What is your worst fear during a SHTF situation?

Idk if anyone saw the water car thread i posted but holy hell... Ultimate shtf vehicle. If anything happened ill drive away literally towards the bahamas or a nearby island. only downside is 200k car.

Worth more to me than a lambo in a shtf crisis though.

Anyways, one part is people dont want to give up what they have and end up trying to ride it out at home. I always pack light live light.

Getting too attached to things could possibly make you hesitate when it counts.

Idk... I know alot of people who would die on their land or property before abandoning it. Generations of hard work seen go up in smoke. Last thing anyone would want but what are you going to do when the enemy squad rolls in.

I really wish you could find stronger jammers. I was banking on being able to cut off communications in hopes of fighting small groups and escaping before back up would be called in.

A buddy of mine had a tunnel dug from his basement almost a quarter mile out into some forest area out in the country where he lives. That is crazy and took him about a good year to complete that escape tunnel. When it rains heavy thats an issue though bc sometimes water collects a lot in there. Hidden behind his washing machine. No one would be the wiser.

I want to build something like that but when you live in the city lol forget it.

Here's another question for you guys. Where would you escape too and why? some people have private bunkers or land to hide in but, do you really think youd be safe there for long? Atleast long enough to outlast a war? Chemical weapons, radiation even. Not trying to sound outlandish here but depleted uranium and all that stuff leaves aftermath effects that are still issues even today.

Would you try and leave the country? research suggests many people to try and flee to the borders and leave. What happens when canada or even mexico close off their borders?

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No toilet paper....

Tin Foil Hat story time.   Look at the bigger picture. Why do you think they want to really ban or limit any firearm? The US dollar is slowly being replaced as the worlds reserve currency which mean

my biggest fear ... my old lady survives

Posted Images

If jamming were easy the radio would have been relegated to the dust bin long ago.

If you are dealing with .gov the resources and expertise required would be far beyond any real hope of success.

If it's some hunger driven mob with guns then you still have to know the particulars of how they communicated.

Might get lucky and find them using a CB but lets not depend on luck. If its by cell phone, possible, while the frequencies are known there are a crap load of them and its digital so same bag as .gov.

If visual can you pop smoke without revealing yourself? That also is a type of jamming. Here you have some chance of success not sure how it could be exploited dependably.

If audible the perhaps a pair of Fender Amps playing Jimi would be disruptive, of course a hidden mic might be better...

As for escape... to where? Realize how many people are going to be mobile and desperate?

No easy solutions are there.

Nice little easy to understand basic reference to this issue is:

"Holding Your Ground" - Jim Nobody

No panacea but it gets the old noodle thinking logically.

Ok Mega, you can what if yourself to death here. Radiation, chemical warefare and such. These are worse then just your typical SHTF. If you get into a chemical warfare environment your only option is to leave. Hell, if you have a really nice bunker system your not going to outlast radiation. NBC is a nightmare scenario. Nightmare. During the first gulf war we spent the majority of our time in mop level 3, and 4. Screw that. First hint of a nbc attack and my wife and I will be living in the deepest darkest place canada can offer.

I've made a few home made smoke grenades haha. I wouldnt want to use them in fear of giving away position. maybe if they were inside the house already.

Ok Mega, you can what if yourself to death here. Radiation, chemical warefare and such. These are worse then just your typical SHTF. If you get into a chemical warfare environment your only option is to leave. Hell, if you have a really nice bunker system your not going to outlast radiation. NBC is a nightmare scenario. Nightmare. During the first gulf war we spent the majority of our time in mop level 3, and 4. Screw that. First hint of a nbc attack and my wife and I will be living in the deepest darkest place canada can offer.

I have family in canada and would like to do the same thing.

However isnt it common during wartime for countries to close off borders?

Megamanx

Prepare for what you can and don't sweat the rest -- we all gotta die sometime. Worrying about everything (NBC sits, squads attacking, sasquatch peeking in your window...) will only deplete what joy this life has to offer.

• Like 2

Megamanx

Prepare for what you can and don't sweat the rest -- we all gotta die sometime. Worrying about everything (NBC sits, squads attacking, sasquatch peeking in your window...) will only deplete what joy this life has to offer.

I agree completely but its always nice to know what your guys' thoughts are.

"What is your worst fear during a SHTF situation?"

Not being there for my 6 year old son. I split time with the ex wife 50/50 so I worry that he will be in her care, as opposed to mine, when it happens. While I am not the most prepared person out there, I think I got her beat and will be his best chance for survival.

