What is your worst fear during a SHTF situation?

That I will run out of meds and my heart will go into afib. I'll have no way to convert back to a normal rhythm, which will make me stroke out and turn into a useless pile of flesh

don't worry, we'll split up your gear, and before we leave, we'll duct tape a drool cup on your chin haha.gif

WOW...man that is just fucked up on soooo many levels, you really should be ashamed of your self., that's a fellow human being you're talking about.

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA haha.gifhaha.gifhaha.gifhaha.gif

• Like 1
  • Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No toilet paper....

Tin Foil Hat story time.   Look at the bigger picture. Why do you think they want to really ban or limit any firearm? The US dollar is slowly being replaced as the worlds reserve currency which mean

my biggest fear ... my old lady survives

Posted Images

Man no body here has any recommended reading materials for shtf :)

I guess I will have to go to the library or something. Hopefully I didn't forget the dewey decimal system and shit.

Try the S.A.S survival manual. Also the foxfire series of books. Thatll get ya started. :)

That I will run out of meds and my heart will go into afib. I'll have no way to convert back to a normal rhythm, which will make me stroke out and turn into a useless pile of flesh

don't worry, we'll split up your gear, and before we leave, we'll duct tape a drool cup on your chin haha.gif

hahahahahahaha

Well MegaMan,

My greatest fear is that my daughters, step son and their families couldn't get here before the doors to our underground bunker closed and the time lock was engaged. We have tunneled down to 500 feet and excavated too much rock to talk about, to insure we can survive. it was hard to bring all the hardened steel and assemble it during the night, we just told the neighbors that we where building a new freezer for the beef. I have figured that we have room for about 10,000 souls, but for some reason, the seeds we keep planting won't grow down there and I'm tired of holding a flashlight on them, it just burns up batteries. The elevator that takes you down, well, we're also having problems with the brakes, it only seems to stop at the bottom. I haven't rode it down yet, but we have some neighbors that want to. My best idea is to enlarge the elevator and tell the entire hood about the bunker, maybe it'll stop better, if it doesn't, I'll just stay up here and take care of business on my own, at least I'll be ride of all the scum sucking, free loading assholes that want a free fide and then I can install a pipe to pump out the solent green to sell to the government for making cookies. A win win. :) :)

Dad2142Dad, sirosisofliver, and LuPiN8oR,

Appreciate the recommendations. I find stuff on Amazon but I think all the reviews are lies so I am afraid to spend my hard earned money and find out they are crap or give bad advice. When the weather cools down in AZ for fall I want to try and do some survival scenario stuff up North so I need to get some kind of idea and skills first! I only have one friend who might do this with me so I am probably on my own for practice but that is OK. I would prefer to learn to rely on my skills first.

Appreciate the recommendations. I find stuff on Amazon but I think all the reviews are lies so I am afraid to spend my hard earned money and find out they are crap or give bad advice. When the weather cools down in AZ for fall I want to try and do some survival scenario stuff up North so I need to get some kind of idea and skills first! I only have one friend who might do this with me so I am probably on my own for practice but that is OK. I would prefer to learn to rely on my skills first.

We teach classes like that up here in Montana if you're interested. The coolest one gives you everything you need. If you make a ball shape with your two hands, that's the size of the pack that you are issued. :) Other classes are good for basic stuff like food, water, shelter and first aid. Might be a class near you as well. Research the instructors and business to make sure you aren't being fed a bunch of shit from a mall ninja. Look for a few canopies!

• Like 1

Well MegaMan,

My greatest fear is that my daughters, step son and their families couldn't get here before the doors to our underground bunker closed and the time lock was engaged. We have tunneled down to 500 feet and excavated too much rock to talk about, to insure we can survive. it was hard to bring all the hardened steel and assemble it during the night, we just told the neighbors that we where building a new freezer for the beef. I have figured that we have room for about 10,000 souls, but for some reason, the seeds we keep planting won't grow down there and I'm tired of holding a flashlight on them, it just burns up batteries. The elevator that takes you down, well, we're also having problems with the brakes, it only seems to stop at the bottom. I haven't rode it down yet, but we have some neighbors that want to. My best idea is to enlarge the elevator and tell the entire hood about the bunker, maybe it'll stop better, if it doesn't, I'll just stay up here and take care of business on my own, at least I'll be ride of all the scum sucking, free loading assholes that want a free fide and then I can install a pipe to pump out the solent green to sell to the government for making cookies. A win win. smile.pngsmile.png

Look into aquaponics. I heard great things.

My biggest fear would be shutting the door to my bunker only to find that mega has dug an adjacent bunker and keeps tapping out what if scenarios on the walls of his bunker in morse code.

haha.gif . . . . .haha.gif. . . . .haha.gif. . . . .haha.gif (Couldn't agree with you more!)

With that attitude I assume you are just ready for anything right?

I bet a lot of people wonder these questions but never voice them

So maybe it is actually an interesting read for some (Funny for others) and obviously gets a lot of responses and brains going.

Anyways the whole point is to at least have some idea of what to possibly do if the urge to run around like a chicken with its head cut off doesn't over take you in any of these crisis scenarios.

