Newbie here, in the process of converting my S12. I have the following parts:

Saiga 12 Trigger guard set

AK pistol grip mount

Saiga 12 drilling guide

Is this grip mount to be externally installed? Tried mocking the trigger guard assembly without the mount. Front of the guard sticks out further since it sits on the selector stop and the rear is mounted directly onto the receiver. Should I ditch the mount and drill the square hole in the rear?

Not sure what parts you have but most people prefer cutting out the square hole and mounting a regular (internal) AK pistol grip nut. It's a stronger setup than the nut built into the guard. That being said, I lazied out several years and installed the one built into the guard on my S12 and have had no problems with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure what parts you have but most people prefer cutting out the square hole and mounting a regular (internal) AK pistol grip nut. It's a stronger setup than the nut built into the guard. That being said, I lazied out several years and installed the one built into the guard on my S12 and have had no problems with it.

I'll be looking for one that mounts to the guard when I do mine.