My 13yr old son has a .410 Saiga(1999 Mercury-Hermes\LEGION IZHEVSK with the velcro looking covered over importer marking). I overpaid at $600 during the "Saiga Shotgun Ban speculation" sometime ago.

I purchased it new and had a local gunsmith take care of the mods. I then sent it to Tony Rumore and he stripped it to bare metal and Moly Resin coated for me.

My son was really into it at the time. I had my Tromix S12 and we thought we would go hunting with them. Well my S12 is no longer with me and the .410 is kind of cumbersome for him to carry all day.

I bought us a pair of Mossberg 500's (12 for me and .410 for him)..... We will hunt with them.

He has shot less than 2 boxes through the .410

I have over 11,000 round of 7.62x39 and .410 is expensive.

I think I should easily get $800 for his Saiga.

SO the question is:

Should I talk him into selling it and have him buy a AK in 7.62x39? (even if the caliber is a bit big for him now....he can grow into it) (oh and keeping the .410 and buying a AK is not currently an option)

post-22193-0-90451900-1370868537_thumb.jpg

The recoil of .410 and 7.62x39 are pretty comparable - which is to say, neither is significant. If he can handle .410, 7.62x39 won't be a problem. Maybe let him make the decision, without the convincing?

• Like 1

This is a special weapon that your son got as a gift. You should teach him how to hold onto something, take care of it and watch it grow in value.

Make him work for his next rifle by doing chores around the house. By the end of summer he should have the coin to get another AK if he wants it. If he can't hump a saiga around hunting, then he needs to be doing PT as well. My old man gave me 5 bucks for taking out the trash, running and doing pushups and situps. Hell of a deal.

I ended up mowing lawns, taking out the trash for my family and neighbors, cleaning up junk piles, cleaning the floor of the bank, cleaning firearms and had quite an arsenal from hard work and payment.

The saiga is nice, hard to find nice ones and the price will only go up. Keep it forever, when you're dead, he will appreciate it even more. IMHO, a 13 year old only needs a battle rifle when they are coked up in africa. The 7.62 is not a good rifle for a 13 year old. :)

• Like 1

All good points. Just figured as he grew older, he would want to shoot the same rifles I do. And with my surplus of ammo, it made sense.

The .410 isnt as fun at the range, but I'll leave it up to him

I'd suggest keeping the .410 since it can be used for hunting or home protection, and have him start saving for a rifle if he wants one.

My son is 15 now and has saved up for his .410, AR15, and his 22lr 552 Remington. Chores have always been required to build character, and learn responsablity. I have always paid our kids for good grades come report card time, and for above and beyond work around the house. Between that, birthdays, and Christmas. He keeps a pretty good stash of cash.

I though he'd want to shoot the same guns I do, but I was wrong he's an AR guy and I'm an AK guy.

If your son wants it bad enough he'll save up for it. Until then let him shoot your guns to see if he's going to want to shoot the same guns you do.

• Like 1

Just as gun project not entering into the area of raising kids, the x39 with a good brake is the next best thing to 223 recoil wise.

Better than the 410 in a lot of ways but the 410 may be the better "defense" weapon so its not a decision that has a lot of down side unless he would enjoy shooting one more than the other. The x39 has more potential for training marksmanship than the 410.

PS

I wouldn't post specifics about what I had stored away. Just IMHO.

Just as gun project not entering into the area of raising kids, the x39 with a good brake is the next best thing to 223 recoil wise.

Better than the 410 in a lot of ways but the 410 may be the better "defense" weapon so its not a decision that has a lot of down side unless he would enjoy shooting one more than the other. The x39 has more potential for training marksmanship than the 410.

PS

The NSA and ATF have already shared info. They know what we have. So, other than potential theft why hide it.

• Like 1

PS

The NSA and ATF have already shared info. They know what we have. So, other than potential theft why hide it.

Just in my humble opinion. Call it caution nothing more, its free so I use it liberally.

I know as a living fireman you are the soul of caution, correct?

• 1 month later...

A big drum in a .410 makes for a hell of a lot of fun at the range smile.png

I like Montec's S12, but I've been hankering for a .410 and a big drum smile.png Maybe a Bumpski too big_smile.gif

No doubt the .410 is fun at the range......I have so much surplus x39 ammo......it just makes sense to get another rifle

I left it up to him and he decided a rifle would be nice for him

• Like 1