Adding a flash hider to a factory choke tube

I happen to have an S12 and an S410 factory choke tube here (homeless), and was thinking about machining down the OD and installing a flash hider on the front end of them. I have never had anyone ask me to do this before, but it would not be a big deal to do it. Any thoughts/interest in such a device?

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

I would love to have a sweet hider for my .410! What could you cook up and how much?

Here's one of Johnnymac's cool set screw hiders that I got welded to and indexing nut so I could use it on my threaded S-12

post-1293-1134920227_thumb.jpg

I would have to do the flash hider conversions on the customer's supplied choke tube, since I don't have a supply of them. The flash hider itself would run the normal $49 shipped, plus $10 to remachine the choke tube and permenatly attach the hider to it and refinish.

As a lot of you already know, my South Bend lathe will not cut Metric threads, so I can't make flash hiders that screw directly on the OEM threads. I could have a custom tap made, but they are not cheap and I have had very little interest in OEM adaptable flash hiders.

I would love to have a sweet hider for my .410! What could you cook up and how much?

Here's one of Johnnymac's cool set screw hiders that I got welded to and indexing nut so I could use it on my threaded S-12

Hey is there any way you could modify this brake to make it work if I send it to you? I know it would have to be milled out to a larger bore diameter but do you think you could do it? Then just cut the back off it and weld it to the .410 choke tube. Do you think it would be an issue with shot? I'm sure it would at least be cool with slugs.

post-1293-1134921389_thumb.jpg

Cobra, yeah I could put an AK74 type brake on a .410 choke tube, not a problem. I run .040" clearance on my flash hiders and have never had a strike and the Poly Choke runs a .045" clearence. So I am sure the AK74 brake could be opened to .490-.500 and be good to go. I don't know what the brakes cost, but they are probably cheaper then me manufacturing something from scratch.

I could also put one on a factory thread protector as well.

Tony - I don't think there would be a big demand for it only because it adds a lot of overall length.

If someone wants flash hiding and choking on the same gun, then the trick set-up would be to do the internal chokes with flash hider(s) welded or threaded on to the choke. If OAL was still a problem, then you could do what someone else mentioned on the board a while back, which was to weld the flash hider to the barrel to get the minimum 18", and have the internal choke tubes with an extended wrench.