Chaos Vepr 12 Quads

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You did pretty well, now let me take a stab at it!  

They look great on the Vepr12.

Here's a quick mock up of rail colors (black/blued and horrible attempt at burnt bronze) I threw together in photoshop in a couple mins:  

Posted Images

Some pics of mine installed, w/ accessories.

post-46823-0-65660000-1373673025_thumb.jpgpost-46823-0-53528000-1373673065_thumb.jpgpost-46823-0-28039700-1373673076_thumb.jpg

Also, here's the short video I used for removing the gas tube from the handguard using a vice. As simple as it is, it helps to see it done first and realize it's ok to use the force that's needed, especially for us mechanical-idiot types.

Looks like they could mill a channel down the center of the top rail and resolve any interference with the iron sights.

I will never relieve the center of a rail unless I flat have no choice, I just don't like the look. These have tons of sight clearance.

It didn't block the front sight or sight picture, for me it blocked the front sight post. I zeroed in with the sight post set pretty low and the top rail blocked the post requiring me to raise the post until I can see it. I have not been to the range to re-zero so I don't know what effect this will have for me. I usually take a pretty high cheek weld so the front sight post has been set low to adjust and allow me to bring the barrel down when shooting. Not a complaint but an observation for me as the top rail sits higher than the factory rail cover.

Looks like they could mill a channel down the center of the top rail and resolve any interference with the iron sights.

I will never relieve the center of a rail unless I flat have no choice, I just don't like the look. These have tons of sight clearance.

Cameron, do you have a time frame for the rear rail yet? I know, we just got the quad... At least you are busy... smile.png

Edited by Mountain Man

Cameron, do you have a time frame for the rear rail yet? I know, we just got the quad... At least you are busy... smile.png

Not at this point.

It didn't block the front sight or sight picture, for me it blocked the front sight post. I zeroed in with the sight post set pretty low and the top rail blocked the post requiring me to raise the post until I can see it. I have not been to the range to re-zero so I don't know what effect this will have for me. I usually take a pretty high cheek weld so the front sight post has been set low to adjust and allow me to bring the barrel down when shooting. Not a complaint but an observation for me as the top rail sits higher than the factory rail cover.

If it blocks the front post on a properly zeroed firearm, then it is blocking the correct sight picture.

I assume you can select a longer distance setting on the rear sight to raise it above the rail, and use this for your new zero. On a CQB shotgun this might be no big deal to some I suppose. However, on a rifle I would channel it on my mill. I would on my vepr shotgun too if I were to buy the rail. (I'm thinking about it)

I got to the range this weekend and replaced the front sight post with a bright orange front sight post. I can see the top of the post just above the rail and was able to adjust and shoot accurately. I threw on a foregrip and the jack screws held the quad rail tight through 100 rounds of #8, 2 3/4" target load. I did have to cinch the jack screws up about a quarter turn once I got back home and checked them. A little loctite will remedy that as I don't really need to take the bottom quads off as the barrel is accessible for cleaning/dusting. All-in-all I am very happy with the quad rail and if you are into rails I would highly recommend it.

• Like 1

Thors hammer is unofficially (by me) on the market offering a relief channel onto the rail.

Seriously, I would love to see what it would look like with the rail channeled. If you decide to get one and channel it pictures would be awesome.

So after putting my Chaos rail on I started realizing how heavy my Vepr was getting but after putting on a Magpul RVG it felt really balanced, I really recommend any type of VFG for the Vepr 12 it makes a big difference.

I just went with the Magpul because I didn't have to sink a lot of money into it and could return it easily at Cabella's if I end up not liking it. I also looked at the Tango Down Stubby and Larue FUG, but for me it just came down to price.

So after putting my Chaos rail on I started realizing how heavy my Vepr was getting but after putting on a Magpul RVG it felt really balanced, I really recommend any type of VFG for the Vepr 12 it makes a big difference.

I just went with the Magpul because I didn't have to sink a lot of money into it and could return it easily at Cabella's if I end up not liking it. I also looked at the Tango Down Stubby and Larue FUG, but for me it just came down to price.

Until you post a picture, this is a total lie

• Like 1

Lol, I really do enjoy the accountability smile.png

post-47698-0-63745400-1374094717_thumb.jpg

post-47698-0-22314400-1374094734_thumb.jpg

post-47698-0-64626300-1374094745_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Lol, I really do enjoy the accountability smile.png

attachicon.gifphoto(2).JPG

attachicon.gifphoto(3).JPG

attachicon.gifphoto(1).JPG

thanks for the verification!

CRZ, first off, very nice VEPR, loving the green, 2nd, how is the balance with the Chaos rails and that flashlight? Does the red dot and magpul stock balance it out?

1) thanks!

2) it's a tad forward-heavy, but yes, the STR and Trijicon reflex do help level it.

Overall, this is not a nimble beast.

• 1 month later...

The whole unit will wiggle and slide about 1/8". I fixed this by wrapping the ends of the lower quad in black electrical tape which fills the space and provides filler to securely lock the bottom quad in.

I used mountain man's insight and wisdom and tightened those set screws but I am going to the electrical tape in place just cuz I'm too lazy to take it off and I want that quad to stay tight as my intention is to mount a forward grip.

st381, please provide more detail on exactly where and how you applied electrical tape to the "ends of the quad rail to add stability to your installation.

The set screws to appear to have taken the "manual" play out of my installation but I likewise am going to have a go at a forward grip when I get this beast out to the range. If the tape is a clean application and if it complements the effect of the set screws I'll probably try it also.

Some confirmation from Chaos regarding whether or not those are set screws on the bottom of the rail would be nice. There were no instructions and it didn't occur to me that those may be set screws. Still I would worry about scratching given the heavy recoil of the weapon platform and all.

Tightening the jack screws on the bottom lock everything up nice and tight!

I see some mentioning of putting material between the set screws and barrel, I don't recommend this, as you want the set screws to bite the barrel a little so they lock in there.

I've heard rumors that these battle axes wear their "battle badges" proudly. The Chaos Quad Rail installed on this Com-Bloc noob's Vepr-12 with no notable problems whatsoever, and she hasn't even come close to breaking her maiden yet.

Concerning the jack screws, what say you about Loctite? Red or blue?

if you ever want to take it apart don't use red.

I was referring specifically to the jack screws - being concerned that the rail might get hammered hard enough for blue to loosen enough to effect the performance of an optical or laser device. Seems unlikely that the lower handguard would ever need to be removed but when I was installing it the thought crossed my mind that the lower rail could be removable even if the screws were installed with red loctite. Am curious to see what Cameron recommends.