Removing front sight

So I was just wondering if there is a replacement for the gas block/front sight that does not have the integrated sight? Maybe from another AK variant or Saiga 12, that would work that does not have the front sight attached to it? I just wanted to see what was out there if Chaos indeed does make a rear rail replacement I would like to run HK sights in a flat top type setting.

Also wondering if anyone knows of a rear leaf replacement that has a rail section that is like this IPSC edition vepr?

post-47698-0-59202300-1370928165_thumb.jpg

I have found a lot that run longer than this but I am looking for a short section of rail, that won't interfere with the dust cover, to mount an EXPS 2 on, Thanks!

Edited by Mountain Man

Yeah, I have looked at most of the options out there, and the dog leg seems great but with the Vepr 12 I don't know if the clearance issue with an Eotech is addressed or cleared up. I do like mine set a little more forward, it just seems faster to pick up, so if I would still have to mount it on the rear section of the dog leg, I am back to where I started.

That's why I think the rear sight leaf rail section would be great, it is out of the way and far enough forward to feel comfortable.

Carolina shooter supply has a replacement duat cover rail section available. No one, to my knowledge, has stated whether it clears up the carrier friction issue that causes failures with a large mounted optic.

Also, Chaos is supposed to release a higher rail sometime soon that is supposed to match the height of their front section. Even if you do not go with the quad rail option this could still help solve that problem.

I used what is admittedly weak googlin abilities and was unable to find that specific part, but you may want to send an email to rusmilitary and see if it is something you can get from them. I can not imagine it being controlled like some other items and if it is european they may have access to it.

Thanks, yea I was wondering if the CSS rail impacts function at all since the most forward rivet has been designed slightly larger an is said to keep the carrier functioning properly. I have the Chaos front rail on order too, I was just thinking the way they have been rolling products out, it might not be for a few months.

What I would love to get rid of though is the front sight, and man I do not want to figure out a way to cut it offnonono.gif

I ground mine off flush with the bench sander while I had the gas block off. Not very difficult. It will leave a small hole in the top of the gas block where the sight was pinned in. You weld the hole closed. I threaded mine and Loctite'd (red) a set screw in the hole in case I ever wanted to install a Tru-Glo bead on the gas block, again. I doubt it, but you never know. You need to make sure you don't get down into the threads!

Edited by Yeoldetool

I ground mine off flush with the bench sander while I had the gas block off. Not very difficult. It will leave a small hole in the top of the gas block where the sight was pinned in. You weld the hole closed. I threaded mine and Loctite'd (red) a set screw in the hole in case I ever wanted to install a Tru-Glo bead on the gas block, again. I doubt it, but you never know. You need to make sure you don't get down into the threads!

Any chance you wanna do mine? laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png No, really...It is glad to know it can be done, thank for the tip!

• 8 months later...