Problem or not? First impressions...

So I got my Vepr 12 on Monday and was thrilled but the one problem with it was the wooden laminate stock was wobbly as hell. I tried to tighten the two screws down the front one worked okay but the one on the tang had nothing to grab onto, just stripped. Now I know that they thrown on whatever they have on hand for Vepr's because they cannot import the functioning side folders and it keeps cost down, but I am just a little disappointed that a $1300 gun has the crappiest stock on any gun I have seen to date.

I have a Bonesteel Side Folder Galil Style in route and should have it by the end of the week which I was already planning on putting on so I was just wondering if anyone thinks it would be a bad idea to hold onto it? My worst fear is that somehow the reciver is somehow out of spec and any stock I put on it will have problems. I know this is mostly fear, so on the other side since I am switching out the stock already does anyone think its a good idea to hold onto it.

The gun ran flawlessly, and that is the only reason I am hesitant about sending it back for repair or exchange. Here is the range report:

I ran two SGM tactical mags and five molot 5 rounders, and it ran everything, federal value pack target loads;1200 fps, Winchester super max 7 shot; 1350 fps, 3 inch Super Max, 1550 fps and a ton others. They all ran great. I did a few mixed load mags too, with no problems.

I was very worried about SGM mags being hit or miss but I ordered 2 10 rounders as well. When I got them they seemed a little cheap and they were really hard to load, little extra burs or left over material impeading the loading, but after trying for a while, loading and unloading repeatedly they smoothed out. On the range one if them was hard to get in the first couple times but after that they ran smooth. 0 fte's 0 ftf's with SGM and the 5 round factory mags. LRBHO worked 100% of the time*** with the exception of one mag that I was hip firing which was understandable.

So overall the gun kicked ass and I just need some input on what you guys would do, trash/sell the stock or send it back for repair/exchange? Thanks!

Edited by Mountain Man

Do about the stock? Sell it. I sold mine for 30 bucks or something. The stock is just stuck on there so they can import it. Its crappy, and useless. Mine wouldnt stay tight either. I honestly dont know that anyone has kept the imported wood stock on their gun. Its a given to change that out. Dont worry about it.

Glad the gun ran great. Enjoy. welcome to the club.

If that is your big problem consider yourself good!

On these shotguns, it looks like molot took a normal AK stock and sanded it down to fit. In your case, they sanded a little bit too much to fit tightly in the receiver is all. some had canted rails which would be a much, much bigger problem IMO. If you really want to use the laminate stock, a layer or three of stainless tape (speed tape) wrapped around the tang will make it fit as snug as you wish and is invisible once the stock is installed. As mentioned above, that stock is essentially a placeholder. Congrats!

I was afraid to say that too...

For the same amount you could get a Vepr-12 w/ genuine Russian folding stock.

The folder is built like a tank.

Not trying to sound like a prick but thankfully they are importing functioning side folders now. Only took me few minutes with a micro file & bam - a perfect folder with built in locks, cheek rest & rubber buttpad.

I was afraid to say that too...

For the same amount you could get a Vepr-12 w/ genuine Russian folding stock.

The folder is built like a tank.

Not trying to sound like a prick but thankfully they are importing functioning side folders now. Only took me few minutes with a micro file & bam - a perfect folder with built in locks, cheek rest & rubber buttpad.

:) No worries guys, yeah I just wanted to go Bonesteel for my folder, as I wasn't a fan of the angle of the Russian folder, but yes for anyone else out there, that would still be a great choice!

• 3 weeks later...

Same exact thing with mine. I didn't even shoot it and took the wobbly ass stock off because I thought it would either break something or end up in my face.

Lol, good to hear i am not the only one, what are you thinking for the replacement? My bonnesteel is solid!

Same exact thing with mine. I didn't even shoot it and took the wobbly ass stock off because I thought it would either break something or end up in my face.

Lol, good to hear i am not the only one, what are you thinking for the replacement? My bonnesteel is solid!

Did a Magpul CTR with the thicker buttpad and a RifleDynamics RD AK to M4 Stock adapter. Looks sexy as hell.