Cost Analysis: Saiga & Vepr 223

I have really been wanting to get an AK variant in .223 and I have a chance to get a used Saiga for about 475 or a new Vepr from Centerfire Systems for around 875.

I have researched both of them and am trying to figure out if in the long run the Saiga or Vepr would be cheaper to convert. Here is what I have in mind for the build, and also to note I would be sending it out to have the Saiga Conversion done or Vepr Bullet Guide install because my DIY skills are pretty limited.

Here are a list of the features I would want to add:

• Pistol Grip
  • Bonesteel AK Stock
  • G2 FCG
  • Bullet guide or whatever would allow me to run the widest variety of 223 double stack high capacity mags.
  • Handguard/Rail System (Chaos or Damage)
  • 922R compliant

Those are just the highlights but for the cost of the conversion and included parts, what do you think the best route would be, as far as a combination of cost, time, and overall functionality?) Thank you!!!

Also does anyone know where they have the Vepr models w/o the integrated sights? I checked Centerfire and Classic Firearms, no dice...

Edited by Mountain Man

I have both the Saiga in .223 and the Vepr in .223. The conversion process is just about the same . I picked my Vepr up from centerfire for $499,but mine has the angled receiver. I like the Vepr more,but that is just me. The Saiga is a fine rifle also and you can run the slightly modified 35 rd Orilite Galil mags in them also, so that is a plus. Saiga is a bit lighter than the vepr and can use traditional buttstocks where as my vepr cannot. The cost to convert will be just about the same given your desired features.

Edited by mikebaker1129