Side mount for Saiga 12

Searching on the forum, I found a couple threads about side mounts on rifles, but not so much for the shotties. I think I'm gonna try one out.

Any of you guys use one on your S12? It looks like the RS regulate, Kalinka BP-02, and the Kvar 04 are popular for the rifles. How are they

on a shotgun? Also, I've never handled a saiga rifle. Is the receiver more narrow than that of an S12? If so, does that make these mounts

sit a little funky on an S12?

After reading your other thread on the Chaos Titan, you and others may or may not like my recommendation, but I have used the UTG low profile mount on both my S-12 and 7.62 with no problems. The mount sits center line to the bore and holds zero with removal and reinstallation. I do not use it anymore because I have the Chaos Titan on my S12 and the TWS Dogleg on my 7.62, but I had no issues with the mount itself on either platform. With that said, I would not suspect that you would have any issues with the other mounts you listed between the shottie and rifle. The side mounts are the same dimmensions on both.

Look for something light and low. Also, I would suggest getting one with integral rings rather than weaver rail plus rings. That adds cost weight and height.

If you have the cash, the kalinka ones are nice, RS seems to be the cleanest. Also midwest industries or the KVAR "something or other 04"

I have a Pk01v sidemount from kalinka. its not bad but it doesn't have a stop for our side rails(easily fixed). It holds its zero perfectly after the stop is added on & can take the abuse. I wouldn't buy from Kalinka optics though, they have a f@cked up way of treating they're customers including me. They only gave me 4 out of the 6 screws needed for the mount

I recently purchased the RS regulate -AKML side mount. I also purchased a vortex sparc. I had hopes of using this on my M10 762 but the rail is mounted higher on the M10 762 than a standard AK so I just have been using it on my S12. (RS regulate is introducing a rail mount for the M10 very soon- AK-310. If I get one I will probably use the sparc with the M10 and just pick up a primary arms red dot for the S12.)

I really like the AKML it is very stream-lined and light. AKML's are being phased out for the more modular 300 system.

Seems to hold Zero...haven't ran slugs yet, just some low brass and high brass. (still working out my gas port issues)

I recently purchased the RS regulate -AKML side mount. I also purchased a vortex sparc. I had hopes of using this on my M10 762 but the rail is mounted higher on the M10 762 than a standard AK so I just have been using it on my S12. (RS regulate is introducing a rail mount for the M10 very soon- AK-310. If I get one I will probably use the sparc with the M10 and just pick up a primary arms red dot for the S12.)

I really like the AKML it is very stream-lined and light. AKML's are being phased out for the more modular 300 system.

Seems to hold Zero...haven't ran slugs yet, just some low brass and high brass. (still working out my gas port issues)

That is good info since I also have an M10 and noticed that the standard side mount sits higher on that. I was actually considering cutting the side mount in half and re-welding it back together at a lower height. Now I will just wait until RS comes out with that 310 mount.

On my S12, I have an el cheapo side rail with some minor modifications to make it hold up to the abuse. I milled off the extra rail material to save weight, replaced the roll pin with a hardened steel dowel pin, and tightened the screw to the point where it barely slides over the rail with the lever fully released. After the modifications, it holds up well.

The original roll pin did not have much engagement to the side rail. Not only did the roll pin get beat up, the rear corner of the side rail was starting to deform as well. The new dowel pin took care of that. I pressed the dowel pin so that it barely clears the rivet on the side rail for maximum engagement.

I originally had a UTG double rail side mount. It had engagement problems too and was getting beat up at the tip of the stop. However, it did not have enough material at the end to add a dowel pin.

Quick note: The PK-AS is relatively heavy. This puts an extra beating on the side mount.

post-43684-0-22025100-1372436935_thumb.jpg

Love the scope. Simmons prodiamond reticle shotgun scopewith smooth zoom from 1.5-5X 5" eye releif.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/uploads/gallery/gallery/album_1097/gallery_17871_1097_1988188.jpg

Gallery:http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/gallery/album/1097-sights-green-laser-scope/

Don't buy this Guntec USA mount.

Do any of these mounts allow you to field strip without removing the mount?

YOu can, but the ones with QD lever work well, so why not get it out of the way?

I started to lean toward the RS regulate one for $120 bucks even though its more pricey, then I found out you need an add-on depending on the optic for another $60. Yikes. 60 is a little pricey for that tiny picitanny piece.

