Barrel threads and break troubles

Hello and thanks for any feedback that can be givin. My vepr did not have a threaded barrel and I purchased a Manticore ak74 nite brake that I want to attach. I was planning on having a gunsmith thread the barrel for me anyways but the nite brake is in 24mm and my barrel is much smaller I assume would be 14mm. I looked on kvar at front sight posts with 24mm threads should I go that route or would it be best to have the barrel threaded 14mm and get an adapter to 24mm?

if it was me, I would change out the front sight base for the AK74 type with the 24mm thread, and screw the night brake on that. going that way, you don't need to have the barrel threaded, which who knows how long that will be out at the gunsmith and plus spending money on having it done, then messing around looking for a adapter.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

On the other hand, if you spring for lathe threading by the gunsmith, if at some later date you decide to send $200 to the ATF and buy a suppressor, you should be good to go. I would not trust the integral threads on one of the front sight blocks to be sufficiently aligned with the barrel for suppressor use. It may end up that way, but if you go with the lathe threading and get a different muzzle device to match, you should be good to go. If springing for lathe threading, I would also not go for the standard 14mm AK thread, as some suppressor manufacturers will not offer their products in this thread, due to the chronic inaccurate machining of the factory threads on AK barrels.

A few months ago, I helped a buddy press the barrel out (and later back in) of his 7.62x39 VEPR for lathe threading. The gunsmith threaded it for 9/16-24, which gave full thread engagement, and a decent square shoulder for the suppressor mount to butt up against (important for correct alignment). That's a standard American barrel thread that any suppressor maker will thread for, and there are plenty of regular muzzle devices available for it. The important thing to keep in mind, is that threading the barrel is a one shot deal in that you generally only get one chance at doing it right. A higher end AK like a VEPR deserves spending the coin and taking the time to do it right.

Edit to add, picture of my buddy's VEPR with 9/16-24 threaded barrel, and flash hider with integral suppressor mount:

vepr2.jpg

Edited by Netpackrat