Damn - about $2K on an AK.

I never thought I'd spend about $2K on a rifle, let alone an AK. But I did when all is said and done. DAYUM!

SGL21 $1000

Nato stock $15 (Warsaw Pact was just too short for my gorilla arms)

Optics mount $60

PA green laser $45 (it was on sale LOL)

PA light and tape switch $95

Light mount $18

MI SS Universal Quad Rail $150

Hogue pistol grip $27

Tactical case $100

GOOD front sight tool $35

Tool kit just for the AK $25

Mags $360 +/-

Ammo $several hundred bucks

Of course I had to decide to buy an AK at a bad time aka inflated prices, but I figured better late than never. Most of those prices include shipping, but not all. Man am I glad we got a good bonus for last year and I sold off some of my company stock. Otherwise this would have REALLY hurt.

And I still have to get an optic, was going to go with the now discontinued PA 2 MOA multi reticle and a magnifier plus mount for about another $250 or so. Now I have to find another optic with multi reticle that isn't 4 MOA or larger.

Guess I came down with AK disease :) The worst part, I can think of another AK variant or three I'd like to add...

I never thought I'd spend about $2K on a rifle, let alone an AK. But I did when all is said and done. DAYUM!

here you go, this one has an asking price of 5K

To each thier own......but damn that is an ugly AK for any price.........

Edited by Saiga Power

To date, i have spent 2085$ on my sgl, and 1627 on the s308. This is not counting mags or ammo lolz. Ill give yall a run down if you wanna hear lol.

Sorry to keep editing i keep remembering stuff.

Edited by LuPiN8oR

I'm a sitting at little over $3k on just my 5.45 related stuff (mags, ammo, parts, etc), but I've only got about $560 into the rifle itself.

I think I'm sitting at around around $2k for the 7.62, with ~$450 making up the cost of the rifle itself.

When I bought the Saiga I wasn't looking to buy an AK. But Obama had gotten re-elected and it was time to start looking if I was ever going to get one. When I started looking converted Saigas were going for about $100 more than an unconverted Saiga and the conversion parts so I figured I'd go that route. Then the mass buying began and the first thing I was able to find in stock was the SGL I bought and prices had jumped. Montec knows I called about 50 places and hit every site on the 'net. He'd find a place that had Saigas or SGLs listed as being in stock and shoot me the link. Better to pay more and have it than not be able to get one I figured.

Anyway, I just took some pics of Mikey (it had to have a code name when Montec and I talked about it so the girlfriend wouldn't know what we were talking about LOL).

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Dont beat yourself up. And I would not count mags and ammo toward the cost of the gun. That is like adding 10 years of gas to the price of your car.

I have about $650 into my build, but the rifle was only $299. Ahhhh, the good ole days.

There are a few things I've probably forgotten, leaving off mags and eventually adding optics I'll still be in the same ballpark. I've been lucky on my other guns as far as price, even counting in ammo I don't think I've got more than $1200 in them.

Hell, I bought my pickup for $500 and the repairs, second set of rims and tires brought me to about $1,000. Granted, it was only my daily driver for a year and I bought it because it was a good deal, but still. My AK cost me twice what my F250 did LOL.

Now if there was just more ammo out there so I wouldn't feel bad about cracking off a couple of hundred during a day at the range.

Simple is good. Having some extras isn't a bad idea either. Even keeping it simple - no optics mount / laser / flashlight / optics (when I get them), I'd still have gotten everything else. Even the flashlight is a decent hand flashlight, or put it on the home defense shotgun.

Most of the "extras" I can use on something else if I want. So I don't worry about it too much. Some of the stuff is AK specific though.

I had to reconfigure my MOLLE setup to work with the AK since it was set up for another rifle, but that was changing out a few pouches so no big deal. What's a hundred bucks or so in pouches when I've probably spent two grand over the years?

The AK is another item crossed off my list :) But there are still a few things on there.

Simple does not have to mean spartan although it certainly does qualify.

If your weapon is made more useful by changing over to different sighting, the most common addition, then doing so would make sense.

Just easier and cheaper to look very suspiciously at anything you may have to tote a few miles.

• 7 months later...

Glad you finally crossed it off the list.

I got the AK "bug" just before prices took off.

First Saiga $350 (started looking at parts and accessories), Saiga prices dropped to $300 a month later, second Saiga $300 (started looking at parts and accessories, again), prices started rising fast, found a 5.45 AK Parts Kit (+barrel) for $299, bought it (assembled gun prices were going crazy).

I figured getting the guns, while I could afford them, was most important.

Now I get to finally play "dress-up" with my 3 Russian "Barbies".

That's a nice looking rifle.

Edited by Sim_Player

I spent about $1,500 on my 5.45, I also never expected to spend that much on an AK, but I still love it, and it's worth it to me. I plan on getting an IP-78 Kashtan for it, so that will push it over $2k.

I'll post in the necro thread. cool.png

My SAM7SF set me back 1450 for the rifle alone. sad.png...I could have found it cheaper online, but I supported a local business in the process.

Its easy to spent coin on these things. Theres always one more thing I need to get for them, but I never stop at just that one item.

I'll post in the necro thread. cool.png

My SAM7SF set me back 1450 for the rifle alone. sad.png...I could have found it cheaper online, but I supported a local business in the process.

Its easy to spent coin on these things. Theres always one more thing I need to get for them, but I never stop at just that one item.

This is my problem exactly. There is always something more I want to do, or something different. Got one with wood furniture? Well, must have one with a skeleton stock and poly guards. I paid $450 for one recently from Atlantic. Don't regret it given the curent conditions. Just going to take me a little longer to acquire all the parts needed, but I have already landed the Bulgy FSB, Zig Zag Brake, gas tube, guards, and PG.

Time is the enemy right now. Just don't seem to have any.

• Like 1

But truthfully P2, dont sweat it, or second guess money.  Unless you were truly careless and deprived your family of necessities (which I doubt you were), it was money well spent.

This rifle should outlast you and your great great great grandchildren, 2k is nothing for reliable rifle.  There are deals out there, but you pay for what you want, how you want it.  As long as you are proficient with that rifle and it is reliable for you, money is no object.

Of course if you get buyers remorse or feel no further need for certain accessories, you can always sell them and buy something else you do want.

Nice rifle.