new info on Remington Ammo. New product, and a recall.

8 Pellet LE OOB

Here is the recall info: http://www.remingtonle.com/pdf/ProductSafetyRecall-RR128B00.pdf

New product:

LE slugs:http://www.remingtonle.com/ammo/ss_slugger.htm

Slightly different foster with a hard plastic cylindrical wad. It is supposed to hold the slug more concentric and force obturation better than previous rem sluggers. I don't know why they didn't just go brenneke style, since we all know it does better, but whatever. (And Rem does sell some Brenneke style slugs for about $3/shot, so it isn't as if they are denying the superiority...)

Well at least it's the reduced recoil stuff. I don't ever use that stuff. Standard power works for me.

As for slugs, I tend to buy whatever is cheapest. I'm not looking for a super-dooper magic slug anyway. Whatever helps me shoot often and that's generally cheap ammo.

I make my own, but I would love for there to be components available to cast Brennekes and press in a cheap tail wad, and also cheap sabots for the other style.

I prefer Federal buckshot too, but Rem field grade is the cheapest bulk shot to buy and the only I have seen available in #25LB sacks. Mine is about empty, but I'll have to wait a while to re-order.

Cheap Winchester buckshot seems to have a bit more punch to it. I'd love to see someone with a chrono compare the standard offerings. I think Rem relies on test barrels to get their numbers. The other brands probably do too, but I would be willing to bet that "1325FPS" of Winchester buck moves faster than Rem of the same stated velocity.

Of the big 3, Fed has the best hulls for durability, and actually uses buffer media in even their standard stuff. It shows they care rather than just wanting to move product.

I've had a little dribble out on shells that have been chambered and removed numerous times. I only use factory ammo for HD, so I don't mind putting a drop of hot glue or something. Win does a heat weld on some of their ammo, so leaking is a non-issue. It hasn't bothered me enough to mess with it. Deformation on the brass that rem is vulnerable to has actually caused brass to hang up in a couple of my mags. (the "brass" on REM dents easily, and the rims get burrs from the extractors) Fed. has a mid length "brass" that can be annoying to insert into the mag though.