I am having a problem with 2nd shot failure to fire.

My Saiga .223 has been modified to accept the MSA magazine well adapter.

This involved a LOT of slow, pains-taking grinding with a dremel.

I initially took it apart, plugged holes to prevent debris from getting places it should not etc.

I have carefully cleaned & oiled, verified the USGI 30 rnd mags seat correctly, checked bullet pickup into firing position.

First round fires normally.

2nd rnd chambers but the trigger is in the fired position - no tension, no firing travel.

Sliding the bolt pumps out the unfired cartridge, seats the new one and fires again normally.

I decided the cause might be something to do with the adapter or USGI magazines, so I removed them & tried again with the stock saiga magazine.

Same problem.

Obviously I did something wrong.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help.

IF it is picking up the round and chambering I can't see it being the adapter. Need to check the FCG and firing pin first.

What FCG are you using?

Did you check for a primer strike? (light primer strike maybe?)

Does the hammer spring tension feel right? (check to make sure spring is on right)

Does the bolt drag over the hammer? (friction over the hammer will sometime cause it to slow down and bolt not rotate fully and chamber.)

Take a pic of ur fcg. Like texas said i doubt its the adapter. Try taking your fcg out and check everything... then pull ur bolt apart and do the same. Did you trim the trigger contact points?

Sounds like disconnector problem - either you forgot the disconnector spring, or you have one of the defective Tapco G2 disconnectors.

Remove the BCG and depress the trigger to release the hammer. Keeping the trigger depressed, manually push the hammer back as far as it will go. Do not release the trigger. If the hammer does not latch into the disconnector, but instead simply returns forward when you release it, you found your problem.

• Like 1

First, thank you all for responding.

Some of these TLAs (three letter acronyms) are above my pay grade.

Quite frankly I am a newbie to much of this.

Let me start from the top here:

Fire Control Group is stock Saiga, no modification

There was no trigger release on the 2nd rnd so I do not believe the firing pin struck the primer (no, I have not checked for a mark but I will if you believe that is important)

I do not know about hammer spring tension

The bolt slides back normally, but when released slowly 'hangs up' short of the round being fully chambered (bolt drag over hammer?)

I notice the gas piston is rubbing as it enters the cylinder when the bolt slides forward.

Disconnector spring? No idea what or where that is.

I have never removed the trigger group or bolt hold open piece.

BCG? Don't know what that is, sorry.

All grinding was to the area near where Dinzag likes the bullet guides for Galils (I only know that from reading his site).

Edited by HammerNH

Hopefully. The trigger group should not need to be lubed to function, but the stock trigger group is bizarre. Who knows what could cause it to malfunction. Another reason to convert the rifle to normal trigger group configuration.

• Like 1

How do I upload pictures?

get an account on an PhotoBucket (or elsewhere) upload your photo on their site. they provide a the code that you copy & paste in your post. You get a few different sets of code, most folks select the IMG code to display your image within in their post as the S12 folks allow that, it's pretty straightforward.