I started to lean toward the RS regulate one for $120 bucks even though its more pricey, then I found out you need an add-on depending on the optic for another $60. Yikes. 60 is a little pricey for that tiny picitanny piece.

That is why I ordered the older gen AKML as I knew I could chose between an Aimpoint/Vortex Sparc/ Primary arms red dot. I was able to get free shipping with it as well. The newer 300 system is nice and modular but pricey.

After reading your other thread on the Chaos Titan, you and others may or may not like my recommendation, but I have used the UTG low profile mount on both my S-12 and 7.62 with no problems. The mount sits center line to the bore and holds zero with removal and reinstallation. I do not use it anymore because I have the Chaos Titan on my S12 and the TWS Dogleg on my 7.62, but I had no issues with the mount itself on either platform. With that said, I would not suspect that you would have any issues with the other mounts you listed between the shottie and rifle. The side mounts are the same dimmensions on both.

Yeah I've heard the UTG side mount isn't bad and holds a zero. They sell it at Carolina Shooter Supply, and they don't carry shitty stuff as far as I can tell, but I guess I have a bias against anything UTG due to all the bad vibes about them from the forum happy.png

I just went ahead and got the Midwest Industries AKSM on ebay. I would have preferred the RS Regulate setup, as it looks slick and more lightweight, but the price difference was a little too much for me to go for that one instead. I'm excited to try this thing! I'll post pics when it gets here.

Edited by Turbo.M777

This is what i use.

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-MNT973-Mount-Double-Rails/dp/B001BR4VQU

61KMc8BXgEL._SL1000_.jpg

2013-07-0110-30-40305_zps0f228aff.jpg?t=

With all the 12 gauge rounds i have fired since putting that on and this scope it has never EVER come loose and i also put a sling point on the side one and use a single point in 3 gun.

0425131331_zpsf108418b.jpg

DSCN0757_zps38486953.jpg

DSCN0641_zps77527d74.jpg

DSCN0642_zpse78ed52c.jpg

scope is a UTG SCP3-1424CDQ 1-4X24 4.5" long eye relief and i love it!

Edited by shifty_85

Those are some of the best looking to me. I keep speculating about whether it would be OK to cut out the middle two spokes of that mount for weight.

looking good man that thing is super low! with my UTG i can almost see the iron sights under it.

Thanks man! Yeah I didn't realize it would sit so low til I got it. It was a nice surprise how well it cooperates with the CSS iron sights

Those are some of the best looking to me. I keep speculating about whether it would be OK to cut out the middle two spokes of that mount for weight.

I kinda like the look of em! I couldnt see myself cutting them out. Seems like it might still function alright if you did though. The metals pretty thick and seems strong where it joins into the rail

On my S12, I have an el cheapo side rail with some minor modifications to make it hold up to the abuse. I milled off the extra rail material to save weight, replaced the roll pin with a hardened steel dowel pin, and tightened the screw to the point where it barely slides over the rail with the lever fully released. After the modifications, it holds up well.

The original roll pin did not have much engagement to the side rail. Not only did the roll pin get beat up, the rear corner of the side rail was starting to deform as well. The new dowel pin took care of that. I pressed the dowel pin so that it barely clears the rivet on the side rail for maximum engagement.

I originally had a UTG double rail side mount. It had engagement problems too and was getting beat up at the tip of the stop. However, it did not have enough material at the end to add a dowel pin.

Quick note: The PK-AS is relatively heavy. This puts an extra beating on the side mount.

I have the same one and I think its great. Its solid. I have a Bushnell red dot on it.

does it just mount with that one screw? thats the thing i love about my UTG it has 3 screws with lock washers on them. the mount it self has never EVER loosen up on me after quite a few rounds through it. i like the fact it sits up a little bit on the UTG

the OP's mount looks like it would be good to co-witness with the front sight.

i wouldnt think those 2 bars would cut down on the weight enough for the effort of cutting them out.

Not a screw. It has a self centering QD clamp, the way the Russian side rail system was designed.Most of them cam from the side, but MI uses the bottom. UTG set screw type lacks the self aligning property.

• 2 weeks later...

I have one of the UTG PRO side mounts. It was about $20 more than the non-US made version from UTG. The only UTG part I don't like is the green laser (~ $100). Thing can't take the recoil and keeps moving all over the place.

I have one of the UTG PRO side mounts. It was about $20 more than the non-US made version from UTG. The only UTG part I don't like is the green laser (~ $100). Thing can't take the recoil and keeps moving all over the place.

Is the UTG PRO lower than the regular UTG QD mount?