AK-74 Educated Decision

After selling my AMD, I was on the hunt for a 74. I had heard lots of good things about the Waffenwerks rifles, but they had gone up at least $100 post Sandy hook. Classic here in NC had a helluva deal for $799.99, which included three additional mags, and a rifle bag.

I was pretty set on this purchase, till I went to check out and they tacked on $50 in taxes. I then began to do some research, I knew if they were made from bulgy kits there was only a handful of legitimate places in the US that make dealer grade receivers. So I narrowed it down to a few, that's when I realized TGI had been using nodak receivers on their 74s. And that "waffenwerks" probably was also.

I then stumbled upon a TGI branded 74 at AIM surplus for $750, which looked identical to the WW rifles. I'm really not picky with AKs (although I didnt want a Saiga 5.45), so after watching reviews on youtube i pulled the trigger. And what do you know, the receiver is stamped Waffen Werks. My research saved me at least $100, so I figured I would share this info and pass on the savings.

20130701_193958-1_zps88ac5984.jpg

Edited by fromxtor

I then stumbled upon a TGI branded 74 at AIM surplus for $750, which looked identical to the WW rifles. I'm really not picky with AKs (although I didnt want a Saiga 5.45),

curious as to why you didn't want a SAIGA 5.45? the SAIGA is a 100 percent factory built rifle, with the right diameter bore and chromed lined, the one you bought is a parts kit gun with a non-chrome US made barrel, which in all probability isn't the correct diameter for the 5.45 bullet.

honestly, if I was to drop that much coin on a AK, it certainly wouldn't be for a parts kit gun.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 1

It's not that I wouldn't buy a siaga, I have had a S12 for years, and have converted many others including a 5.45. I looked for one in 5.45 and really couldn't find any, and the ones I did were the already converted ones and were the same price . All of the waffenwerks rifles advertise a chrome lined barrel, and I would hope if they contracted a company to make the barrels they would be the right diameter.

My saiga is the only gun I own I would never sell, everything else I would get rid of if I had to. I just know how I am with saigas, I would have to blast it and recoat it like i did the S12. I would feel like I cheated just hitting the trigger guard area with spray paint.

• Like 1

I then stumbled upon a TGI branded 74 at AIM surplus for $750, which looked identical to the WW rifles. I'm really not picky with AKs (although I didnt want a Saiga 5.45),

curious as to why you didn't want a SAIGA 5.45? the SAIGA is a 100 percent factory built rifle, with the right diameter bore and chromed lined, the one you bought is a parts kit gun with a non-chrome US made barrel, which in all probability isn't the correct diameter for the 5.45 bullet.

honestly, if I was to drop that much coin on a AK, it certainly wouldn't be for a parts kit gun.

The TGI and WW guns have been chrome-lined and in spec for years. Almost all of the WW AK-74s are even serial matching, many of the kits unissued or lightly used. They're not comparable to the hit-or-miss Century M74 builds.

Some of the TGI builds had original Bulgarian barrels. You can ID these by looking for the fitment codes.. These are small numbers stamped on the barrel, usually near the rear sight block. This indicated the measured journal diameters on the assembly line so they could be fitted with barrel components of a comparable size.. Nice workaround to loose manufacturing tolerances at the time.

The US barrels are generally marked US as well, though sometimes this gets hidden under the RSB.

The relationship between TGI and WW is somewhat indirect. It's my understanding that TGI got into some trouble with the ATF regarding their manufacturing, and sold off a large portion of their kits to WW.

I wouldn't regret buying a WW over a Saiga, especially if I wanted a complete AK-74. The WW guns are also a nice example of Bulgarian/Russian AK-74s from the early 80s to the early 90s, as they were more or less identical at the time. But, I would probably enjoy an SGL-31 more if I was going to have only one AK-74.

FWIW.. I would never ever sell an AK, at all. I don't buy or build any that I wouldn't want to keep. Just a personal thing. Hope you enjoy your WW and hang onto it - it's a nice piece of history, even if it isn't a 100% factory gun like a Saiga.

Edited by mancat

The TGI and WW guns have been chrome-lined and in spec for years. Almost all of the WW AK-74s are even serial matching, many of the kits unissued or lightly used. They're not comparable to the hit-or-miss Century M74 builds.

Some of the TGI builds had original Bulgarian barrels. You can ID these by looking for the fitment codes.. These are small numbers stamped on the barrel, usually near the rear sight block. This indicated the measured journal diameters on the assembly line so they could be fitted with barrel components of a comparable size.. Nice workaround to loose manufacturing tolerances at the time.

The US barrels are generally marked US as well, though sometimes this gets hidden under the RSB.

The relationship between TGI and WW is somewhat indirect. It's my understanding that TGI got into some trouble with the ATF regarding their manufacturing, and sold off a large portion of their kits to WW.

I wouldn't regret buying a WW over a Saiga, especially if I wanted a complete AK-74. The WW guns are also a nice example of Bulgarian/Russian AK-74s from the early 80s to the early 90s, as they were more or less identical at the time. But, I would probably enjoy an SGL-31 more if I was going to have only one AK-74.

FWIW.. I would never ever sell an AK, at all. I don't buy or build any that I wouldn't want to keep. Just a personal thing. Hope you enjoy your WW and hang onto it - it's a nice piece of history, even if it isn't a 100% factory gun like a Saiga.

Thanks Mancat, I didnt really want to get rid of the AMD. Especially after finally getting to shoot it the week before It sold. I do plan on buying a AMD kit and making on in the near future. Hell I might even SBR it.

I think this is the best deal on the market to day . 1.5mm receiver,Zastava made AK, sucks they dont ship to Kalifornia , i would get 2 smile.png

J&G

CAI Yugo AKM-47 O-PAP OPAP M70 rifle, 7.62x39 cal, with pistol grip and wood stock 599$

http://www.jgsales.com/cai-yugo-akm-...*-p-60085.html

Thing that sucks is that it doesn't have the tritium night sights. That was the best feature of the late M70 kits. The PAP is still really nice otherwise, and it still has the provisions for the night sights if you can find the inserts.

damn Kalibad_egg.gif

doesnt have a gas block w/a flip up grenade sight, BECAUSE it has a bayo lug that an under-barrel grenade launcher can attach to, night sight and flip up are easy to fix ,but i would leave her like she is . :)

Edited by atakacorp