Jamming issues with a Saiga 7.62 x 39

Jamming issues with a Saiga 7.62 x 39

I shot my new Saiga 7.62×39 today for the first time. I used steel cased Wolf ammunition. Got off approximately 50 rounds. Minimally, approximately 1 out of 10 rounds jammed in the receiver.

I am hoping this is not a serious problem. Could it be just the cheap Wolf steel cased ammo? The gun needs breaking in?

I am not handy whatsoever, and cannot do any sort of gunsmith work on my own, at all BTW.

Is there any ammo in particular that would be less likely to jam, assuming for a moment it is the ammo that is causing the jamming issue?

Any input is appreciated-thank you

Check your mag(s) to see if the rounds are feeding properly. Remove the firing pin and hand-cycle the weapon. Make sure to yank the bolt all the way back, then let it fly forward. I had a bad mag that would let the rounds nose-dive and catch under the bullet guide.

Also, if you are using a Promag magazine, toss it and buy a surplus mag(or Tapco if that's all you can find). Every Promag I've ever had was renamed Projunk.

Check your mag(s) to see if the rounds are feeding properly. Remove the firing pin and hand-cycle the weapon. Make sure to yank the bolt all the way back, then let it fly forward. I had a bad mag that would let the rounds nose-dive and catch under the bullet guide.

Also, if you are using a Promag magazine, toss it and buy a surplus mag(or Tapco if that's all you can find). Every Promag I've ever had was renamed Projunk.

using a brand new factory mag

What has been done to the rifle, if anything?

Try a different mag first, if you have the bullet guide done. I have Tapcos that jam on the last round every time. I have promags that jam on random rounds, every time. I also have Tapcos and steel combloc mags that work flawlessly every time. Part of range trips is determining what equipment is safe to use when you need it.

A lot of questions, but they will help us help you troubleshoot.

EDIT: I just saw in your last thread that it is an unconverted sporter wood saiga with the saiga 10-rounder. If you bought it locally, I would see if the magazine can be exchanged. What size magazines can you own in NY? Can you convert the rear to a pistol grip + stock?

Edited by mostholycerebus

What has been done to the rifle, if anything?

Try a different mag first, if you have the bullet guide done. I have Tapcos that jam on the last round every time. I have promags that jam on random rounds, every time. I also have Tapcos and steel combloc mags that work flawlessly every time. Part of range trips is determining what equipment is safe to use when you need it.

A lot of questions, but they will help us help you troubleshoot.

EDIT: I just saw in your last thread that it is an unconverted sporter wood saiga with the saiga 10-rounder. If you bought it locally, I would see if the magazine can be exchanged. What size magazines can you own in NY? Can you convert the rear to a pistol grip + stock?

Thanks

The rifle is in factory condition and brand new.

I will try a dif mag soon as I have several on the way; they are factory mags so hopefully they should be OK.

In NY we can only have 10 round mags.

We also cannot convert.

Maybe it is the Wolf steel case hollow point I am using? Anyone else have jam issues with this ammo?

Is it the last round in the mag always? Factory 10 rounder?

No, happening sporadically

Yes factory 10 rounder

Edited by AShotInTheDark1

The saiga mags have a built in bullet guide nub. The Wolf HPs have such a small cutout that they may as well be regular bullets.

I suspect though, that it could be a combination of new gun + those minor issues. When the mags are new the built-in bullet guide is flat, after a few mags it gets beat down into tiny channels that direct the bullets better. Very slight channels that arent there yet, HPs with very small holes that may be hanging up very slightly, new chamber that may be just a very small bit tight yet, it all adds up.

These guns are made to eat anything, so shouldnt be the steel cased ammo. As mentioned above, try working through a few hundo rounds, and a different mag, and see if anything eases up.

Saw some pics, very nice looking rifle with the wood, dunno if I would wanna convert that even if I could.

Mine jammed a time or two in the first 200 rounds. Not uncommon. Like others said, change mags and put more rounds thru it. Should solve ur problem. If not, keep posting and let the folks here help you. This place is a goldmine of saiga information.

I dont believe its common for these rifle to jam..EVER. I never had one issue with my saiga rifle before and after conversion??? Should eat all steel case ammo hollow point or not. Maybe something is wrong with the mag. Please post pics of your mag loaded with the hollow points and standard FMJ if possible. Its possible the ammo or mag is out of spec.. that could be causing these issues.