You can use your factory 8rd mag, 922r is only applicable to a firearm that is not in sporting configuration such as high-cap mag, pistol grip, muzzle break, etc....

A stock saiga rifle is in sporting configuration and composed of all Russian made parts and is not in violation of 922.

• Like 1

Also if you don't convert and want to use the Russian mag you would be just fine. And I think the easiest thing to do if you don't want to convert would be change out the hammer.

But what you should do is convert and then change the whole FCG and have a better rifle all around.

Question if your gun is convertered and you depend on us magazines for your parts count does hawing your russian mag make you in violation.

A gun that is not in sporting configuration and has more than 10 foreign made parts is not compliant.

Yea I figured that. Another question. Does anyone know of a court or can find a court case where someone was convicted of violating 922R?

The consensus is that 922 was a law for importers and manufacturers. I don't think anyone has ever been charged with a 922 violation, the law pertains to the manufacture, not possession as I understand it, so if you buy a rifle at a gun show that someone else built, you haven't done anything wrong, however, to me the grey area is the magazine. If you put a magazine in a gun did you just manufacture a non-compliant weapon?

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

Also if you don't convert and want to use the Russian mag you would be just fine. And I think the easiest thing to do if you don't want to convert would be change out the hammer.

But what you should do is convert and then change the whole FCG and have a better rifle all around.

Edited by 922r compliant

I am definitely going to do a full conversion, its at the top of the list for this rifle.

If you add the military type parts to the gun, then technically you have created a gun which would not be able to be imported. So yes, 922 applies. But if you buy one already done, then 922 does not apply as you didn't create a military type weapon. Also, inserting a mag does not create an illegal weapon. Nobody on any forum I have read has ever been charged with a 922 violation. The law was created to allow companies like Arsenal, & Century to import sporting, or hunting type weapons, & transform them to military looking weapons. GARY

Edited by N4KVE

Ok. Here is my understanding of it. If you are using magazines as 3 compliance parts being us made, having the original russian mag is still ok as it isnt considered ' constructive possession'. That changes if you load the mag or actually intend to use it with the rifle. The bigger question is, why would you not want to make the rifle compliant to run whatever mag you want? Hell, i just wanted a thumbhole stock and the more ergonomic feel of the way the rifle was supposed to be so i converted it using us parts. Regardless of whether i want a usa 25 round mag in it or a 8 round saiga mag, im covered. its easy, rifle shoots and handles better, and it doesnt open up any 'what if' doors further down the line.

^by the way, a magazine over ten rounds does count as a military characteristic. By inserting it you have 'created' it and modified the original configuration. Same thing goes if you undo two screws and swap buttstocks. Or switch handguards.

Yea I figured that. Another question. Does anyone know of a court or can find a court case where someone was convicted of violating 922R?

The consensus is that 922 was a law for importers and manufacturers. I don't think anyone has ever been charged with a 922 violation, the law pertains to the manufacture, not possession as I understand it, so if you buy a rifle at a gun show that someone else built, you haven't done anything wrong, however, to me the grey area is the magazine. If you put a magazine in a gun did you just manufacture a non-compliant weapon?

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

No you do not play a lawyer on TV, you play a prosecutor on this forum site.

The music is too loud and distracting. As someone could end up in rape you in the ass prison for violation of 922r, you might consider doing away with the stupid ass music.

LMAO, good one

I have found that there are tons of hypocrites on this site. They claim they are not lawyers but insist I follow their legal advice, LMAO.

Who is insisting you follow ANY advice on this forum. Look up and read the law yourself, KGB, LMAO.

The law was created to allow companies like Arsenal, & Century to import sporting, or hunting type weapons, & transform them to military looking weapons.

Uh, no. It was created to prevent them from importing military type weapons, period. It was successful for a short time, until the foreign manufacturers got geared up to produce "sporting" versions of their military style weapons, and also until the US parts manufacturing industry started making compliance parts. It was pretty much a total failure in the long term.