Do CAI Saiga 5.45x39 rifles have BHO levers??

So I just purchased a Saiga 5.45x39 rifle imported and converted by Century Arms International off of Gunbroker, it had a really REALLY good price so i bought it, after looking at the pictures of it, I noticed that I couldn't see the BHO lever and that is one of the MAIN reasons' I purchased a Saiga over a WaffenWorks AK74..... Does CAI NOT install the BHO back after the rifle is converted?!? If not, is the rifle still set up to accept a BHO lever bought seperately??? thanks..

I've only handled their 7.62 conversions but on those, the BHO was removed and a notched safety put in place to hold the bolt back.

On the plus side, they seem to be nice builds despite their reputation for being able to screw up anything they get their hands on.

I don't have the rifle yet, I just ordered it from a "Buy Now" on Gunbroker, the guy at Woodberry Arms said it had one, but he didn't sound like he was too sure about what I was asking.... If it doesn't have the BHO I hope it atleast has the hole there so i can install a BHO, I really like that feature about Saigas, my S12 has an AR style safety and the BHO is a necessity for me... I may be putting AR style safety on my 5.45..

Here's a photo from a retailer online that's showing in stock. It's not the best image quality but to me it looks just like the x39 with the notched safety, velcro and no BHO. CAI change their models periodically though, so I'm not sure what you'll end up with. The x39 I handled had vent holes cut out of the factory forend. Classic Arms calls it "shark fin tactical furniture".

With all of the rifles that Century must order from Izhmash, I wouldn't be surprised if they had the option to choose whether they had the BHO feature or not for their orders. It's not a stretch to think that accountants probably figured out that they could save so many thousands in man hours by not monkeying with a BHO and just notching the safety instead. This is pure speculation of course.

century-ri2071em-n-787450221079-1.jpg

Edited by SGL

I have a Century converted 7.62. It does have the slot for the BHO. I haven't got around to finding and installing another one yet. All in all They aren't a bad conversion, they use rivets instead of plastic plugs in the leftover holes on the receiver. I bought mine real cheap too from a co-worker.

Considering it's Century, I doubt they went to the trouble to patch up the slot. You can just reinstall one if you want.

Do you know if a BHO lever and spring from a Saiga 12 would work for it???

No, they're different from the rifles BHOs.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I received my CAI Saiga 5.45 the other day and much to my expectation and disappointment, it DID NOT have a BHO... I know its not part of the original design, BUT I WANT ONE.... Good thing I'm pretty handy and a guy on AK47.com sold me one from one of his conversions he didn't need on the cheap.. So, I'll be installing the BHO myself... Thanks everyone for the intel...

• 4 months later...

So, I received my CAI Saiga 5.45 the other day and much to my expectation and disappointment, it DID NOT have a BHO... I know its not part of the original design, BUT I WANT ONE.... Good thing I'm pretty handy and a guy on AK47.com sold me one from one of his conversions he didn't need on the cheap.. So, I'll be installing the BHO myself... Thanks everyone for the intel...

Does it have a G2 tapco trigger?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...