Siaga 12 or MKA1919

Hey all I have done a good bit of research but I want opinions from people who own both. This seems like the best forum to ask since there is a following for both platforms here.

My plan is to buy either a MKA1919XN (669.00) or a Siaga IZ-109 (799.00) I know either one will work with high brass ammo right out of the box and I know they are both sound platforms. My plans are to run a couple hundred rounds through whichever gun I get then mod it. With the MKA I would do a AR style stock, quadrail, then look into making an SBS....With the Siaga 12 my plan would be about the same, although I do like the look of wood on an AK even if it was just the forgrip. I know that both platforms have their quirks and I was leaning towards the MKA until I saw several people with broken poly lowers from doing the stock mod and also damaged feed ramps.

So to all the people who have both guns please give me your input and also pics would be great in helping me decide.

Lol. Touché

I only own a Saiga, and I love it so much I couldn't give a flip about the Akdal. Wish I could give a balanced opinion. Seems I have seen people who own both discussing them somewhere. May not have been this forum (they were discussing three gun). I want to say it was the Brian Enos forum shotgun section. I remember the Saiga won the discussion. Good luck in your quest, and welcome to the forum! Post pics when you get your Saiga 12.

I do not know guys, everything has it quarks but ultimately I think it is just a matter of what you are looking for..........do you want an AK or an M16 magazine-fed shotgun?

I faced this same exact decision prior to making my purchase of a magazine fed shotgun 6 months ago. I ultimately went with the Saiga for many reasons but the biggest were:

- Saiga is proven, the 1919 is still very new in terms of firearm age
- Many more modifications/aftermarket parts available for the Saiga

- Hi-Cap magazine Prices ($30 for a 10 round Saiga vs $75 for a 10 round 1919) and no Drum mags for the 1919 (yet)
- Places like this where you can go for help/support where the Saiga owners outnumber the 1919 owners at least 10 to 1 (ok I made that ratio up but I would assume it is very high)

-bp

Edited by burntpowder

Do some more reading on the 1919. I was sold on the saiga after some research. The most important decision maker for me was accessories. The saiga 12 has much more available. Then there is this forum and the wealth of knowledge to go along with my purchase. I recall reading some posts about parts breaking on the 1919; though I can't remember what part. I think the stock is much more difficult to change out and less options.

Turkish sporting rifle based on a rifle they know jack and shit about vs. a russian sporting rifle they invented.

The reason I will never have one is because of the lower receiver and how it is all one piece. You need to chop the hell out of it to do what you want to it. I shot a stock Turdunken and it was a light weight piece of shit. Dave ended up selling it during the panic at a nice price and was glad to dump it. It never did feed right.

Better steel, less parts, better design. More aftermarket parts and support. S12

Similar ergonomics to the AR, light weight, looks cool. MKA

Go for the S12

Edited by Stryker0946
  • Like 1

I have both, like both.

My S-12 is being turned into an AK-12SU.

My MKA-1919 will be getting a Firebird TAC-12 lower to alleviate all the aforementioned weaknesses and quirks.

You can't SBS an MKA-1919 much shorter than 14" due to the gas system. Unless there is a development I don't know about.

You can run a MKA-1919 faster than a Saiga-12

Saiga-12 is more reliable and easier to work on.

With the TAC-12 lower the vast amount of aftermarket AR-15 stocks and pistol grips fit. So if you got the coin to upgrade to the TAC-12 it has a larger variety of accessories than the Saiga-12

The Siaga-12 has working drums. The MKA-1919 will eventually have drums.

You can make the Saiga-12 feel just like your AK if you’re an AK guy.

You can make your MKA-1919 feel just like your AR if you’re an AR guy.

When it's all said and done I'll have spent the same amount of $ on both even counting the $400 lower on the MKA. Buying a 100 series stock, Krink furniture and Krinking the gas system for the Saiga will run about that much.

I think it depends on how you want to use it.

If I were stuck with it exactly as it came in the box, I would take MKA or V12.

If I had $900 to build the gun I wanted, S12. Figure in the cost of mags, and maybe a replacement drive block.

I'd suggest shooting both. I haven't shot an MKA, but I've held one and liked it. The castings inside looked almost like pot metal to me, and that is the area that has been problematic.

If you want drums, then S12 is your choice. If you want cheap mags, S12 and V12 are about equal. I expect MKA to be there in a year or so. IMO it looks like modding an MKA to meet 922r is trickier to do on an MKA without risking a fragile gun. I think it is likely to be cheaper to have a 922r compliant S12 with a few mags than to do the same with MKA.

If you want compact, you want S12 or V12. I think they are more durable too at this point, but that can change.

And A full aluminum firebird gun is a clear winner. So is a full race build based on a Saiga.

I think the MKA may have a nicer gas regulation system, but from what I have heard, it kics a little harder.

If I could only have one right now, I'd hunt for a used Vepr at ~$1k with a coupe mags, but I would be happy with any of the above.

I would definitely recommend a Saiga 12 over the MKA. Only reason for that is reliability, That being said, for a competition guns. a converted S12 wil be easier to transition from your rifle to shotgun. I've done a lil research on this and believe.