4 replies to this topic

#1 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

The Question Guy

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:04 AM

I have really been wanting to get an AK variant in .223 and I have a chance to get a used Saiga for about 475 or a new Vepr from Centerfire Systems for around 875.

I have researched both of them and am trying to figure out if in the long run the Saiga or Vepr would be cheaper to convert. Here is what I have in mind for the build, and also to note I would be sending it out to have the Saiga Conversion done or Vepr Bullet Guide install because my DIY skills are pretty limited.

Here are a list of the features I would want to add:

• Pistol Grip
  • Bonesteel AK Stock
  • G2 FCG
  • Bullet guide or whatever would allow me to run the widest variety of 223 double stack high capacity mags.
  • Handguard/Rail System (Chaos or Damage)
  • 922R compliant

Those are just the highlights but for the cost of the conversion and included parts, what do you think the best route would be, as far as a combination of cost, time, and overall functionality?) Thank you!!!

Also does anyone know where they have the Vepr models w/o the integrated sights? I checked Centerfire and Classic Firearms, no dice...

Edited by Mountain Man, 19 June 2013 - 02:06 AM.

The most trite and tired notion among AK owners, is that you somehow need to keep or make your AK proper, correct, or original. This is America not the Combloc, we don't need to conform, assimilate, or suckle the teat of those who would oppose original ideas.

#2 SCHULTZE

SCHULTZE

BlindDog Tactical

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:25 PM

I went with the SLR-106 bulg. AK from K-var as my .223 ak choice it has AK-100 folding stock and a 1 in 7 twist in the barrel.

#3 mikebaker1129

mikebaker1129

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:51 PM

I have both the Saiga in .223 and the Vepr in .223. The conversion process is just about the same . I picked my Vepr up from centerfire  for $499,but mine has the angled receiver. I like the Vepr more,but that is just me. The Saiga is a fine rifle also and you can run the slightly modified 35 rd Orilite Galil mags in them also, so that is a plus. Saiga is a bit lighter than the vepr and can use traditional buttstocks where as my vepr cannot.    The cost to convert will be just about the same given your desired features. 

Edited by mikebaker1129, 19 June 2013 - 08:53 PM.

#4 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

The Question Guy

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:32 AM

Thanks guys, I wiil look at both of those options!

The most trite and tired notion among AK owners, is that you somehow need to keep or make your AK proper, correct, or original. This is America not the Combloc, we don't need to conform, assimilate, or suckle the teat of those who would oppose original ideas.

#5 liberty -r- death

liberty -r- death

I walk where the devil dances. . .

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:45 PM

Saiga has a wider magazine well on it so mags are easier to find more options that will work in it.

There are only a few mag options for the Vepr without widening the mag well.

- even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while -
- Obuhmer won the election, we're fucked, keep on prepping -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users