What is your worst fear during a SHTF situation?

My biggest fear will be dying alone for standing up while so many run and hide. Wars aren't won by fuckin hiding, some of us are gonna have to pay the price of freedom.

One should never fear being a Patriot. A coward, on the other hand, will run.

Fight smarter not harder. Unless you plan on being a martyr. A dead patriot can do no more. You have to know when to fight and when to withdraw. Pick your battles. Blind patriotism is just that. Blind. Your most potent weapon will always be your mind. I have no love for the coward. I have seen men who I thought were incredibly weak willed do some amazing things. And I have seen men who I thought were far braver then me falter.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No toilet paper....

Tin Foil Hat story time.   Look at the bigger picture. Why do you think they want to really ban or limit any firearm? The US dollar is slowly being replaced as the worlds reserve currency which mean

my biggest fear ... my old lady survives

Posted Images

Having to exchange fire without hearing protection would suck. Just a .22 without hearing protection isn't pleasant.

I learned to shoot with no hearing protection. If your outdoors in the woods it makes no difference and the sound dissipates quickly. Its when your in an area that has buildings or your in a building or covered area that makes its unbearable and really harmful, I do use ear protection when I am @ the range due to its a covered shooting area made out of tin so its got a good reverberation.

My biggest fear will be dying alone for standing up while so many run and hide. Wars aren't won by fuckin hiding, some of us are gonna have to pay the price of freedom.

Fight smarter not harder. Unless you plan on being a martyr. A dead patriot can do no more. You have to know when to fight and when to withdraw. Pick your battles. Blind patriotism is just that. Blind. Your most potent weapon will always be your mind. I have no love for the coward. I have seen men who I thought were incredibly weak willed do some amazing things. And I have seen men who I thought were far braver then me falter.

Being a martyr implies willingly dying and welcoming death for a belief, no fight involved. A Patriot will fight to defend his beliefs knowing that the result could be death. Huge difference.

Being a martyr implies willingly dying and welcoming death for a belief, no fight involved. A Patriot will fight to defend his beliefs knowing that the result could be death. Huge difference.

I dont know where your getting the whole "no fight involved". Dying for a belief seems to imply some sort of conflict. How many patriots have martyr'd themselves for they're beliefs? Probably many. At this point we could probably go back and fourth and in the end probably either come to a consensus or just agree to disagree. Also I'm not sure how many Martyrs welcome death rather they see it as an end to a means. I can think of quite a few Patriots in U.S. history who ended up as Martyrs. Nathan Hale, Crispus Attucks. Hell, the men who fought and died at the Alamo are undoubtedly patriots and Martyrs who fought, died, and inspired fellow Texans.

Again, my bottom line is fight smarter, not harder. Use your brain to back up your brawn and pick your battles.

Federal or State government going door to door taking guns and food. Have I already answered this thread? Forgot. The natural SHTF I think I have a handle on. It is that 4 am no knock smash-the-door no warrant stuff that scares me. No defense. Scary. The most thing I fear is my own government and I am a law abiding citizen who has done nothing wrong, legal or illegal. Sad. HB of CJ (old coot) sad.pngsad.pngsad.png Our local Sheriff and S.O. ARE the good guys.

I can deal with eating soilent green. I can deal with No TP. I've served in a war zone, and been so hard up I've jerked off in porta johns in 120+ heat... I'm not proud, and I know what mankind is capable of.

I'm not looking forward to trying to patch my own sucking chest wound(or yours for that matter), and I'm not looking forward to running down to the last round I fire.

It has my name on it.

Federal or State government going door to door taking guns and food. Have I already answered this thread? Forgot. The natural SHTF I think I have a handle on. It is that 4 am no knock smash-the-door no warrant stuff that scares me. No defense. Scary. The most thing I fear is my own government and I am a law abiding citizen who has done nothing wrong, legal or illegal. Sad. HB of CJ (old coot) sad.pngsad.pngsad.png Our local Sheriff and S.O. ARE the good guys.

there are defenses you can do against this.

Expect around 11 people during odd hours. Plan accordingly.

Invasion? What are you guys smoking? It will be civil war, martial law, societal and economic upheaval that hits this country, not a foreign power landing on our shores. I can envision a time when those in the resistance would welcome intervention by, oh I don't know, say by the Russians, with open arms.

