Searched on "Herter's" and "Herters" in the 12ga forum........nothing. Looked at the 20-Round Drum docu and Herter's was not listed.

Soooooooooooooooo........has anyone shot this through their S12? It is exclusive to XXXXXX.

What caught my eye was obviously the price, weight, shot size, and FPS for some of these:

-Select Field Pheasant (per 250)

-Select Field Dove and Quail (per 250)

-Field and Target Loads (per 250)

-Select Field Super Spreader (per 250)

-Defense Shotshells (per 10)

Any input would be great.

-BP

Edited by burntpowder

i might be wrong but i don`t think your supposed to put up links to businesses that dont support

this site. you could get banned! what you did is basically give a free plug with an easy way to get to the site.

Thanks for the info. Main post edited. Just do a google search on the names and you will see who sells it.

I will be the guinea pig....just ordered a box of the "Select Field Pheasant" in #4 Shot.

Will post back how it goes.

-BP

Edited by burntpowder

I bought a ton of 7.62 a while back. Never had any issue with it. I will have to get the 12g next time I go there.

If you have their Visa card it is only $5 shipping with a members-only promo code.

My order which was:

- case of 12GA Select Field Pheasant #4 (250 Rounds)

- case of 20GA Select Field Pheasant #6 (250 Rounds)

- 5 boxes of 12GA 00 Buckshot (50 Rounds)

.........which comes out to about 55 pounds all shipped for $5 and arrived this morning (minus the 20GA which is backordered.....estimated to ship this month though).

I only live about a hour from one of their stores here in PA but I could not have gotten to and back on $5 worth of gas :-)

Interesting. I did not know that Herters was a brick and mortar store. I knew of them as a mostly defunct brand of reloading equipment. (with a higher than average complaints) Since cabelas usually is selling Herters ammo for cheap, I had thought that maybe cabelas bought out the brand to use as a house generic brand.

Interesting. I did not know that Herters was a brick and mortar store. I knew of them as a mostly defunct brand of reloading equipment. (with a higher than average complaints) Since cabelas usually is selling Herters ammo for cheap, I had thought that maybe cabelas bought out the brand to use as a house generic brand.

Here's the way I understand it.... Cabela's buys ammo in bulk from several different overseas manufacturers.

The shotgun shells are loaded in Italy, the 7.62x39 is Tula, and their brass is either S&B or PPU.

They just repackage or have a deal with the manufacturer to package it as "Herter's Brand".

If you're browsing Cabela's website, you can usually click on the Q&A tab and find that someone has asked who manufactured that particular round.

In what I received..........

The "Select Field Pheasant" #4 measure 2.284" (58.0136 mm) in length.

The "Select Defense" 00 Buckshot measure 2.407" (61.1378 mm) and do fit into my MD 20 Drum (just barely though but they do fit).

No test firing done yet. Will let you know when I get a chance.

-BP

post-47413-0-93905800-1373318747_thumb.jpg

Edited by burntpowder
  • 2 weeks later...

In what I received..........

The "Select Field Pheasant" #4 measure 2.284" (58.0136 mm) in length.

The "Select Defense" 00 Buckshot measure 2.407" (61.1378 mm) and do fit into my MD 20 Drum (just barely though but they do fit).

No test firing done yet. Will let you know when I get a chance.

-BP

I also picked up herters select pheasant #4 same as you pictured. I took some out today and ran it through a brand new unused pro mag 12 round drum. It ran flawless(in theory it should run fine through my MD 20). The cool thing is that it ran on the #2 setting of my dph 6 setting gas adjuster(plug) which will run my S&B 2 3/4 12 pellet 00buck loads that I keep loaded in my stick mags. So all mags are loaded and usable at any time with my current plug setting. Happy days. Too bad cabelas raised their prices already on this particular load. I dont see any problems at all with this ammo being junk or cheapo. Pretty decent looking high brass cases, but I do not reload so couldnt tell if plastic will hold up or not. Hope this helps out.

Done. I listed the UPC from the individual box. I noticed that the case carton had some different #'s. If it helps I also have these loaded into my MD 20. They loaded up without a hitch. I will test a box and then revise the info. Thanx for your help earlier on with my 12. It is now converted and flat out smokin. Anyone that gleans the good info found here should be thanking the pros and others for what they offer. Priceless!!!

• Like 1

I have not gotten a chance to fire my #4's out of my S12 yet but did in two other semi-auto 12's I have and these shells appear to be a real find. I just hope Cabela's does not keep raising the prices on them because they figure out what they are selling. And yeah I did see they went up $20 from the sale price we paid but IMO even at that price is it still a wonderful deal for 250 rounds of high-brass #4 (also have it in #5 if that is your flavor).

Once I shoot them in my S12 I will update the Ammo Table Guide for the "Select Defense" 00 Buckshot and #4 out of the MD20 (unless you beat me to running the #4 in your MD20 first) :-)

I do not understand the practicality of shooting buckshot out of a 20 round drum but I will do it for the sake of the guide!

