Chaos Vepr 12 Quads

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You did pretty well, now let me take a stab at it!  

They look great on the Vepr12.

Here's a quick mock up of rail colors (black/blued and horrible attempt at burnt bronze) I threw together in photoshop in a couple mins:  

Posted Images

As of 8:44am mine is out for delivery and my mail usually runs around 11-11:30am so mine should be mounted in an hour or so. Already removed the gas tube cover and lower HG in anticipation of arrival. Just gotta put it together and get all giddy like a little school girl and all will be well.

Mine is in my town as of this morning, probably means delivery tomorrow.

Good stuff.

I might not get any pics up till Sunday, though - have to travel Friday afternoon for a wedding. horror.gif

Travel to the mailbox and marry your VEPR to its quadrail.

Here and installed. Looks amazing. Mated with a black Spikes VFG (aluminum) with the rubber o-ring inserts and bonesteel left sode folder it looks completely beautiful. Dont know how to do pics on this site but am trying to figure it out now.

Can no figure out the picture thing here. I texted some to other forum members :-)

It looks amazing.

CRZ,

Put on some gloves (mechanix wear type. And grip the plastic cover. Take a pair of good pluers and grip around the tube on the bigger end (pad to not mar the finish if you care) and apply good pressure. With the gloved hand twist until it comes free. Takes some effort but is well worth it once of and the quad is on :-)

CRZ,

Put on some gloves (mechanix wear type. And grip the plastic cover. Take a pair of good pluers and grip around the tube on the bigger end (pad to not mar the finish if you care) and apply good pressure. With the gloved hand twist until it comes free. Takes some effort but is well worth it once of and the quad is on :-)

Yep, I got it after watching someone rip their wood gas cover off on YouTube. Thanks, though!

The rail is on, and I was only 35 minutes late from my 1 hour lunch. Luckily, I don't have the type of job where anyone pays close attention.

I was almost there for another 30-45 messing with the stuff I have to go on those gorgeous rails when my good sense got the better of me.

Edited by CRZ

I got my Chaos VEPR12 Quad Rail today and here are my first impressions. The quality of the machining is awesome and they look great once they are installed properly. I am a bit disappointed that the bottom rail section is not quite long enough to provide a tight fit between the receiver and the front sliding sling swivel that the gas tube locks in. The whole unit will wiggle and slide about 1/8". I fixed this by wrapping the ends of the lower quad in black electrical tape which fills the space and provides filler to securely lock the bottom quad in. The top quad goes over the gas tube after removing the top plastic grip and then screws into the bottom quad section. The unit does not touch the gas tube in any way. Once I applied the electrical tape the fit was tight. For future production I would recommend leaving some material on both ends of the bottom quad so end users can custom fit the unit and file where necessary. I would also like to see a unit that does not require screws so it can be field stripped easily.

Secondly, the top quad blocks the front sight so I have raised the front sight high enough to see over the quad. I hope I will be able to zero the shotgun back in without to much parallax. I am planning on adding a micro red dot pretty soon so I am not that concerned. The top quad is pretty closely matched to the weaver rail on the dust cover so pop up sights could be added or they could be placed on the side rail up front.

So, for $158.95 it is good but not perfect. I think the electrical tape will hold out and keep everything snug as long as the bottom section is not removed very often. It will definitely give your shotgun an awesome tactical look and feel.

I guess I got Russian precision engineering to thank for the loose fit of my rails. I would be interested to find out if anyone else had loose fitting rails.

ugh oh.

Any other reports of sight issues and tight fit?

Yes...I had a bit of a loose fit, a little front and back play but I think to accommodate for the variances in manufacturing they included the two small set screws on the bottom rail. Once you snug them to the barrel everything is extremely solid.

