Best way to carry Firebird 15rd mags for 3gun

So now that I have a new Firebird Akdal shotgun and a few 15rd mags (5rd mag with the Saiga mag extension) I need to figure out the best way to carry them with me in a 3gun stage. Are people using pouches (fabric or polymer) or clips on their belt (and if so which type?)? I would probably want to be able to carry 2 mags on my person besides the one in the gun.

Thanks.

Currently playing around with home made clips on the 15 rd and 10 rd magazines. I'm trying one of each held to the belt with the shells up and one of each with the shells down.

I made the clips out of 3/32" Kydex. Each piece is 3" x 6" so I get 8 clips from a 12" x 12" piece of Kydex. Heat in the oven at 325 degrees for several minutes and bend.

Until I decide which way I like the mags oriented while on my belt, I'm just using black duct tape to hold them on.

So far I like it so much that I'm going to give it a try on some Magpul mags for the AR.

Bill

I have 4 of the 15-rd mags. I’m thinking now I might put some kydex belt clips on 2 of them and then a coupler on the other 2. Firebird recommending not coupling the 15’s together because of potential problems with the mag catch but I wonder if I downloaded them to 12 each or 24 total (or some other number) it would be ok. Then I would have the option of using the arredondo coupler or another coupler system. Which coupler system would work best for grabbing onto the saiga12 component of the mags? I would have to use a shell stop of some sort. Where can I get one of those? The arredondo one probably wouldn’t work for the Akdal unless I glued it (I don’t feel comfortable drilling and tapping the upper receiver).

Mine are faced down, with no problems.

look at this post...#14 for what I am using.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/87548-a-little-something-we-threw-together-for-3-gun/

Belt clips are what I have been using...no regrets yet. It is best to stagger the hights on the clips ( tallest in the rear, 2 clips max)

Are you running them with the top of the magazine up or down?

Thanks.

Edited by compshootfl

Also, instead of using a belt clip, has anyone glued a mag to either a safariland ELS clip or bladetech TMMS clip with the snap feature removed? That could be a slick setup for 3gun.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would only hook the mag over the outer belt. My clips go over both the inner and outer belt. Nice and secure and slides easily off the belt.

Bill

Correct, the mag would have the male portion of the ELS clip (with the snap removed) and it would go into the female portion which is rigidly attached to the outer belt only. It's a crazy idea and I don't know how well something like this would work. I think it would hold the mag securely but might bind when you pull it out on a reload.

Here's what I'm running. I'm Using T&N coupled mags but I could do one for Firebird mags.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/88112-my-new-kydex-dual-mag-carrier/

posted this in the other thread , but, it NEEDS to be posted multiple times 027.gif

Tried them out today at CMMG, although I didn't need a reload out of it, no stage had a high enough Rd count.

It works EXCELLENT , nice work Jeremy.032.gif

Wore it ALL day, bending, walking, a LITTLE running,

VERY NICE ! ! ! !

See my solution on that same thread. Pretty similar to others for 10 rounders.

I don't think kydex holsters is the way to go for the 15 rounders, too long. I think belt clips will be the way to go for the 15s. I am going to try carrying shells up. I wonder if trying to rotate a 15 rounder that is carried shells down wouldn't be too unwieldy. If you carry it shells up, I think it would be easier to grip and pull it straight up into the magwell.

See my solution on that same thread. Pretty similar to others for 10 rounders.

I don't think kydex holsters is the way to go for the 15 rounders, too long. I think belt clips will be the way to go for the 15s. I am going to try carrying shells up. I wonder if trying to rotate a 15 rounder that is carried shells down wouldn't be too unwieldy. If you carry it shells up, I think it would be easier to grip and pull it straight up into the magwell.

I plan to carry the MKA magazines way back on my left hip behind the pistol magazine pouches. With the shells down, I can reach back and place my thumb on the rear of the magazine, pull upward and rotate the magazine to vertical as I move it to the gun. With the shells down, I can move a mag all the way to the small of the back and still get a good grasp on the magazine.

With the shells up, I have to twist my hand clockwise to get a similar (but not quite as good) grip on the magazine. It also forces me to move the magazines forward on the belt which means removing one of the pistol mag pouches.

Comparing the two, with the shells down,getting the magazine from the belt to the gun is more "natural" and in practice is slightly faster (typically under 2-1/4 seconds from shot to reload to shot).

My concern with carrying the mags with the shells down was leaving a trail of 12 gauge rounds as I ran downrange. So far in practice that has not happened and others indicate they have done the same with no problems.

I've also mounted the clips on a couple of AR Pmags but have not had a chance to try this out at the range. Using clips instead of mag pouches leaves a lot of real estate open on the belt.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

My concern with carrying the mags with the shells down was leaving a trail of 12 gauge rounds as I ran downrange. So far in practice that has not happened and others indicate they have done the same with no problems.

Bill

Im not worried about dropping shells when running, but rather sticking (or losing) the the top round into mud when kneeling, going prone, crawling, or some other crazy activity.

Edited by gose

Bill

Im not worried about dropping shells when running, but rather sticking (or losing) the the top round into mud when kneeling, going prone, crawling, or some other crazy activity.

We are in a drought so I've not seen mud in a while (but I don't miss it either).

But I do see your point.

However, going prone, crawling and some other crazy activities are no longer in my skill set (age 61 and counting). oops.gif

Bill

We are in a drought so I've not seen mud in a while (but I don't miss it either).

But I do see your point.

However, going prone, crawling and some other crazy activities are no longer in my skill set (age 61 and counting). oops.gif

Something like that might be slightly iffy rounds down... It was bad enough rounds up :)

Bill

But I do see your point.

Something like that might be slightly iffy rounds down... It was bad enough rounds up smile.png

I ought to build one of those snow fence chicken coops for our monthy club match. Looks like a hoot. It'd more likely end up in a lynching.

Bill

But I do see your point.

Something like that might be slightly iffy rounds down... It was bad enough rounds up smile.png

That looks like a fun stage!