU pattern, but I'll have to save up a few pennies for this. Looks like quality gear, though.

ACU is so old school. ATACS is where it's at.

Either way, what do I know. I prefer vietnam tiger stripe

I'm a sucker for anything in the ACU pattern, but I'll have to save up a few pennies for this. Looks like quality gear, though.

"Old school?" I'm partial to the ACU pattern because I wore ACUs everyday during my second tour of Iraq, 2007-2008.

My first tour, 2003-2004, I wore DCUs all the time and I own several things in that pattern as well. I guess you'd have a major beef about that, too.

Edited by Hunter308

"Old school?" I'm partial to the ACU pattern because I wore ACUs everyday during my second tour of Iraq, 2007-2008.

My first tour, 2003-2004, I wore DCUs all the time and I own several things in that pattern as well. I guess you'd have a major beef about that, too.

No Hunter, I wouldn't

What I do know is that ACU is being phased out for ATACS.

"old school" meaning anything that is not current which ACU is not now.

It's not an insult or a diss on the pattern.

I actually like it, truthfully I like the digicam desert the the USMC first wore but neither it or the ACU is currently available.

You do notice that my Tactical Brass Catcher is ACU don't you....

Yes, I noticed and that's why I posted I liked it, but your comment about "old school" seemed like you were taking a jab. I've got pictures of me with some of my war buddies from both tours, DCUs and ACUs, and whenever I see either pattern it brings back memories of me being with them, a couple of whom are gone and one of those I carried to his grave. It's not so much the pattern, to me, it's the memories and the camaraderie that comes from being put together to do impossible crap in an unreal situation... and the bonds that result and last a lifetime. Perhaps I was too sensitive to your comment on the pattern in that regard.

My TBC was waiting for me when I got home today. Nice unit.

Mounted it on the MKA and the charging handle hits the curved plastic strip that mounts the bag to the lower part of the frame. Unbolting the strip and turning it upside down solves that issue.

Now I pull the left side charging handle and......

the right side handle cannot pull all the way back. In the picture the MKA is in bolt open condition and you can see the handle does not fit in the frame/bag.

Looking carefully at the pics ToysRUs posted I see the problem. The catcher was modified around his MKA; short FB handguard and stock charging handle. I have the standard length FB handguard and T&N handle. The side rails on my standard handguard stop almost 1.25" from the front of the receiver, and that looks like what I'm short for the handle to work with the catcher. The larger handle is also why it hits the frame as set up.

I'm going to keep this catcher to use on our ARs and contact Lew about getting one made for my particular MKA configuration. They have a model with a longer frame for ARs with exactly this issue.

post-46313-0-46111800-1373600256_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've been collaborating with Lew on a design for my MKA that will function with the standard length FB handguard, larger aftermarket charging handle, and access to the bullet button (magazine release button for you lucky free state people) and finally got it delivered.

The fit is perfect and there is access to everything. I was supposed to use it yesterday and give him feedback, but didn't get a chance so it'll be some time next month. I did use the other MKA brass (hull) catcher on our ARs and filled the bag up. Works great and looks good too.

These are pictures of Lew's new design:

post-46313-0-60209600-1376792170_thumb.jpg

post-46313-0-09392900-1376792172_thumb.jpg

post-46313-0-58104300-1376792173_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...