-bp

Edited by burntpowder

I have not gotten a chance to fire my #4's out of my S12 yet but did in two other semi-auto 12's I have and these shells appear to be a real find. I just hope Cabela's does not keep raising the prices on them because they figure out what they are selling. And yeah I did see they went up $20 from the sale price we paid but IMO even at that price is it still a wonderful deal for 250 rounds of high-brass #4 (also have it in #5 if that is your flavor).

Once I shoot them in my S12 I will update the Ammo Table Guide for the "Select Defense" 00 Buckshot and #4 out of the MD20 (unless you beat me to running the #4 in your MD20 first) :-)

I do not understand the practicality of shooting buckshot out of a 20 round drum but I will do it for the sake of the guide!

-bp

I definitely agree with you on the quality vs price. Not stinky or gummy(if that makes since) and probably very good on some hunting for small to med. game birds(chukkar, pheasant, or mountain quail). Late season long shots in my area. Our hunting is fairly wide open spaces not a lot of trees.Out of any o/u, double, or decent auto it should be good. As far as dangling that much buck shot that low under a gnarly recoiling beastly serpent of a shotgun, to each their own.hahaha PS go shoot that thing!

Searched on "Herter's" and "Herters" in the 12ga forum........nothing. Looked at the 20-Round Drum docu and Herter's was not listed.

Soooooooooooooooo........has anyone shot this through their S12? It is exclusive to XXXXXX.

What caught my eye was obviously the price, weight, shot size, and FPS for some of these:

-BP

Herters is almost all Czech Republic made ammo made by S&B Sellier & Bellot. The former Czechoslovakia is full of minerals and they produce quality materials and machining. VW makes their cars there with Skoda. Their steel ends up in Japan and Germany to be rebranded Krupps and Hitachi. Not much is known about eastern europe over here but I have been there several times and they have shown to be top competitors after they got rid of the communist crap that they hated so much.

You will find all their ammunition to be high quality, consistent and a bit hotter than normal stuff over here. Stock up while it's cheap. Once people figure out that eastern european ammunition is actually better than the US crap being mass produced with lower standards, the price will be on the level with everything else.

-BP

Herters is almost all Czech Republic made ammo made by S&B Sellier & Bellot. The former Czechoslovakia is full of minerals and they produce quality materials and machining. VW makes their cars there with Skoda. Their steel ends up in Japan and Germany to be rebranded Krupps and Hitachi. Not much is known about eastern europe over here but I have been there several times and they have shown to be top competitors after they got rid of the communist crap that they hated so much.

You will find all their ammunition to be high quality, consistent and a bit hotter than normal stuff over here. Stock up while it's cheap. Once people figure out that eastern european ammunition is actually better than the US crap being mass produced with lower standards, the price will be on the level with everything else.

I agree with your post with the exception of country of origin for the select pheasant loads. It shows on the individual box and case carton "made in Italy" I believe at the "Chedite" ammo plant. BTW I love my 2 3/4 12 pellet S&B 00 buck loads, they just wont work in my drums(roll crimp to accommodate the extra 3 pellets).

Here's the way I understand it.... Cabela's buys ammo in bulk from several different overseas manufacturers.

The shotgun shells are loaded in Italy, the 7.62x39 is Tula, and their brass is either S&B or PPU.

They just repackage or have a deal with the manufacturer to package it as "Herter's Brand".

If you're browsing Cabela's website, you can usually click on the Q&A tab and find that someone has asked who manufactured that particular round.

apparently, cabellas purchased the right to use the name herters now....

-BP

I agree with your post with the exception of country of origin for the select pheasant loads. It shows on the individual box and case carton "made in Italy" I believe at the "Chedite" ammo plant. BTW I love my 2 3/4 12 pellet S&B 00 buck loads, they just wont work in my drums(roll crimp to accommodate the extra 3 pellets).

That's why I posted ("almost all") S&B, Herters and the rest of the bunch became part of the CBC group. Lots of plants merged after the commies got the shaft. http://intl.cbc.com.br/facilities

Looks like the Czech had the Italians do the same job for less money! smile.png

Edited by Stryker0946

I will have to look at the 20GA Pheasant Loads I also bought but I know the 12GA "Select Defense" 00 Buckshot says "made in Italy" on the box too. After doing some research is appears that the specs of this ammo is identical to the "Cheddite Pallettoni" rounds which would make sense (different box and logo printed on the shell maybe?).

And don't look now but the "Select Defense" 00 Buckshot just went on sale for $1.50 off a box of 10...............comes out to less than $0.45 a round.

Edited by burntpowder
  • 11 months later...

Talk about taking long enough to get around to this but today shot the OO Buckshot (9 Pellet, 1200FPS) and some of the Field and Target (#7.5, 1oz, 1290FPS) out of my MD20.  Both ran just fine.

I also updated the "Simplified MD20 Ammo Table" with these two loads.

-bp

Thanks. 

Good.

BTW, I have wondered for a while about centurion Italy, nobelsport Italy, and that other one that looks like centurion -  <RIO Spain> for a while. They seem to offer the same load types in identical looking hulls- generally clear chedite or fiocci (I don't know how to distinguish, but from what I have read virtually every thing from Europe is one or the other) Are they the same company, or possibly just customers of CBC that order ammo to spec and resell it?