the cursed bipod thread

well you knew it was coming.. Dancing around with an idea in my head I'm just hesitant.

I always liked the Dragunov and this rifle was my compromise. what I want to do is get a bipod mounted somewhat similar to the way the Dragunov, now I realize the mounting system is completely different and that's not where I am going with this, but the location is what I want to achieve. ideally I was thinking that the bottom bolt near the front trunion where that weird spacer is would be an ideal mounting point, however finding any sort of rail attachment that could be used in this spot seems unlikely. any ideas?

as far as the bipod itself hell that's a pita decision, I like the atlas but dear lord its pricey.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, well I canned the idea of having the Bipod near the receiver. so we moved it toward the end. I wanted to use the same location for the sling swivel. which proved to be a tad challenging. the screw is an M5x0.5. which has hardly any options. so I made a washer to fit the Magpul Rail and still allows the stock screw to hold the gas block. then I had to drill and rout out a spot for the second screw, which I used the screw that came with the Magpul Picatany rail, had to go get a wood t-nut that fit that screw, but I needed to rout the stock inside the barrel channel so it would sit flush. lack of tools results in very slow and steady dremel work.

The end result:

2013-07-11%2018.52.40.jpg

The Bipod is a Caldwell AR Prone. not as nice as something like an Atlas but at 17% of the cost I think I can make it work.

2013-07-11%2019.04.03.jpg

• Like 1

well as you know I already have rubber inlaid in there as a temporary measure, I'm just not confident in myself to bed the stock just yet. and alternatively I am still curious as to how performance will act if it were truly free floated all the way as well. I am actually on my way to hit the range now, so we shall see what all these mods end up with. hell if the scores are good enough I might actually post them over at the snipers hide to give them what for. Gotta knock those AR's down a peg, lol.

Edit: well unforeseen circumstances postponed any target practice at my range. wound up doing maintenance to the area instead. next week hopefully.

Edited by Dracozny

went to the range, friggin hot today! to the point of after the first shot I had a mirage in my scope from the barrel. way too many factors going on

1. temperature
  2. added bipod
  3. scope remounted to allow the locking lever on the left side.
  4. my own bad judgement
  5. kids that were unhappy(got a playground out there but 4 yr old son was just not having it)

the result was after 40 rounds due to winging it on remounting the scope.... I managed to get a roughly 2 moa target. I didn't bother measuring it just approximated based on the rings.

I think that kind of accuracy is what the rifle is going to do, unless you spend extreme money on fancy gunsmithing to get less than 1 MOA. I am getting 2 MOA on average with mine, some days a little better, some days worse.

well the only other variable is consistency in factory loads. the bipod is definitely going to be a factor on its own. on the bags I was getting consistent tighter than 2 MOA with the 5 round groups the sub MOA group I suppose could have been a fluke, but again rate of fire and load consistency will always be a factor. I want to see where things will be on a cooler day with and without the bipod. and then later this year or next year I will start getting into custom loads, hopefully the costs of supplies will have become reasonable by then. fancy will be when I can get my custom stock made. (that will probably turn into a business if things go well)

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

So just how would I go about putting a bipod on my super vepr? 
I'm very new to this rifle and I don't want to scuff up the stock, or worse crack it. 
I tried taking the swivels from another rifle I have but it didn't work out well, was scared of stripping it. 
Any suggestions or links someone could post for swivels?

Here's the bipod and swivel that I pulled from my other rifle. ad57fc3278.jpg857b4383a0.jpg

So just how would I go about putting a bipod on my super vepr? 

Here are some stock inserts that you could put that sling swivel into.

http://www.brownells.                  com/shooting-accessories/slings-sling-swivels/sling-swivel-studs/stock-inserts-prod31938.aspx

I would be tempted to scrape out a 1/2"x1/8" channel or two down the inside of the stock and inlet a bar of aluminum. $2-4 from most hardware stores. Some epoxy + a few  short countersunk wood screws from the inside would tie that together, and make the forend more rigid Then take a dowel about the size of your barrel and tape 50 grit sandpaper on it, and chuck it up to a drill to hone out the forend. -- To give a free float clearance.