I been on a smoking kick. Amazing ribs. Com has some excellent info, y'all need to check it out. Kinda pressed for time during week, what can I smoke( pork ) that won't take all day like brisket. Ribs take a while, and I don't want to fight the bones and lack of meatiness and my laziness with side dishes.

Edited by saltydecimator

For pork, loin is usually decent - you can buy a whole loin (usually 6-8 pounds), cut a couple roasts off the ends and pork chops out of the middle section - smoke the roasts, grill the chops.

If you're not too set on pork, get some chicken thighs.

They're not too thick so they cook pretty fast, they have a fair amount of fat, and they're dirt cheap - around here you can buy a 10-pound bag of raw chicken thighs for $7. With a good rub, marinade or bbq sauce, all that flavor gets into the chicken - and chicken thighs retain a lot more moisture than breasts tend to, so it doesn't usually come out as dry and stringy, if done right.

I've been doing a lot of stews lately, using a lot of Indian spices - tandoori, tikka masala, hot yellow curry. Yum. I made some tandoori chicken a few weeks ago - marinaded in a mixture of yogurt and tandoori seasoning for 24 hours, then right into the oven at 325 'til it hit 165 internal.

Nomnomnomnom. I don't have a smoker - but that recipe would be amazing smoked...

I been on a smoking kick. Amazing ribs. Com has some excellent info, y'all need to check it out. Kinda pressed for time during week, what can I smoke( pork ) that won't take all day like brisket. Ribs take a while, and I don't want to fight the bones and lack of meatiness and my laziness with side dishes.

Its about slow and low!

We smoke our ribs and Boston Butt est.. on a day when we will be doing things at home.

1. night before we trim and prepare (rub) the meat , wrap and let it set over night in frig.

2. in morning when having coffee take them out to get them to room temp and set up smoker.

3. start cooking.

5 remove and cool if you wan BBQ on a later day

6. vac pack and seal then freese

7. because it is in a vac pack put BBQ in boiling water ,heat and eat.

No pain no gain. best smoker for novice is the Bradley Automatic Smoker.

Some things in life never comes fast .

Its about slow and low!

We smoke our ribs and Boston Butt est.. on a day when we will be doing things at home.

1. night before we trim and prepare (rub) the meat , wrap and let it set over night in frig.

2. in morning when having coffee take them out to get them to room temp and set up smoker.

3. start cooking.

Step 4? We don't need no stinkin' step 4.

• Like 2

Its about slow and low!

3. start cooking.

Step 4? We don't need no stinkin' step 4.

oops!

4. baby your baby backs while they are cooking

• Like 1

And for a real treat- Cube out some fresh pineapple, wrap with 1/2 strip bacon.(Kunzler's Pepper Spiced) Secure with round not flat toothpicks and smoke until the bacon has "serioused up". Do the same with water chestnuts. Hands down the top two requests for our 4th celebrations poolside. Takes about 45 min to cook.

Too Funny, We spent all day Making my Pig Flipper, and the little pig was quite tasty. Lets build a smoker next

Too Funny, We spent all day Making my Pig Flipper, and the little pig was quite tasty. Lets build a smoker next
Sounds like a plan. What are we smoking first?

Sounds like a plan. What are we smoking first?

Since you guys are next to the boarder. I have some very inappropriate ideas.

Seems like there is nothing that smokes fast for me. I spent last weekend making 28 pounds of Texas Link Sausage and it took a total of 24 hours to get it smoked (Pecan) on my 18 1/2 Weber Smoky Mountain. I used 165F and cooked it to 152F internal temperature. That allowed the fat content to remain in the sausages and not melt away. When we vacuum sealed them they weighed in at about 21 pounds. Between moisture loss, test patties and eating a couple straight from the smoker that was my shrinkage. Take your time and enjoy it. I have found that your times increase dramatically when you cook in bulk. 2 Pork Butts take twice the time as one.

Edited by 1911
  • Like 1

Not sure if you are a fish eater but smoked trout or salmon is hard to beat and doesn't take more than three hours.

A pic of some of April's catch on the smoker.

can you tell me more about this? is there any reason why you leave the head and tail on? I figure if you're going to cut 'em open and clean, why stop there?

I do a lot of smoked steelhead. Coscto has pretty good deals on steelhead in the late summer/fall and I buy a lot of it. I tend to gorge on smoked fish whenever I make it.. It's hard to control.

As far as beef goes.. A friend of mine has been doing smoked steaks from london broil. It's a fraction of the cost of buying real steak. Usually he gets 4-5 steaks out of the broil, sliced against the grain. Smoke them on low heat for several hours and then finish on flame. Haven't done any yet myself, but his are awesome, smoky and tender.

Edited by mancat

Not sure if you are a fish eater but smoked trout or salmon is hard to beat and doesn't take more than three hours.

can you tell me more about this? is there any reason why you leave the head and tail on? I figure if you're going to cut 'em open and clean, why stop there?

I do a lot of smoked steelhead. Coscto has pretty good deals on steelhead in the late summer/fall and I buy a lot of it. I tend to gorge on smoked fish whenever I make it.. It's hard to control.

As far as beef goes.. A friend of mine has been doing smoked steaks from london broil. It's a fraction of the cost of buying real steak. Usually he gets 4-5 steaks out of the broil, sliced against the grain. Smoke them on low heat for several hours and then finish on flame. Haven't done any yet myself, but his are awesome, smoky and tender.

My Grandfather used to smoke fish a lot, My understanding is the head and tail being left on is to keep the meat sealed in the skin, if you remove the head it opens the meat and lets it dry out.

My family is big on 'upgrading' cuts of beef. We get the whole sirloin (called knuckles up north), which is a cut that has some gristle and fatty areas on it but its generally fairly cheap. Then its sliced cross grain and anything less then perfect is ground, in this way you get better quality lower fat ground beef and decent "steaks" for about half of what real steaks cost.

I have wanted a smoker, but have a feeling owning one would make me fatter then I currently am.

I have read that cutting the spine can toughen the meat. Not sure how true this is. It also gives you the greatest amount of meat per fish. You always loose a little when you remove the head and tail. One more thing. Trout and salmon have a small piece of meat in the cheek area that is like a small scallop and is especially tender and delicious.

My Grandfather used to smoke fish a lot, My understanding is the head and tail being left on is to keep the meat sealed in the skin, if you remove the head it opens the meat and lets it dry out.

Your Grandfather was obviously a wise man whose advise should always be given full consideration. Keeping the meat sealed makes perfect sense to me.