Saiga 308 good long range rifle?

Power Class 3-12x44 mm , this one seems to be decent, but something leads me to believe that that is not a very durable optic.

Nikon Prostaff 3-9X40 Rifle Scope, This optic is really good for that rifle, I had one for 4 years of not being treated so nice and basically being a truck gun, thrown around, bumped around and had zero issues with it. I gave it to my brother and he still has it and uses it for the same purpose. Its only $169 too. Not much of a steep price. maybe wait a week and pick up that extra $70 bucks to get it instead of the power class scope.

Thanks for all the input.

Originally ordered this:

3200 3-9x40 Riflescope

After ordering it, I was told out of stock and have a friend comning in from CA who is going to help me mount and zero in and such, so I wanted To get something sooner, call the company, which is called: Optics Planet, and a very knowledgeable and nice guy help me to find a scope reasonably priced also, in stock, and recommended this, and I ordered this:
Brris Xtreme Tactical 1 Inch Riflescope

Mounts, low-profile, because my picatinny rail is this one:

I also ordered from them to Burris 1" extra high profile mounts. And since that is going to be mounted on top of the rifle-the dust cover plus the rail, I felt it was high already, requiring an extra high mount with 1 inch of clearance.

Here is the rail that is going on top of the rifle:

http://texasweaponsystems.com/id1.html

Also put this bipod on:

UTG Tactical OP Bipod - Tactical/Sniper Profile Adjustable Height

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The bipod is mounted on this:

UTG Universal Single-Rail Barrel Mount with 2 Picatinny Slots

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001WJ4DGA/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Once my buddy gets here and we get to Calverton range which is a long-range, range, I will let you guys know what happens.

Thank you again

Edited by AShotInTheDark

My S308 groups about 3MOA once the barrel is hot.Shooting cold it will make a tight group. Otherwise it groups like an AK.

Not sure what you mean: Sort of accurate? Is that right?

No I mean sub 3MOA which is going to limit it to man sized targets at about 500 yards. Which is a longer shot than I'm capable of anyway.

Izhmash use to post on their website that the rifle was capable of 5 shot groups of 40mm at 100m. If so that would stretch the range out to man sized targets at 880 yards, taking full advantage of the .308 cartridge. I agree that mine will make that kind of group cold, but the 22" gets some whip after it is heated.

I recall another report that was posted which claimed 60mm 5 shot groups at 100m. I think that is more realistic of what the rifle is consistently capable of. And that would get back to man sized targets at 500 meters.

I don't hunt but I would think you would need at least a 6 inch shot placement to kill the prey and not have it run off wounded and die in the bushes two days later. That would put your hunting range out to about 300 meters with the S.308. And consequently the Saiga .308 is sold as a hunting rifle and the sight leaf is only marked to 300 meters.

• 2 weeks later...

How long is the barrel? and yes you can clean up that trigger.

Mil-Dot or XTR?

Are you speaking to me?

If so:

My barrel is 16".

The trigger was fixed already without conversion which is illegal in NY.

Originally ordered this:

3200 3-9x40 Riflescope

After ordering it, I was told out of stock and have a friend comning in from CA who is going to help me mount and zero in and such, so I wanted To get something sooner, call the company, which is called: Optics Planet, and a very knowledgeable and nice guy help me to find a scope reasonably priced also, in stock, and recommended this, and I ordered this:

Burris Xtreme Tactical 1 Inch Riflescope

I also ordered from them to Burris 1" mounts. And since that is going to be mounted on top of the rifle-the dust cover plus the rail, I felt it was high already, requiring a low profile mount.

Once my buddy gets here and we get to Calverton range which is a long-range, range, I will let you guys know what happens.

Thank you again

Update: I had to get the extra high Burris mounts to clear the Texas Weapons rail with the Burris scope.

The low mounts were not high enough.

Also put this bipod on:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035L35A8/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All mounted and zeroed in.

Will try take and upload a photo

Edited by AShotInTheDark

Ive seen many an M1 Garand shoot just under 4MOA with ,mil ammo.

Better ammo does tighten the groups but 2-3MOA at best with aperture sights( Garand sights are simply the best).

Any MBR that shoots 4MOA with a range of 300yds is acceptable.

Better means going to something with tighter specs and more finicky attitude.

• 2 weeks later...

Originally ordered this:

3200 3-9x40 Riflescope

Brris Xtreme Tactical 1 Inch Riflescope

I also ordered from them to Burris 1" extra high profile mounts. And since that is going to be mounted on top of the rifle-the dust cover plus the rail, I felt it was high already, requiring an extra high mount with 1 inch of clearance.

