While M.T. Kalashnikov, beloved LTG and famous creator of AK-47 and other families of Soviet and later Russian weapons, remains in intensive care (thankfully, prospects are positive; read more on this "newsreel"), some might not know about his soft and giving side.

I thought it would be proper to share it with respected Community, as well as to welcome additional information and opinions.

In a mean time, my thoughts, prayers and wishes of speedy recovery to LTG Kalashnikov and his Family.

000_dv602092.jpg

-----

Source: http://english.pravda.ru/business/companies/05-06-2013/124754-kalashnikov-0/#

Kalashnikov for free

05.06.2013 11:16

50257.jpeg

Weapons designer Mikhail Kalashnikov gave his name to the new joint company formed on the basis of "Izhmash" and "Izhmeh." Despite the fact that manufacturers were willing to offer Kalashnikov from one and a half to three million rubles for the use of his name as a brand name, Kalashnikov gave it for free.

"Mikhail Kalashnikov is a patriot, a true patriot. There was not a single word about some kind of payment," Interfax quoted Director General of JSC NPO Izhmash Konstantin Busygin, who made a statement last Friday at a press conference. Busygin also added that the documents were signed back in February.

It is assumed that the new concern, known as "Kalashnikov", will bring together largest enterprises of the Russian defense industry to manufacture a wide range of ammunition under a single brand. The merger should be completed within the next three months. Upon its completion, the company will receive the name "Concern "Kalashnikov."

Negotiations with the Kalashnikov family started last year. At the time the entity was entitled to use the name of the designer only for certain types of military products. Meanwhile, it seemed appropriate to substantially expand the range as it would be beneficial both for the plant and Mikhail Kalashnikov, because the company would provide him with a steady income through the sale of products manufactured under his name. At the very least, this was the goal declared by "Izhmash". Now, however, the concern seems to be pleased with Kalashnikov's patriotism that allowed the company to avoid paying him. It was noted earlier that the brand value of "Kalashnikov" was estimated at $10 billion.

Mikhail Kalashnikov is a unique individual. Seventeenth child from a peasant family, Kalashnikov is now 93, and is famous around the globe. Since 1999, he has had the rank of lieutenant-general. Upon arrival somewhere with a visit, he is greeted like a movie star. Meanwhile, Kalashnikov lives in an ordinary house with no elevator, very modestly, without frills. He is nearly deaf because of trauma developed in shooting galleries and ranges during countless tests of his inventions. Despite the incredible demand for Kalashnikov's inventions, his design activities did not make him wealthy. This is not because Mikhail Kalashnikov failed to take advantage of the opportunities available to him, but because he did not want to do it. In the same way he did not use the opportunity to capitalize on his name, instead giving it as a gift.

Izhevsk Machine-Building Plant (NPO "Izhmash") produces various types of military firearms, sporting and hunting guns, air guns, precision-guided artillery shells, control systems, as well as machines and high-quality tools. There are Kalashnikovs among its products, in particular, modernized Kalashnikov, AK-74M, AK-9, and "one-hundredth-series" Kalashnikovs.

Izhevsk Mechanical Plant (JSC "Izhmeh") is also engaged in production of weapons, both civilian and service ones. In addition, the plant produces power tools, packaging equipment, gas equipment, medical equipment and precise steel castings. However, the basis of its production is still military and hunting weapons. In particular, "Izhmeh" produces the most common hunting rifle in Russia - IZH-27.

In addition to these two major companies, it is assumed that Kalashnikov company will also include other large entities. In particular, Vyatsko-Polyansky plant "Molot", located in the Kirov region. This company also manufactures military and civilian arms, including Kalashnikov RPK light machine gun and Kalashnikov RPK-74machine gun.

Other enterprises of the defense industry are also expected to join the concern, but no official data is available at this time.

Anastasia Garina

Bigness

Read the original in Russian

• Like 1

(Google Translation from Russian; original source: http://ria.ru/society/20130626/945931856.html).

Mikhail Kalashnikov is recovering, said his assistant.

MOSCOW, June 26 - RIA Novosti. The health status of 93-year-old designer Mikhail Kalashnikov is improving every day, told RIA Novosti on Wednesday, his administrative assistant Sergei Nosachyov.

