Estate Sale - Need Help With Prices?

Hi Guys,

One of my best friends died last year of cancer.

His wife is now getting around to selling off his gun and knife collection.

I am not 100% sure of exactly what these things are, but I think I am in the ball park. (M1A, AR-15 and AK-47?)

My buddy was a U.S. Marine and he took impeccable care of these items. They are in excellent condition.

I am not really sure how to sell these things, but I first need some reasonable estimates of what they are worth. Maybe you can help?

If you think that you can recognize these weapons, please take a look at this webpage and get back to me in this thread.

Thanks!

Joel's Collection

Sorry to hear about Joel. You are correct. Top to bottom M1A, AR15, AK47 Variant. The AK looks like a Romanian. The AR (Colt?) You can do a search on Gunbroker.com for these weapons and get an idea what they are selling for.

Hey Tombstone.

I can help you w/ the M1A pricing. there are many factors that determine the value of one of those rifles, but the starting price should be around 900-1000 depending on the condition of the barrel. Since he was a Marine, the barrel should be pretty darn good. Marines take care of thier stuff. the number of actual USGI parts in the rifle will only take the value UP from there. do you know how to dissasemble it? you need to determine the maker of the bolt, op-rod, trigger group and barrel. The marks you are looking for are: TRW, HRA, TR-N, WRA, and a few others I cannot remember. judging by the look of the rifle, it's probably a USGI parts rifle, the low serial number gives it away...probably late 80's or early 90's issue from Springfield Armory. It's likely the rifle is worth around 1300-1500.

There is a forum dedicated to the M1A and M14 rifles. it is: www.m-14forum.com

they have a for sale section on their board, and I can Garuntee you will sell this rifle if the price is right. they can also help you ID EXACTLY what parts are in there, talk you thru the dissasembly procedure, parts ID, and condition rating of the rifle. M1A's are HIGHLY sought after for thier accuracy, power and reliability. you should be able to turn her around pretty quick for at least a 1000$

Sorry to hear of a Marine's passing, especialy a fellow shooter. He with his other fellow warriors now, and in a much better place. Good luck selling his gear to deserving fellow shooters who will take care of it.

Hey Tombstone.

I can help you w/ the M1A pricing. there are many factors that determine the value of one of those rifles, but the starting price should be around 900-1000 depending on the condition of the barrel. Since he was a Marine, the barrel should be pretty darn good. Marines take care of thier stuff. the number of actual USGI parts in the rifle will only take the value UP from there. do you know how to dissasemble it? you need to determine the maker of the bolt, op-rod, trigger group and barrel. The marks you are looking for are: TRW, HRA, TR-N, WRA, and a few others I cannot remember. judging by the look of the rifle, it's probably a USGI parts rifle, the low serial number gives it away...probably late 80's or early 90's issue from Springfield Armory. It's likely the rifle is worth around 1300-1500.

There is a forum dedicated to the M1A and M14 rifles. it is: www.m-14forum.com

they have a for sale section on their board, and I can Garuntee you will sell this rifle if the price is right. they can also help you ID EXACTLY what parts are in there, talk you thru the dissasembly procedure, parts ID, and condition rating of the rifle. M1A's are HIGHLY sought after for thier accuracy, power and reliability. you should be able to turn her around pretty quick for at least a 1000$

Sorry to hear of a Marine's passing, especialy a fellow shooter. He with his other fellow warriors now, and in a much better place. Good luck selling his gear to deserving fellow shooters who will take care of it.

Thanks Guys!

I have been surfing the web and the best that I can tell is the rifles are a Springfield M1A, a Colt Carbine A3 16" MT6731 and a Romanian AKM SAR2 (5.45X39).

Unfortunately, I will have to pick up these guns to give them a better look at the parts.

I can testify to the fact tham my buddy cherished and took good care of these rifles. They are spotless and clean enough to eat off of. The riflings look brand new and somehow he stored them in a condition where there there isn't even any oil residue on them.

They are definately cleaner than any rifles that I have ever seen! (New or used.)

I will get back with you when I get a hold of them again.

I am sure that Joel would want me to find a loving owner for his collection. All of these rifles have only been shot a few times and lovingly attended to.

Yes. It was very sad about Joel. Cancer ate him up and he never gave up even to his dying breath. I could see the Marine in his eyes. He wasn't going to go without a fight and he never quit.

you should buy them and keep them for yourself

that way they wont be split up and sent to god knows where

to be owned by god knows who

if he was your buddy then im sure he would be proud to know

that you took care of his 'family' for him while he was away on assignment from god

take care

mg

you should buy them and keep them for yourself

that way they wont be split up and sent to god knows where

to be owned by god knows who

if he was your buddy then im sure he would be proud to know

that you took care of his 'family' for him while he was away on assignment from god

take care

mg

Don't think that I haven't thought about that, but I am rough on my guns. I hunt in the swamp I usually take a dive in the mud at least once an outing.

I still might keep at least one of them. B)

Hey Tombstone.

Bravo 26,

The bolt has the numbers "7790186" and "TRW JZ" stamped on it.

I am trying to get the trigger assembly out, but I think I might not be able to read instructions? (It doesn't want to come out.) :haha:

Will these numbers help any?

Cool. The TRW parts are the most desirable. A TRW bolt alone will sell for 150$. Triggergroups go for 150$ as well, if you have an Op-rod with TWR stamp on it, that part is worth around 250$. A new TRW barrel can go for upwards of 300$

I would start the price at 1000$, then for every USGI major part group add 100-125$ It's not unreasonable to ask 1500$ for such a rifle if it has all TRW or Winchester parts. Wish I had the cash, man..I'd buy it off ya!

Hi Guys,

Fat Cat helped me break down the M1A and identify these rifles. (Assuming I wrote these notes correctly.)

What I have is a USGI Springfiled M1A with a SAK barrel, a Winchester Op-Rod, a Springfield Armory Trigger Group with a Winchester Hammer, a TRW Bolt and a Boyd Stock.

The Colt is a Match Target Carbine A2 with a 20" Barrel (Model MT6551).

The last Rifle is the Romanian AKM SAR-1.

I am still waiting for my friend that has a FFL to call me back. He might have taken a short trip, but it probably will make it easier to ship these items through him. If I don't hear from in a week or so I will post these onsome of the suggested links.

Thank you very much for your help!

Sincerely,

Chuck Manetta

Edited by Tombstone

Dang Chuck...that is a nice M1A specimen you have there...if you shop it around, you can get about 1350-1400 for it. If you wanna get rid of it quickly, price it at 1150 and it will grow wings and fly. good luck, wish I had the cash for it, I'd snap it up quick. :wub:

Bravo 26,

Thanks! I wish that I could afford to keep it too!

But alas, this is the end of the hunting season and I have already blown my wad. Now I just have to figure out the easiest was to legally sell it to the right person.

Actually, all of the rifles are nice! :rolleyes:

• Chatbox

Load More
    You don't have permission to chat.