Also put this bipod on:

Sounds too heavy to be humping around for any period of time unless you are used to it.

please keep the ethical range inside of 200yd, mine shoots about 4-5moa with s&b cheap milsurp.

at 100 yds is still minute of deer,

the last thing you want is a 500 yard shot, shooting a deer in the butt, being unable to track it,

and some anti hunting libtard finding it, posting it up on youtube saying how cruel hunters are

and causing more anti hunting problems for you.

For general hunting, I am in the camp that states you would want a scalpel, not really a hammer.

Edited by 3rdgeargrndrr
  • 2 weeks later...

Better ammo does tighten the groups but 2-3MOA at best with aperture sights( Garand sights are simply the best).

I like the Garands

They are SOOOO expensive

I like the Garands

They are SOOOO expensive

The ammo aint cheap either.

Does the Civilian Marksmanship Program still operate?

If so there is your path.

Im not crazy about M1 thumb or top loaders but hey it worked for GIs.

M1 thumb is John C.'s way of telling you that you're doing it wrong!

Also put this bipod on:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035L35A8/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Let us know if you get any POI shift when using the bipod. Saiga barrels are pretty thick, but I would think it might change the impacts a bit. I used a shorter version of that bipod on my .308 Saiga, but I stripped the rail adapter and mounted it to the receiver. Which is not to say that it will increase accuracy, but I haven't noticed any detriment to it compared to sand bags. Of course, accuracy was never my rifle's strong suit anyway.

I have heard a number of comments from people saying the 16" is more accurate than the 21". this seems a bit counter intuitive to me unless there is some harmonics issue with the longer barrel. Could some of you comment on this for me? I am looking to purchase my first Saiga .308 soon and am still in the "gathering as much info as possible" phase. any other pertinent info would be much appreciated as well!

Edited by Majorgrizz

I managed a couple of MOA 3 shot groups with a newly purchased unconverted 16" 308 today. It was done using a Trijicon 3-9x40 with the BAC reticle mounted on an MI side rail with Warne rings. I had it benched on a lead sled - this was the first time I ever used one and it still takes a fair amount of concentration to keep everything consistent. My worst groups opened up to about 2" and this was using German MILSURP ammo. I'm pretty content with it as it is smile.png and have it sighted 2" high at 100 yards.

Edited by Paleofit
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I haven't been here for a while but I own my saigas since the beginning. Benchrested my 308win saiga with the 16" barrel with iron sights at 100 yards using surplus south African 308 ball ammo and she prints 1 1/2" groups with me and my son shooting it. I have a saiga in 308win with a 22" barrel with the kalinka Russian side rail scopemount. I purchased the Bushnell banner scope that has the BDC option from 100yds out to 450yds with no error. With the BDC bullet drop compisation we just dope the scope the distance on the top turret. I never shot this saiga yet. My question is I know the 16" barreled saiga will shoot accurately out to 500yds. Maybe farther. Now I wonder where the 16" barrel falls off accuracy wise(distance) and then how much farther will the 22" barrel shoot before it drops off accuracy wise?

No conversion or trigger work but I did apply Moly n all my trigger sears.

I use nothing but the Bushnell scopes with the BDC option on all my rifles. Thell shoot out to 450/500yes with no error.

Edited by Unknown Poster
  • 5 years later...

I am new to this forum and I know this thread is OLD! BUT, as far as good long range rifle? I disagree with a few on this subject...

I shoot at least twice a week and we have a range with steel at 650 yards 12" gong, 1,000 yards & 1,400 yards 12"x20" silhouette. The only long range rifle I own is my Saiga .308, with conversion & Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40 Mil-Dot scope. At 1,000 yards I can consistently hit 6-7 out of 10 shots. At 650 yards at a 12" gong about the same. At 1,400 yards I will usually shoot about 20 rounds each outing and can roughly hit it about 50% of the time.

So, YES they can be accurate long range rifles. $2,500 Remington 700? No, but it is much more impressive when you out shoot your friends that have $2500+ purpose built long range rifles with your Saiga!!

• 2 months later...

Ive asked this for decades here at what distance does the accuracy of the 308/16” barrel drop off? And how far will the 21” barrel shoot accurately? I have no place to shoot long distance.

my 16” saigas at 100yds, no scope using surplus South African 308 ammo will print 1 1/2” five shot groups all day.

Edited by Unknown Poster