On Sunday, the plane MOE brought Kalashnikov from Izhevsk to Moscow for medical examination at the Central Military Clinical Hospital named Mandryka. Chief physician at the Defense Ministry Alexander Fisun said that the state of the constructor serious, but stable, but Nosachyov then pointed out that the state of the Kalashnikov has improved, he communicates with family and planning returning to work..

"Today I can say to you - health improves, the person is on an active life in the plan, read newspapers and magazines, is walking. Overall, on the mend," - said Nosachyov.

The interviewee noted that in Izhevsk has accumulated a lot of papers and letters to the Kalashnikov.

RIA Novosti http://ria.ru/society/20130626/945931856.html # ixzz2XLNk32lE

Edited by Sgt. Raven

UPDATES:

1) General Kalashnikov transferred from intensive care unit into regular hospital room, as his condition imroved.

(RUS: http://www.ntv.ru/novosti/627323/)

2) Creation of "Kalashnikov" conglomerate postponed until the end of July.

(RUS: http://ria.ru/defense_safety/20130703/947352092.html)

Designer Mikhail Kalashnikov became an honorary Cossack of Krasnodar Region (Russia).

(Translated with Bing Translate/Microsoft Translator from http://www.rg.ru/2013/07/06/reg-ufo/kalashnikov-anons.html).

Today at the annual reporting Assembly krasnodarskie služivye established a new title of "honorary Cossack Cossack district Ekaterinodarskogo of society." As the press service of the administration of the capital of the Kuban, the first time it was awarded unanimously the eminent designer of small arms in the Soviet Union and Russia Mikhail Kalshnikov.

-Honorary Cossacks may be citizens of Russia, regardless of sex or age, have made the largest contribution to the formation and development of our country's Cossacks, Cossack Ataman Ekaterinodarskogo district society Alexandru Paşcenco.

Candidates may propose primary organizations-staničnye and the farmhouse of Cossack society, are part of the Ekaterinodarskogo RKO. Their initiative was then examined and approved a specially constituted panel of nine of the most reputable of Cossacks-ekaterinodarcev. The next step is approval at the Council of atamans and universal open voting at the annual meeting of the district during the Cossack society.

The initiative taken in honor of Mikhail Timofeyevich Ekaterinodarskogo Cossacks RKO Kalashnikov has hutorskoe Cossack-society of St. George the victorious. According to Alexander paschenko, born of the great designer originates from the little Russian Cossacks, who in the 18th and 19th centuries settled in Kuban. A welcome alternative to Kalashnikovs lived in until the second half of the 1920 's. Mikhail Kalashnikov himself was born in Altai, he was the seventeenth child in a large family.

In response, in a letter addressed to the Ekaterinodarskomu RKO, Mikhail Kalashnikov said that always considered himself the Krasnodar Cossack, remained so at heart, so gratefully accepted an offer.

In a mean time, Lieutenant General Kalashnikov continues his recovery.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: Kalashnikov is planning to leave the hospital before end of July.

(Google translation of article in Russian posted here: http://top.rbc.ru/society/23/07/2013/867234.shtml)

Mikhail Kalashnikov: I'm in line, will soon be at work
1374583731_0567.250x200.jpeg

The legendary gun designer Mikhail Kalashnikov until the end of July will be released from the Central Military Hospital. P.V.Mandryka in Moscow, where he is undergoing rehabilitation. About RBC reported in the press service of the NGO "Izhmash".

According to the assistant armorer Sergei Nosacheva, all treatment and prevention, and rehabilitation activities are successful. Mikhail Kalashnikov feels good, cheerfully, his health is not threatened.

In a conversation with the designer is interested in the affairs of the referent in the "Izhmash" in particular preparations for the upcoming celebration of the Day of the gunsmith (September 19), which this year will take place in Izhevsk. Mikhail Kalashnikov forward to all the greetings and says: "I am in the ranks, soon I'll be at work."

Doctors also recommend a famous patient after discharge to devote some time sanatorium treatment. Probably Mikhail Kalashnikov follow their advice, and after the hospital will spend some time in one of the medical institutions suburbs.