No Internet is also a big problem for me. I use the Internet to research anything and everything I become interested in. I get my news, entertainment, and much more from the Internet. I rarely read books anymore so becoming disconnected from all that information will be disastrous. Some of the responses thus far had me thinking about creating a small reference library of the most important things a person trying to survive the Apocalypse might need. Most might not be useful in bug-out mode because of bulk and weight but still worth having if I can stay put for an extended period of time or reading up in the interim.

Anyone care to recommend some specific reference materials for field medicine, drug identification, combat tactics, survival type skills, etc that I might want to acquire for doomsday?

That I will run out of meds and my heart will go into afib. I'll have no way to convert back to a normal rhythm, which will make me stroke out and turn into a useless pile of flesh

Stock at least six months of any "mortality" prescription you require.

If more even better.

90 day scripts are a good way to start.

That water car is cool, but unfortunately, it'll put a crosshair on your head by others that want it and aren't willing to pay $200k for it. Bullets are cheaper. Still very cool. That goes for any gear. Being "large and in charge" with your $3,000 AR and your plate carrier and whatever else you've got will make you a target. Sad but true.

I'm glad there's private pilots with planes and on-property runways in my family. The downside is the planes require strips, unlike helicopters. They're also likely to get attention, and can only carry a few people at a time. Still, when everyone else is engaged with gridlock on the major highways, a plane is a nice option.

Not sure if you're familar with her but there's an RN on youtube that has a lot of helpful survival tips. She's called PatriotNurse.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePatriotNurse

How would you even rate human interaction anymore. Would you think every person is out there for them self so you have to treat them as hostile off the bat?

Would you turn a blind eye to helpless people and those in need so you or you group could possibly have supplies or hopefully live another day.

That I will run out of meds and my heart will go into afib. I'll have no way to convert back to a normal rhythm, which will make me stroke out and turn into a useless pile of flesh

Save the last round for me.........

How would you even rate human interaction anymore. Would you think every person is out there for them self so you have to treat them as hostile off the bat?

Would you turn a blind eye to helpless people and those in need so you or you group could possibly have supplies or hopefully live another day.

That is the question that will determine your fate -- see everyone as "enemy" and you may live a long life but you may as well be dead for all the quality that it would contain. However, if one views others as partners or helpers and contributes to others one may not live a long time (SHTF sit) but I would bet the life you live would be 1000% more fulfilling...

• Like 1

Being "large and in charge" with your $3,000 AR and your plate carrier and whatever else you've got will make you a target.

Maybe if you are strutting around town like Lone Wolf McQuade. If you lay low and hit and run, regardless of weapon platform and pricetag, you might stay alive awhile. I would definitely be wearing my plate carrier with armor and plates nonetheless.

• Like 1

Man no body here has any recommended reading materials for shtf smile.png

Go here https://www.fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm3-05-70.pdf and read. Go here and get one,

http://juggernaut-graphics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=11&zenid=viirig4lik3he43arnko4nb642

Practice, practice, practice

Edited by Dad2142Dad

Tooth infection no way to treat it? Ever seen castaway? Also could you talk to your dr find out the antibiotics with the longest shelf life and see if they would prescribe you them to stock pile?

Go to a pet store. Get fish phlox. I believe they are cipro and amoxicillian, and no scrip necessary.

For SHTF medicine, check out Dr. Bones and Nurse Amy on the Doom and Bloom podcast. They also have a few books out. There are several books on surviving, James Rawles is a noted contributor to this theme. Also, a defense contractor named Joe Nobody has written a couple of books (Holding Your Own), and The Homeschooled Shootist. Google is your friend here. Mainly you need a plan to get out of dodge (g.o.o.d.) to a less populated area if you can. Study the Balkan wars and the problems Argentina had (guess Argentina had huge deficits, started printing more and more money..you know, stuff that couldn't happen HERE). My personal feelings are about a 6 month unrest period. Critical meds would be available here and there, but I would stockpile none the less. The guy with Afib, have you had your thyroid checked out? For reverse T-3 as well, something most Drs arent in the habit of testing for. There is a simple cure for ulcers, but Drs called the Austrailian Dr who figured out a quack for 20 years, but now you take a H-pylori test and take 2 weeks of antibiotics and your duodenal ulcer is gone...goes to show they don't always have the right info, especially on thyroids..lol..

don't worry, we'll split up your gear, and before we leave, we'll duct tape a drool cup on your chin haha.gif

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 1