It's already in place. The camps are built, the ammo is being stockpiled, the civil authorities are acquiring armored vehicles,automatic weapons, etc., and desensitizing themselves and the public to the blatant illegal activities they commit against us on a daily basis.

Let the inner city unwashed find out their EBT cards are worthless and there you have the spark, and all the excuse they will need to step in and restore order. Then all bets are off, and the door to door searches and the weapons confiscations will begin with all who resist being shot or sent to the FEMA camps.

Shit will get interesting then people. As for me, I will take what I can and bug out to the boonies. Hopefully find some like minded individuals.... we shall see....

This is what's gonna happen. Not sure what the cause will be. But it will start with some tragedy and civil unrest.

I will always have one bullet saved for myself before they take me in to the camp.

Having to exchange fire without hearing protection would suck. Just a .22 without hearing protection isn't pleasant.

WHAAAT? haha.gif

You know, that loud bangy sound hurts!!! I hate it when my cuticle's are rough when I pull the trigger in a firefight -- now THAT hurts!!!!

• Like 1

I'm doing 25 & 40 watt GMRS.. getting like 18 miles with it.. Also got a duplexer setup I am testing. 1 25w Mot GM300 for RX and 40w Mot SM50 for TX with 2 channel options for RX and PL codes.

Running 2 KW 805D's (user programmable from the front) and 3 GP350 (4w) 16 channel units..

Should be good when I can get the antenna higher up..

Granted GMRS will be clogged.. but where I will be, their will be NOTHING.. Lol

I think meds would be good to have and WATER that is not f'd up.

Wow, what a great topic. I'm glad I checked in on the forums today!

I guess it depends on which scenario...

Worst fear during a SHTF scenario: no water. Where I live, we have all the farmland one could ever need, but without water (which is already scarce) I'm dead in a few days. I have a water-bob ready to be filled, iodine and charcoal... but the raw resource is a problem.

EMP: once citizens deplete the water towers then I'm left going to old windmills filling water jugs.

In the past year, I've stockpiled ammo, learned to still water and alcohol (antiseptic, bartering, ect.) and have 3 months food set aside. I've also learned about local vegetation and what's edible/medicinal. I have geocaches with ammo, food, and water set up to my seclusion spot in case I have to march on foot. I also have a network of likeminded individuals here; some farmers, some LEO, some just good old-fashioned preppers.

My bigger fear is that my girlfriend would be dead-weight. She's out of shape, and I'm sure that in the zombie apocalypse she'd be a liability. But she knows how to sew and can, so I'll keep her around until she gets bit. Then, it's off with her head.

In the bunker, we have 400 gallons of bleach, part to wash the walls every so often, some for laundry, and some for well/water decon.

Also have a decoy bunker set up with food and some ammo/crappy guns for the gov/raiders to find, and hopefully they move on.

All vents and openings fully camoflaged and checked for thermal signatures. Vents are fully filtered for NBC.

Even have traps in the entrance tunnels that will stop a SWAT team cold. And no gunfire or explosives needed unless they send the robocop in.

And with 24 pallets of food, I have 20 pallets of TP.

The only vulnerable area is power, grid tied solar and wind that run to the decoy bunker battery system, but also have a tie in to the main bunker. If the turbine or panels are destroyed we'd have 5 days of light/ventilation before we run out. We do have spares, but if there's hostiles, we got trouble.

Worst fear is getting to the bunker without getting nuked, arrested or killed.

The big thing is KEEP A LOW PROFILE!

MY HERO!

Edited by slippingaway

That was another point I was going to eventually bring up. Dead weight. from gear to guns to people etc.

What are you going to do when you have a 3-5 person group family or heck even larger how are you possibly going to protect these people.

People everyday are trapped in prisons of their own design, doing whatever is told to them because they want that assurance of tomorrow. When they dont have that all hell breaks loose.

So we need our own assurance and our own plans.

I think in favor of all SHTF scenarios war on U.S. soil, Civil War. or government collapse/ martial law are most likely to happen.

So lets move the topic to the next part. Protecting your family or groups of people. How to deal with them and how to protect them. Skills needed to be learned etc.

• Like 1

The sad tale is that many will not make it, those who choose not to participate in their own self preservation training (before hand) do a terrible disservice to themselves and those who love them, many will die soon, others will have to be let go...hard fuken choices.