Recall, June 23 Mikhail Kalashnikov felt ill and was taken to Emergency special plane from Izhevsk to Moscow. In the capital, 93-year-old designer was admitted to the hospital im.Mandryka.

M.Kalashnikova condition for several days was assessed as serious but stable. It was observed in the intensive care unit. However, Lieutenant General M.Kalashnikovu not require complex operational or other interventions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

No way! The MAN's B Day is today!!?? Wow cool!  <EDIT... His Birthday was actually yesterday but close enough.  smile.png  >

Happy Birthday to General Kalashnikov! I know just the best way to celebrate it too! Will be firing AT LEAST one 30 rd salute this afternoon in his honor, and to honor our own servicemen this Veteran's Day!

027.gif

022.gif

• Like 3

Kalashnikov hospitalized.

http://globalnews.ca/news/973008/man-who-designed-ak-47-mikhail-kalashnikov-hospitalized/

Russian officials say that the 94-year-old designer of the AK-47 assault rifle has been hospitalized. The health department of the province of Udmurtia said in Monday's statement carried by the Interfax news agency that Mikhail Kalashnikov is in an emergency unit.

“He was hospitalized in the Clinical Diagnostic Center. He is in intensive care,” said the minister on Monday.

Earlier reports citing the Udmurtian Health Ministry said that Kalashnikov was hospitalized on Sunday due to the deterioration of his condition. The 94-year-old weapons designer is receiving all necessary treatment.

Kalashnikov was born on November 10, 1919. He became known around the world thanks to the assault rifle he invented that is named after him.

Sending my thoughts and prayers.

P.S. And for a burst of positive, check grand opening of M.T.Kalashnikov's museum at his birthplace (use Google to translate from Russian):
Edited by Sgt. Raven

Wishing General Kalashnikov easy recovery and many more happy years ahead!

I found this article to be quite interesting, and think the excerpt below depicts General's character quite well:

His conscription into the Red Army came in 1938.  He rose to become a tank commander. Wounded during the Battle of Bryansk in October 1941, he heard soldiers complaining about Soviet weaponry and began his designs of various types of guns. From 1942 onwards Kalashnikov was assigned to the Central Scientific-developmental Firing Range for Rifle Firearms of the Chief Artillery Directorate of the Red Army.

His design of the AK-47 - for which his name is known around the world - came in 1947. 

'I am often asked, 'how do you sleep knowing how many people were killed from your machine gun? I always say back 'I sleep very well, thank you. It should be politicians that start wars that suffer from sleeping problems. My machine gun was made for defence. If it wasn't for war, I would have been doing machines to help agriculture - so it was Germans who forced me to invent it. 

'I don't keep a machine gun at home. As for the dummies I brought them all back to the motherland, to show at the museum. It was me testing the first machine gun personally. We didn't have targets then, so I had to shoot boxes with sand. I'm not shooting now, my hands and eyesight are not as good as they were. 

'I don't like to talk too much, I am about keeping my word. And decency is what I appreciate in people most of all. 

'My anti-ageing secret is simple - work. I get up at 6 am every day, spend an hour getting myself organised, and then I am ready to work. 

'What am I proud most of all? My motherland. Wherever I am I always want to get back to Russia. 

'People say I would have been a billionaire if I was to live elsewhere in the West. I don't like luxury. I am after a simple decent life.' 

http://siberiantimes.com/other/others/features/siberia-salutes-world-famous-gun-maker-mikhail-kalashnikov/

And update from his son:

His son Viktor said he was still in robust health despite a stay in hospital. 'Everything is normal, everything is all right and under control. Doctors are working and watching him close, everything is all right'.
  • 1 month later...

Inventor of AK-47 rifle Mikhail Kalashnikov dies at 94

Rest in Peace, Comrade General...

You'll be missed, but never forgotten.

Mikhail-Kalashnikov-in-20-009.jpg

http://rt.com/news/kalashnikov-dies-inventor-ak-47-887/

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/23/mikhail-kalashnikov

Edited by Sgt. Raven
  • Like 2