What is your worst fear during a SHTF situation?

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No toilet paper....

Tin Foil Hat story time.   Look at the bigger picture. Why do you think they want to really ban or limit any firearm? The US dollar is slowly being replaced as the worlds reserve currency which mean

my biggest fear ... my old lady survives

Posted Images

Having to leave my "compound" or not being able to get back here. Things will be fairly easy (relatively speaking) as long as I can stay put. Luckily, I don't see any reasonable scenario where that would be a problem.

The things I can't see...maintaining sanitary living conditions. All the guns and butter in the world won't do a damn bit of good if gangrene sets in from a small scrape. That and ice. Not to keep things cold but just to put in a glass with a drink. It is a luxury that is often overlooked.

The things I can't see...maintaining sanitary living conditions. All the guns and butter in the world won't do a damn bit of good if gangrene sets in from a small scrape. That and ice. Not to keep things cold but just to put in a glass with a drink. It is a luxury that is often overlooked.

Keeping the makings of things to treat wounds like " Sugardine", Betadine and plain old sugar, in particular deep punctures *hint*.

Water, wounds, and waste could kill more than bullets.

• Like 1

In the bunker, we have 400 gallons of bleach, part to wash the walls every so often, some for laundry, and some for well/water decon.

Also have a decoy bunker set up with food and some ammo/crappy guns for the gov/raiders to find, and hopefully they move on.

All vents and openings fully camoflaged and checked for thermal signatures. Vents are fully filtered for NBC.

Even have traps in the entrance tunnels that will stop a SWAT team cold. And no gunfire or explosives needed unless they send the robocop in.

And with 24 pallets of food, I have 20 pallets of TP.

The only vulnerable area is power, grid tied solar and wind that run to the decoy bunker battery system, but also have a tie in to the main bunker. If the turbine or panels are destroyed we'd have 5 days of light/ventilation before we run out. We do have spares, but if there's hostiles, we got trouble.

Worst fear is getting to the bunker without getting nuked, arrested or killed.

The big thing is KEEP A LOW PROFILE!

• Like 1

I would love to have a bunker but i maintain the train of thought that if the environment is messed up for more than 6mo-1yr its pretty much game over unless you can leave to get to a better locale. However i am building my basement up to be bunker-esque lol. And i would like to get off grid solar just to be able to run fridge/ freezer/ some power tools etc, and install a hand water pump on our well to pressurize the house plumbing so we can still use sinks/toilets/cold shower etc.

In the bunker, we have 400 gallons of bleach, part to wash the walls every so often, some for laundry, and some for well/water decon.

Also have a decoy bunker set up with food and some ammo/crappy guns for the gov/raiders to find, and hopefully they move on.

All vents and openings fully camoflaged and checked for thermal signatures. Vents are fully filtered for NBC.

Even have traps in the entrance tunnels that will stop a SWAT team cold. And no gunfire or explosives needed unless they send the robocop in.

And with 24 pallets of food, I have 20 pallets of TP.

The only vulnerable area is power, grid tied solar and wind that run to the decoy bunker battery system, but also have a tie in to the main bunker. If the turbine or panels are destroyed we'd have 5 days of light/ventilation before we run out. We do have spares, but if there's hostiles, we got trouble.

Worst fear is getting to the bunker without getting nuked, arrested or killed.

The big thing is KEEP A LOW PROFILE!

Says the fellow who just advertised the key points of his survival plan...

• Like 3

I'm afraid I'm not likely to have the resources and skills to survive, if a truly massive fuckup of the society-destroying variety were to occur.

I can't afford to purchase the equipment and chemicals needed for water filtration and storage for more than a few weeks.

I have enough water to cover hydration needs, and cooking needs, for about 3 weeks - this includes a lot of water being used to cook rice, which is the majority of my food stockpile, as it's inexpensive. I have a small amount of canned food, but not nearly enough if I'm supporting others...

Sure, plenty of firearms and ammunition - but I'm probably not going to need those for anything during any realistic SHTF sort of situation. We're looking at a devastating tornado, or a flood, in all likelihood. Fortunately, I'm on pretty high ground so my home would probably not be affected by a flood. My weapons are in the basement, all four walls are cinder block - so they are less likely to be carried off in a tornado than in some places, but still, the second floor could be torn away and everything in that room flown away by the winds.

My true, biggest fear - losing my loved ones.

The need for non existant medical help ,more people would die from pneumonia and bronchitits or running out of their presicrtion drugs than anything else!

Some kinds of antibiotics can be stored for years. I have azithromycin, doxycycline and amoxicillin in my personal medical kit. Whenever I get sick enough to see a doc, and antibiotics are prescribed, I give it a few days to take care of itself before taking any antibiotics. If it goes away on its own, I store the meds. I started doing this just because overprescription is what causes bacteria to evolve and produce strains that are resistant to medication. If my immune system can fight it off, I should let it.

I have lot of antibiotic ointment packets in my kit. Any time I see a doc, or go to the ER, or accompany someone to a doctor or ER, I ask the medical personnel for a few packets of bacitracin. I usually have at least one minor cut or scrape somewhere from fucking around with gun parts or other sharp shit - they're usually pretty cool about giving away a buck or two worth of antibiotic ointment. I have a pretty decent first aid/trauma kit. Lots of bandages, two slings and a shoulder immobilizer, tons of alcohol prep pads, several ace bandages, quikclot, gloves (both latex and nitrile), bandaids, heat/cold pack, triangular bandages, medical tape, burn cream, shears, nasopharyngeal airway, tourniquets, finger splints, splinter removers, butterfly bandages, even a box of tampons.

Unless you have turrets, a determined attacker will eventually find your air vents. Once they find them, your coming out sooner or later. A super high tech bunker can easily be defeated with a few sheets of duct tape. Sad but true.

Try guessing where they are.

You'd have an easier time finding the main tunnel and the trap that awaits.

Unless you have turrets, a determined attacker will eventually find your air vents. Once they find them, your coming out sooner or later. A super high tech bunker can easily be defeated with a few sheets of duct tape. Sad but true.

Surprisingly the key to defending a fixed fortification is intel and mobility which seems to go counter to common sense.

Knowing more about the situation and ground than the potential threat and the ability to strike first if warranted.

Its an old formula.

hell, if it got as bad as some of these scenarios sound I think I would just rather be dead.

Having died and come back five times I can say for certain I am going to live as far as it depends on me.

Unless you have sound proofed your intakes and exhausts any sounds your making down in your bunker will be heard at these two points. Im not saying you don't have a great bunker system, but air vents will always be the Achilles heel.

So forget that shit!

Going high-tech?

Pressurize that sucker, do a ton of digging and set yourself up with geothermal power, and invest in C02 scrubbers.

I bet your vents can be found in the wintertime up there.

lions, tigers, and bears oh my. seems like flying monkey crap was a bigger danger.

during hurricane season / now I grab some extra water, easy to fix non perishable food, dog food for the pets, batteries, and try to keep the car gassed up (and booze).

don't have a bunker or big long term plans for a biblical disaster like the rivers turning to blood or it raining frogs. while I'm in no big hurry to die at 60 in shitty health I'm not figuring on a high survival rate for a long term problem, that's pie in the sky for more people than know.

my fear is I'll die without getting a chance to fuck over some people that so richly deserve it, damn you karma if I can't get them you better.

oh I did move my money to a money market fund instead of stocks a while back I was ahead of the curve on Ben's little talk the other day.

• Like 1