Getting Sheriff to sign form-4

In the next couple weeks, I've got plans set in motion to buy my first NFA firearm (big_smile.gif ). I think I'm pretty much ready to handle all the paperwork, time and waiting. The only thing that has me slightly on edge is dealing with the local sheriff. I've got a clean history, but that isn't what has me uneasy. Is the meeting more of an interview, or a quick document signature or other? From what I've heard, he seems to be pretty good about allowing NFA items into our county. I'm sure each one handles it slightly different than every other, so I guess I'm kind of fishing for what to expect as far as the signature meeting goes.

I'm closing in on making my first NFA purchase as well. From other accounts that I've read most have just dropped off the paper work, it was signed and then picked up at a later time (day). Most of these individuals had their finger printing done at this time as well.

The CLEO in my county wi bring you talk BS as he does a quick record check then he will sign if your clean. Which we always are.

You know a side note. A felon can't be charged with vilolation of The NFA, because the felon would self incrimanate there by violationing his 5TH. So if a felony with a gun gets caught they charge him with a felon in possession of a firearm only regardless if the gun is a SBR, SBS, or machine-gun.

The felon would self incriminate by following the NFA procccess. I left that out.

Hence the not being charged with NFA weapon.

I'm not trying to have a pissing match, and I don't expect laws to make any sense, but that makes no fucking sense at all.

Now maybe a felon could not be charged with submitting an NFA form or requesting CLEO sign off, but that is only because he doesn't have a fire arm in his possession at that time. That also doesn't mean that the request for such paper work couldn't used as evidence to obtain a warrant of said felon's home. Walking into the CLEO's office as a felon and asking to get approved for a NFA weapon isn't incriminating yourself..unless you say something like " I'm building wanting to build an SBS from this old shotgun at home". It just means that if asked you don't have to answer.

However that doesn't mean if a felon is at home making SBS, SBRs, supressors or machine guns they are immune from NFA law, and cannot be brought up on federal weapons charges.

Edited by poolingmyignorance

Hence the not being charged with NFA weapon.

I'm not trying to have a pissing match, and I don't expect laws to make any sense, but that makes no fucking sense at all.

Now maybe a felon could not be charged with submitting an NFA form or requesting CLEO sign off, but that is only because he doesn't have a fire arm in his possession at that time. That also doesn't mean that the request for such paper work couldn't used as evidence to obtain a warrant of said felon's home. Walking into the CLEO's office as a felon and asking to get approved for a NFA weapon isn't incriminating yourself..unless you say something like " I'm building wanting to build an SBS from this old shotgun at home". It just means that if asked you don't have to answer.

However that doesn't mean if a felon is at home making SBS, SBRs, supressors or machine guns they are immune from NFA law, and cannot be brought up on federal weapons charges.

What Monty is saying is that if you are a Felon, wether you have a single shot 22LR or an illegally modified full auto SBR, the charge is the same, Felon in possession of a firearm. I have heard this same thing and am not a lawyer, so I don't know if it is true or not.

A felon cannot be brought up on an NFA law only Felon in possession of a Firearm, to charge them with a violation with the NFA would be unconstitutional because they would have to incriminate themselves.

I have no idea if this is BS or not but that is what he is trying to say.

Edited by HOG76

HOG76 is spot on. I know it seems stupid and really all a machine gun charge is is tax evasion. I'm not saying it's smart or right but I've read this from many sources.

I know if were to become a felon and still wanted to own guns the would be fun guns ray were illegal anyway.