So maybe it is actually an interesting read for some (Funny for others) and obviously gets a lot of responses and brains going.

Anyways the whole point is to at least have some idea of what to possibly do if the urge to run around like a chicken with its head cut off doesn't over take you in any of these crisis scenarios.

http://www.wikihow.com/Douche-for-Feminine-Hygiene

• Like 1

I bet a lot of people wonder these questions but never voice them.

So make yourself a plan. Do your research so that if it goes south, you can only blame yourself. I have a plan. It got me through Katrina, and with some tweaks it will get me though what lies ahead.

Also, only a fool would say he ready for everything. But worrying yourself over cataclysmic what ifs will only drive you crazy. Like I said, you have been given a plethora of information to research. The rest is up to you.

We teach classes like that up here in Montana if you're interested. The coolest one gives you everything you need. If you make a ball shape with your two hands, that's the size of the pack that you are issued. smile.png Other classes are good for basic stuff like food, water, shelter and first aid. Might be a class near you as well. Research the instructors and business to make sure you aren't being fed a bunch of shit from a mall ninja. Look for a few canopies!

That definitely sounds like it is right up my alley on things I want to do. Do you have any links or other information I could look into it? Money and time away from work will always be the biggest challenges.

I have been trying to learn and get ideas as much for free as I can by watching you tube videos and browsing the Internet. I have started storing some food and water. I have all my backpacking gear and camping gear which I think will come in handy. I am pretty good on guns and ammo too :) I did have to sell my bug-out vehicle recently so I am kinda screwed there. So what I really think my biggest priority now is to actually go out for 3 or 4 days and just try to survive with as little as possible. Learn what I really need and what is just dead weight. Practice making a fire, catching critters with traps, evasion, tracking, and all that stuff. Oh and I need to get back in some kind of shape. A zombie would be chomping on my brains cause I would be winded after a few hundred feet :)

Dont worry Hopkins, we'll leave you with a full pack of depends. That way you dont run out, just in case. ..haha.gifnaaaa.gif

• Like 1

Depends are helpful on soo many levels. If it gets really bad. Cannibal might be the best option. My neighbor is the other, other white meat.

You have got to be kidding Me. "My neighbor is the other white meat"? If you took a look at my neighbor it would put you off your food!

How about Cats ,they taste like chicken.

Depends are helpful on soo many levels. If it gets really bad. Cannibal might be the best option. My neighbor is the other, other white meat.

You have got to be kidding Me. "My neighbor is the other white meat"? If you took a look at my neighbor it would put you off your food!

Several neighbors here I would eat in heartbeat greedy.gif

• Like 2

I'll agree that the US Army Survival manual and the SAS one are great, I own several copies of the pocket version of the SAS one. The US Airforce survival manual is good as well.

Check out Dare To Prepare by Holly Deyo - 8.5 x 11 inch format and about 2 inches thick, it isn't cheap at about $50 but there is a lot of good info in there and a list for everything. You can view the table of contents online. This is a great book to start out with if you plan on getting into preparing.

The Internet Archive and Project Gutenberg are two sites to check out for free books, most are copyright free and many date from the 1800s and early 1900s. I grabbed over 12 gigs of books on various subjects but really like the camping books. You can find Nessmuk (George W. Sears), Horace Kephart and a few others.

Some of the old books are best since they were written in a time with a lot less technology, something you might have to deal with.

Samuel Thayer's books The Forager's Harvest and Nature's Garden are two books on wild edibles that are very good and well worth the money. He lists some other books that are also good.

For basic information check out Waterford Press, they have a number of pamphlets I've bought on various wilderness subjects. All are waterproof, some are really tough and will take a lot of abuse.

For snares and traps check out Bruce Hemming www.snare-trap-survive.com for books and videos. Bruce is a character but he really knows his stuff.

• Like 1

For SHTF medicine, check out Dr. Bones and Nurse Amy on the Doom and Bloom podcast. They also have a few books out. There are several books on surviving, James Rawles is a noted contributor to this theme. Also, a defense contractor named Joe Nobody has written a couple of books (Holding Your Own), and The Homeschooled Shootist. Google is your friend here. Mainly you need a plan to get out of dodge (g.o.o.d.) to a less populated area if you can. Study the Balkan wars and the problems Argentina had (guess Argentina had huge deficits, started printing more and more money..you know, stuff that couldn't happen HERE). My personal feelings are about a 6 month unrest period. Critical meds would be available here and there, but I would stockpile none the less. The guy with Afib, have you had your thyroid checked out? For reverse T-3 as well, something most Drs arent in the habit of testing for. There is a simple cure for ulcers, but Drs called the Austrailian Dr who figured out a quack for 20 years, but now you take a H-pylori test and take 2 weeks of antibiotics and your duodenal ulcer is gone...goes to show they don't always have the right info, especially on thyroids..lol..

True on the ulcer! But clairethromicin and the other drug m-something are now starting to loose effectiveness. However capsacin (hot pepper) also kills H. pylori, as well as bizumuth (pepto). I got diagnosed with GERD and was on prylosec. It kept comming back every 6 months. Since I started eating a lot more cayanne pepper, I haven't had much problem. Last attack I treated with 1 hot meal a day for 2 weeks, and then once a week for a while after, and haven't had problems in better than a year.