• Like 1

Talk to other Katrina survivors. Martial law sucks. Protecting your own is harder then you think. And thats without the government trying to disarm you. And no not once did the government try to take any of our weapons. Two battalions of MP's were brought in from a local guard unit to help restore order.

First thing to do in most any shtf situation is stay calm and develop a plan of action, yes?

I have a pregnant wife I am definitely not bugging out in hour or less and do not really see that as a need for what I envision for shtf.

it will take a few days at least before all the unprepared are fucked.

First thing to do in most any shtf situation is stay calm and develop a plan of action, yes?

The time to think about what you will do is before it happens. You sit down and think "What if X happens?" Then you come up with a plan for X. After that you move onto Y, and so on. Maybe you keep notes, never a bad thing, or maybe you just keep it in your head. This way if/when something does happen you don't have to spend as much time figuring out what to do. It is doubtful that the plans you came up with before hand will exactly fit whatever emergency does happen, but it is likely to be close to one of them.

Hell, you're plans may consist of "ride it out at home" or "Get the hell out of Dodge". Either way there are probably a few things you've decided on - if riding it out at home maybe you call a few friends then head to the store to grab some extra supplies, if its get out of Dodge you may grab a couple of pre-packed bags and then hit the store on the way out of town and spend the 10 minutes you've allowed yourself in the store.

You're wife is pregnant, you either plan to or already have a bag ready for when she says "The baby is coming" so you can grab it and head to the hospital. Or maybe you're planning a home birth and you have to grab the tote with supplies and call the midwife.

Honestly, it's a lot easier to check things off a list then it is to try to come up with that list when you're under pressure.

There are plenty of ways to filter water. Some are expensive, some are cheap. Most filter media will take out particulate, some will filter bacteria some will filter chemicals and one has actually been tested to remove viruses. There are chemicals you can add from bleach to iodine that will kill viruses, so often it's a good idea to use a chemical and a physical filter. I have a few different water filters and purifiers - Berkey gravity ceramic for the house, Katadyn Pocket for travel, USP iodine crystals to make my own solution, Potable Aqua and Mircopur tablets (tablets are expensive), bleach, and even plain old drip coffee filters.

Here's a pretty good comparison of most of the filters and purifying methods out there. It allows you to compare the different brands, their claims, their capacity and how much per gallon:

http://www.consult4prep.com/downloads/water_filter.pdf

It also has some basic tips and includes using bleach, and using pool shock to make your own bleach, from the same TPUB I mentioned in an earlier post. It has links to CDC and EPA docs on water filtration. I wish I'd found it before LOL... I have to print out some of it for reference :)

• Like 1

Potassium permachlorate can be found at lowes in the water filter aisle, one little crystal can clean a gallon of water. Mixed with sugar in a 1pt potassium 2pts sugar ratio, it can start fires in a jiffy.

• Like 3

Yeah, I know. They will be the first to go. it sucks. it is what it is. The man to be feared the most, is the man with absolutely nothing to lose. That does remind me of the story on how to identify cowboys where they came from though. Okalhoma, red dirt on the boots, Colorado, sheep fur in the zipper.

The time to think about what you will do is before it happens. You sit down and think "What if X happens?" Then you come up with a plan for X. After that you move onto Y, and so on. Maybe you keep notes, never a bad thing, or maybe you just keep it in your head. This way if/when something does happen you don't have to spend as much time figuring out what to do. It is doubtful that the plans you came up with before hand will exactly fit whatever emergency does happen, but it is likely to be close to one of them.

Hell, you're plans may consist of "ride it out at home" or "Get the hell out of Dodge". Either way there are probably a few things you've decided on - if riding it out at home maybe you call a few friends then head to the store to grab some extra supplies, if its get out of Dodge you may grab a couple of pre-packed bags and then hit the store on the way out of town and spend the 10 minutes you've allowed yourself in the store.

You're wife is pregnant, you either plan to or already have a bag ready for when she says "The baby is coming" so you can grab it and head to the hospital. Or maybe you're planning a home birth and you have to grab the tote with supplies and call the midwife.

Honestly, it's a lot easier to check things off a list then it is to try to come up with that list when you're under pressure.

true and it is definitely a ride it out at home if at all possible if not, already got a route and spot for getting out if need be. already good on water for at least a few months, food maybe 1 month working on that now. I figure if it is beyond this then I need not go back to my dwelling since the cities would be death zones.

she is only 4 weeks right now but that does not lessen the need for education and preparation.