new run of agp mags FTF

Are the rounds getting stuck hard about 1/2 way into the chamber?

That's what's happening quite often with mine, the latest shoot had it happening with slugs and high brass waterfowl loads. Going to try again today with factory mags and see what happens.

Are the rounds getting stuck hard about 1/2 way into the chamber?

That's what's happening quite often with mine, the latest shoot had it happening with slugs and high brass waterfowl loads. Going to try again today with factory mags and see what happens.

I received my mags in March.. I did the order in January. Bad part is I ordered a case of 20 mags... All the reviews were good but after trying to submit a review it has to be approved hmmm I wonder why....

Mine came in April. Didn't get a chance to try with factory mags yet. Last time I was out, I retracted the bolt to see what was up, and tried pushing the round into the chamber. It took a hellova lot of force to get it in with my thumb. On a most of them, the next round wasn't at the feed lips yet. I'm thinking that it's either the mag or the rim is getting caught on something to make it jam that hard. When it gets caught, the carrier is about 1 1/2" out of battery. There's no marks on the hulls where something is digging.

Comparing the factory and AGP, the follower on the factory is higher and seems to have a little steeper angle, but everything else seems identical. It may be that some guns don't like the flatter feed angle of the AGP's.

When I get out again, I also want to mark the top of all the rounds, as I want to figure out what's making all the burrs and bites out of the rims. They don't seem to line up with the extractor/stripper exactly. I've seen some where the rim was almost ripped off completely.

Got out today! Factory mags are doing the same only closer to the chamber........I'm thinking gun fault!

First, here's the test hulls that I marked the top of when loaded in the mag. The long line to the primer is top of cartridge.

IMG_2604_zps4b67348b.jpg

Notice that you see some marks by where the extractor should be on the high right, and a few where the stripper hit at bottom. Notice the other marks on the left. The large black areas are where part of the rim is bit off.

I have seen this happening since round 1.

Next are the jams I'm seeing with the factory mags. The AGP's just do it further out of the chamber. It didn't matter if it was slugs, hunting loads, or bulk target loads. All did it. Second and last rounds seemed the worst offenders. Had a few first rounds hang as well, so full back slam from the spring doesn't prevent it. Had one target load short stroke and mash into the barrel, but all the rest of the 25 ejected just fine, and made a pile at 2 o' clock about 6 feet out. Next were the 25 hunting loads. No other malfunctions, other than chambering. 20 slugs were next. Same thing. Clearing the jam often saw the partially chambered round frozen in place with the next round still depressed and not up to the feed lips.

IMG_2611_zps78de3126.jpg

Here's a bottom view with mag removed.

IMG_2612_zps9802f7b0.jpg

I'm thinking the rim damage other than from the extractor and stripper may be the key to what's going on. It's in the area of the guide finger and also near the locking lug area. My thought is that it's pinching the rims in those spots, and doesn't have enough power to get the rim over the next cartridge and slam home.

OP, check your spent rounds. Do they match mine?

EDIT: On the above pic, you can see a nick on the rim at the top! It hit right where the bolt locking lug is! Looks like that area is going to get stoned down.

Edited by Capt Nemo
  • 3 weeks later...

Got a chance to fire again with just target loads.

Factory 5 rnd mags:

Second round hangs up when chambering.

Stovepipe on last round on two of the three mags.

Had one round not eject and mash into chamber, but everything else ejected and cycled.

AGP 10 rnd mags:

Second round hangs up when chambering.

Stovepipe on last round on three mags.

Had a few other hang ups mid mag, but normally saw the above.

All the rest ejected and cycled.

Overall, better than last time out. The AGP mags are generally matching the factory mags in function. Still seeing munched areas on the rims. The grass needed some mowing and got mowed S-12 style!

On cleaning, I noticed that the bolt can hit the upper shell guide and catch. I had stoned down this area before, and it improved things. This time I filed and stoned the area of the bolt that hits in this area. The bolt had file nicks from the factory (really quite coarse for a file), so I rounded over the edge a little and removed the nicks.

Back to the range......

Stopped back with a bulk pack of Winchester Universal.

Only 2 rounds cycled, 5 stovepipes, and the rest mushed into the side of the chamber without hitting the ejector.

Will have to port it to run this crap, or stick to the Federal's.

Well, I have to knock out the detent pin anyway as there's some burr or gunk jamming the detent down. It doesn't like to pop back out and lock the plug. I'm going to take it one port at a time, and not all 4 at once. The hottest rounds of universal did cycle, so it shouldn't take much more gas to get the rest going.