On my vents,

They don't show on my tuneable NASA surplus imager. They're buried behind 4 feet of loose rock with a southern exposure that heats the rock. It doesn't show up even with the clothes dryer running. Even better, this spring I noticed lots of garter snakes that have set up shop in the rock crevices for winter. So if it does show somehow and they dig.....they'll get every snake in the county slithering out! Now if we only had rattlers around here to give another line of defense. The vents will steam naturally after rain or snow and clear off fast in the sun.

Currently, I'm working on a decoy "bug out" plan for them to find. That should draw them off and get them chasing their tails in the middle of a bog in northern WI. The waypoints are real and a few of those points near the end will have food and other supplies, and the rest will have garbage as if I've been there. That should keep them busy for a month or two!

Have you been in the bath salts, again??amazing.gif

haha.gifhaha.gif

My daughter lives about 900 miles away, not being able to link up with her is probably my worst fear. The rest of my family (mother, sisters, nieces and nephews) are about 2500 miles away, but if I had to choose my daughter wins. The rest of my family can take care of themselves and I'd get to them sooner or later.

Beyond that I'm in good shape, not where I'd want to be but better than 99% of the people. I've got food, ammo, seeds and more camping gear than I know what to do with... and camping gear works just fine for an "OH CRAP!" situation. I don't live in town and I have friends scattered across North America with room for me if it is needed.

I'm not worried about EMP. I keep my electronics in ammo cans, aka Faraday cages. Not to mention that recent studies show that most modern vehicles would actually survive an EMP, but I have some old vehicles that won't be affected. If I remember correctly it was an article by Duncan Long quite a few years ago that got people thinking about EMP. A few years back he posted an update correcting his earlier article in regards to modern vehicles and the effects of EMP on them. I've seen other information that agrees with his 2nd article. Either way, with newer and older vehicles I'm covered on both fronts. Plus we all have bicycles and I have some trailers that hook up to the bikes.

Antibiotics aren't that hard or expensive. Storage life according a US Military commissioned study showed that pill forms basically are safe for 10+ years beyond the 1 or 2 year expiration dates and after that they start to lose potency slowly. Liquids are another matter. Any of the cyclines (doxi, tetra, etc) turn toxic fairly quickly after their expiration dates.

Drug expiration dates (links to studies, etc) http://forum.survivalistssite.com/index.php?topic=2048.0

http://www.doomandbloom.net has an article on fish antibiotics that are the same as human antibiotics - same dosage, USP (means meets FDA standards for human use ie purity), same pill markings. Double check the pill markings on www.drugs.com and prove it to yourself. Humans can use some pig meds too. Stay away from others like cat, dog, horse, etc.

http://www.aquaticpharmacy.com/eshop has a lot of the most common antibiotics for your aquarium usage (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more) at reasonable prices.

Your basic antibiotic list:

Amoxicillin 250mg AND 500mg (FISH-MOX, FISH-MOX FORTE)

Ciprofloxacin 250mg and 500mg(FISH-FLOX, FISH-FLOX FORTE)

Cephalexin 250mg and 500mg (FISH-FLEX, FISH-FLEX FORTE)

Metronidazole 250mg (FISH-ZOLE)

Doxycycline 100mg (BIRD-BIOTIC) ***** DOES GO TOXIC after expiration date *****

Ampicillin 250mg and 500mg (FISH-CILLIN, FISH-CILLIN FORTE)

Sulfamethoxazole 400mg/Trimethoprin 80mg (BIRD-SULFA)

Clindamycin 150 mg

Azithromycin 250mg

Get a Physicians Desk Reference for the drug dosages, what they are used for, etc. Or do some internet research. I know one person that Azithromycin doesn't work on so he gets Augmentin (aka Amox/Clav) so there is generally more than one drug that will cover a given issue.

And as was already mentioned there are plenty of herbal cures out there.

I have some bleach, but even better I have pool shock that can be used to allow me to make thousands of gallons of bleach as I need it. Bleach has a short shelf life, as short as 6 months once opened. Crystal pool shock will keep for ever in a dry container, far longer than liquid bleach and it weighs a lot less too smile.png

makes me happy that i got my deuce. emp proof and will run on damn near anything.

Giggady!

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Having to resort to cannibalism would make me pukey. bad_smile.gif

mehh, people taste like pork. some damn good people bacon. mmmmmmmm

Porky or Bacony???

post-23857-0-10781100-1372813815.jpg

Edited by Yeoldetool

Capt Nemo, if it is the U.S. Military is involved, you may be screwed. My buddy is a Retired AC-130U Gunship Sensor Operator who does the actual targeting and firing. He has been doing the same job on contract aircraft in Columbia doing Drug Interdiction missions supporting the Columbian Military and now recently missions in Afghanistan. The technology is wicked, Cocaine labs in the heat of the Amazon buried deep in the ground could not hide from this equipment. Same goes for the Dirkas hiding in caves in the Stan. Heat has to go somewhere.