Don't worry I thought the same thing and it was really disappointing but with just a twist or two and very light pressure on the barrel from those screws it tightened down like a champ! I have to think those are what they are there for I can't see another use for them. I was worried about them rubbing and scratching the barrel but I would hope that area doesn't really move a lot. We will see, but I am happy and would buy another, it is a VERY QUALITY productsuper_man.gif

Edited by Mountain Man

Some confirmation from Chaos regarding whether or not those are set screws on the bottom of the rail would be nice. There were no instructions and it didn't occur to me that those may be set screws. Still I would worry about scratching given the heavy recoil of the weapon platform and all.

I used mountain man's insight and wisdom and tightened those set screws but I am going to the electrical tape in place just cuz I'm too lazy to take it off and I want that quad to stay tight as my intention is to mount a forward grip to help take some recoil away from my shoulder and move my right arm down as I am a left handed shooter.

Any interference with your sight picture, MM?

Nope, sight picture looks good :) I am worried about my barrel getting scratched though and wondering if I could/should put some kind of buffer between them. I think just like a half sheet of instructions or tips would have helped a little, as I was in tears when I had a wobbly rail, lol....

If you choose to put any material between the lower set screws and the barrel i would use electrical tape there, but you will have to apply extra pressure to ensure a good seat. My opjnion is to use some blue loctitle and then tighten them accordingly. These guns are still Saigas at heart and have design variances to one size does not fit all. Milspec weapons are easy to make accessories for aince tolerances are withing thousandths to tens of thousandths of inches, but AK variants can be all over the place. The lower adjustment screws make this modifiable to your specific gun.

My personal impression.... Installed easily. Locks up nice and solid although i too wish it were field strippable but can live with needing one wrench. I Can not see a need to remove the lower ever so no use in carrying a wrench for the lower set screws. Mine does not interfere with the sights what so ever, but i wish they had make it compatible with the chaos HK style sights. Then they could have made the rear rail section the same and we could have had options for iron sights that are low profile and very functional. Certainly not a deal breaker but i like to stay with one company as much as possible and not have products from 85 makers on my firearms.

Did a test for you guys. Pulled out mine with a spikes VFG on it and jerked, pulled, held with one hand and shook, tried to rock it side to side, all with violent force. I then backed out the lower set screws and there was no marking on the barrel.

Some confirmation from Chaos regarding whether or not those are set screws on the bottom of the rail would be nice. There were no instructions and it didn't occur to me that those may be set screws. Still I would worry about scratching given the heavy recoil of the weapon platform and all.

Tightening the jack screws on the bottom lock everything up nice and tight!

I see some mentioning of putting material between the set screws and barrel, I don't recommend this, as you want the set screws to bite the barrel a little so they lock in there.

Thanks Cameron for setting us straight on the jack screws and for making this product to begin with. It does look awesome and now that I understand the jack screws and have a tight fit I am uber pleased with everything and highly recommend the Chaos VEPR 12 Quad Rail. Now let's talk about a purpose built drum magazine for the VEPR 12..........

• Like 1

Mine was pretty snug on the initial install, but there was a tiny amount of wiggle that I was worried might get more pronounced after I went to the range.

The jack screws will eat up that space no problem. Good stuff.

Thanks Cameron for setting us straight on the jack screws and for making this product to begin with. It does look awesome and now that I understand the jack screws and have a tight fit I am uber pleased with everything and highly recommend the Chaos VEPR 12 Quad Rail. Now let's talk about a purpose built drum magazine for the VEPR 12..........

Let's just bask in the glow of this goodness for at least a week before we start getting rabid with the what's next stuff.

Okay, maybe three days. bad_smile.gif

The USPS gods have smiled upon me and delivered a wonderus treasure in the form of a Chaos quad rail in my mail box :).

Very simple to install, looks sharp, after using the jack screws < I would have not seen them if you all did not tell me :)> it was a solid fit. I may still make a spacer if it slides forward when fired I would say I had about an .090 forward and back motion before using the jack screws. Nothing to complain about it a very nice addition.