Well you do have to "mod" your Saiga if you want to use high capacity magazines and remain within the law. I suggest you do some research on 922r, there is a whole section in this forum devoted to it.

• Like 1

And when you insert a higher capacity magazine you have in fact replaced the original parts with other ones and altered it from the imported configuration and still must comply with 922r.

Provided you have a base rifle as stated without a conversion and an after market mag you have 11 foreign parts and 3 compliance parts (assuming US made mag) You must have less than 10 foreign parts to comply with 922r, and you must comply with 922r when you insert the after market magazine with a capacity of more than 10 rounds (its kinda sketchy to me for 10 round and under after market mags, I have never found a definitive answer)

Indy has a 922r thread stickied at the top of the 308 section, there are 2 calculators you can use to see the compliance.

But hey you got one part right, 308 doesn't require a bullet guide to be installed in the rifle. Even for after market mags, it is built into all of the mags due to the fact that there is no surplus military 308 saiga mags.

• Like 1

And when you insert a higher capacity magazine you have in fact replaced the original parts with other ones and altered it from the imported configuration and still must comply with 922r.

Provided you have a base rifle as stated without a conversion and an after market mag you have 11 foreign parts and 3 compliance parts (assuming US made mag) You must have less than 10 foreign parts to comply with 922r, and you must comply with 922r when you insert the after market magazine with a capacity of more than 10 rounds (its kinda sketchy to me for 10 round and under after market mags, I have never found a definitive answer)

Indy has a 922r thread stickied at the top of the 308 section, there are 2 calculators you can use to see the compliance.

But hey you got one part right, 308 doesn't require a bullet guide to be installed in the rifle. Even for after market mags, it is built into all of the mags due to the fact that there is no surplus military 308 saiga mags.

Edited by 922r compliant

If you have only changed the magazine you are not following 922r and have an illegal rifle when you use the high cap mags. The mag only counts as 3 USA made parts and the ak had 15 saiga sporter has 14 as imported. You cant have more than 10 imported parts. With a USA made magazine you still have 11 countable parts. That's why people say you need to convert if you install a pistol grip that part is a wash as long as it's us made but the stock if you change it to a US made that would put you legal but, abs there is some confusion on this the factory mag would put you our of compliance.

Most people that are worried about 922r go ahead and make their gun legal with imported mags, the way to do that would be changing the trigger group that fives you three.

To recap you must change a total of 4 parts on the saiga sporter to be legal. And depending on the mag is a bad idea since it's easily changed out. Convert the thing to pistol grip anyway that's the first thing anyone should do if they own a saiga especially a .308 since it's easier and the stock trigger sucks big time.

So if you convert the trigger can be changed for three parts, then use a US stock to count toward you number. Those four parts make you legal, however if you decide to change to a foreign muzzle brake you must change something to US made. Give and take.

So basically if all you have changed is the magazine you not legal

• Like 1

Hey it's all good. You know now. I don't see the ATF busting your door down cause a sear is nit made in America but Russia. I may be wrong but I don't think anyone has ever been procuted for 922r. I think it's more an importer and makers problems.

• Like 1

Hah that new stock would the part you need. Then to ensure you are always legal by only using US mags you can sell me that crappy Russian Mag at a fair price.

I was going to suggest a website to you. Lol it looks like you bought a 3 pack and it did not go good. Seen a post of yours on another thread.

My mags have zero issues. Sad to hear your mags did. And thanks for the fix info.

http://uintaindustries.com/store/u308-magazine-three-pack/

Edited by KustomBlackGunz

They work perfect now. I actually bought three used mags from a member here. I went shooting Friday and had the locking lug totally break off the front of the mag. I was shooting probe as was my buddy that's a marine. I know I mag monopod I don't thing he did but the last two shots jammed and then we I was packing everything up I noticed the mag I used missing the whole lug. I contacted the maker and they said they wanted my address and would make it right. We will see what they do. But the fact I bought the mag used and they act like they are going to replace it looks like great customer service. In the thread where I describe my fix I make it a point to say I was all on my own and never contacted the maker to see what they would do, I can't however fix a broken/missing locking lug/feed ramp.

I've not talked about this here since I want to give them a chance to "make it right"

• Like 1

They work perfect now. I actually bought three used mags from a member here. I went shooting Friday and had the locking lug totally break off the front of the mag. I was shooting probe as was my buddy that's a marine. I know I mag monopod I don't thing he did but the last two shots jammed and then we I was packing everything up I noticed the mag I used missing the whole lug. I contacted the maker and they said they wanted my address and would make it right. We will see what they do. But the fact I bought the mag used and they act like they are going to replace it looks like great customer service. In the thread where I describe my fix I make it a point to say I was all on my own and never contacted the maker to see what they would do, I can't however fix a broken/missing locking lug/feed ramp. I've not talked about this here since I want to give them a chance to "make it right"

Edited by 922r compliant